Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rancilio Silvia

Options
  • 09-04-2020 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,
    I am looking to buy a Rancilio Silvia. Obviously, with the lockdown, its going to be an online purchase. I can put it through my company as it will be set up in my office, somewhere in the UK that will accept a VAT free pruchse would be preferable.

Anywhere you guys can recommend?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've heard good things about https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/espresso-machines/all-coffee-machines.html

I've heard horror stories about espressocoffeeshop.ie though I have ordered with them in the past without issue, but if anything goes wrong you are on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/
    Bought a Quickmill Silvano of him. Based in Co. Galway I think.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

^^^

Very efficient company.
    Bought from them before and would definitely recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Did the Op make a purchase?

Habe finally talked myself into upgrading my little gaggia..

Will wait to order through the irish lad I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Newtown90 wrote: »
    Did the Op make a purchase?

Habe finally talked myself into upgrading my little gaggia..

Will wait to order through the irish lad I'd say.

Are you upgrading from a Gaggia classic? I'd honestly hold out for a step above if you are. I love my Silvia but it's on the same level as that machine in terms of usage and sometimes do hanker after a heat exchange/dual boiler, or some pressure settings without decking oout my machine with mods.

• Advertisement

J_E wrote: »
    Are you upgrading from a Gaggia classic? I'd honestly hold out for a step above if you are. I love my Silvia but it's on the same level as that machine in terms of usage and sometimes do hanker after a heat exchange/dual boiler, or some pressure settings without decking oout my machine with mods.

No I've a Gaggia Color for 12 months now.

Head was between a Classic or Silvia..

Bit fried from reading all the reviews.

No I've a Gaggia Color for 12 months now.

Head was between a Classic or Silvia..

Bit fried from reading all the reviews.

In that case, definitely the Silvia. Simple, robust machine. More space for cup, easier access to water tank, more steam power.

Keep an eye out for 2nd hand - you can get a good deal. If you're serious, invest as much as you did in the machine into a grinder. Something like a Rancilio Rocky or Eureka Mignon or Niche Zero. It will make your life so much easier.

Pulled the trigger on a Silvia today anyhow.

More fun starts now.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

If you're serious, invest as much as you did in the machine into a grinder. Something like a Rancilio Rocky or Eureka Mignon or Niche Zero. It will make your life so much easier.

Or at least a burr grinder, even a cheaper one. I have a Krups burr grinder which was only about €50 and I get very good coffee with that and the Silvia, with nice crema and excellent flavour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Pulled the trigger on a Silvia today anyhow.

More fun starts now.

Nice. ;)
    Run some cheap beans through it to get a feel for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Planet X wrote: »
    Nice. ;)
    Run some cheap beans through it to get a feel for it.

I would say avoid this.

Use the beans you're going to use from the start and just write off a few bags.

Even though I've given this advice in the past myself

The level of frustration is not worth the savings

Diziet wrote: »
    Or at least a burr grinder, even a cheaper one. I have a Krups burr grinder which was only about €50 and I get very good coffee with that and the Silvia, with nice crema and excellent flavour.

I would recommend anyone who is serious about espresso to save future troube and spend equal value to the machine on a grinder. Otherwise you're never going to be quite happy when you develop a good taste and want to play around with interesting coffees that are picky about grind settings. You won't lose much value on it in the future if it's a decent grinder.

Of course you can get away with less - I was using a €35 Hario Mini Mill on mine for ages. There's nothing more frustrating than shots that channel and flavour that never quite gets consistently great though.

I would recommend anyone who is serious about espresso to save future troube and spend equal value to the machine on a grinder. Otherwise you're never going to be quite happy when you develop a good taste and want to play around with interesting coffees that are picky about grind settings. You won't lose much value on it in the future if it's a decent grinder.

Of course you can get away with less - I was using a €35 Hario Mini Mill on mine for ages. There's nothing more frustrating than shots that channel and flavour that never quite gets consistently great though.

Is the rocky good enough to compliment it?

I've been reading reviews and everyone's opinion differs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Is the rocky good enough to compliment it?

I've been reading reviews and everyone's opinion differs.

I had a Rocky for years. Good solid espresso grinder, though it's a stepped one. Good for up to French press. Changed it for a larger grinder.
    https://images.app.goo.gl/2iZeegCNJmYgbfBS7

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

Purchased a silvia and eureka mignon specialita grinder a couple of week ago and I'm very happy with both. Both machines are built like tanks. I'd been using a hario slim hand grinder with a couple of delonghi machines for years. I wish I'd upgraded sooner.

There's definitely a learning curve with some beans to be wasted before you can get consistent shots, but they are delicious when you get it right. The 30 minute auto-power-off function of the silvia is very annoying however and I've just ordered a v4 power switch and light to by-pass the issue and put the machine on a timer/smart socket instead.

https://voir.pt/2018/11/16/echter-rancilio-silvia-e-umbau-auf-alte-version-v5-mit-funktionierenden-lampen/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

ShevY wrote: »
    Purchased a silvia and eureka mignon specialita grinder a couple of week ago and I'm very happy with both. Both machines are built like tanks. I'd been using a hario slim hand grinder with a couple of delonghi machines for years. I wish I'd upgraded sooner.

There's definitely a learning curve with some beans to be wasted before you can get consistent shots, but they are delicious when you get it right. The 30 minute auto-power-off function of the silvia is very annoying however and I've just ordered a v4 power switch and light to by-pass the issue and put the machine on a timer/smart socket instead.

https://voir.pt/2018/11/16/echter-rancilio-silvia-e-umbau-auf-alte-version-v5-mit-funktionierenden-lampen/

Where did you purchase, if you don’t mind me asking?

Looking at the same combo on Bellabarista...anyone have experience with them? Reviews seem overwhelmingly positive.

Is the Silvia just a plug in and go, or are there any power requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Let us know how it goes. Would really like to do a similar conversion myself, but would likely need more detailed photos (hint, hint!).

fullstop wrote: »
    Where did you purchase, if you don’t mind me asking?

Looking at the same combo on Bellabarista...anyone have experience with them? Reviews seem overwhelmingly positive.

Is the Silvia just a plug in and go, or are there any power requirements?

Update on this. Went ahead with bellabarista.co.uk. Had contacted homecoffeemachines.ie and got a pretty curt reply saying none in stock and would be weeks - no offer to follow up or anything else, which I thought was off given I would be spending €1k with them. Bella Barista were really helpful and provided any info I asked for within a couple of hours.

From time of order to arriving was not even 3 days and 2kg of coffee included to get the grinder set up. Really happy with it all so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭timmaii

Hi fullstop, enjoy the new setup. How much do Bella Barista charge for shipping to Ireland if you don't mind me asking? I had a look but couldn't see it on their website.

timmaii wrote: »
    Hi fullstop, enjoy the new setup. How much do Bella Barista charge for shipping to Ireland if you don't mind me asking? I had a look but couldn't see it on their website.

Sorry just seeing this now. Shipping was only €35, well worth that for the speed of service as well.

• Advertisement

Let us know how it goes. Would really like to do a similar conversion myself, but would likely need more detailed photos (hint, hint!).

oy8oyY8.jpg

Finally got around to doing this tonight using a combination of the circuit diagrams from here:

And the instructions from this post, which I found better, but still not great after going through google translate:

https://www.kaffee-netz.de/threads/neue-version-der-rancilio-silvia-die-silvia-e.95518/page-8#post-1738872

Some pics here, everything working as normal, got rid of the big bolt on the shower screen also:

https://imgur.com/a/4icU827

@fullstop, to answer your previous question, I bought mine at Bertazzofoods.com, which was the cheapest on that day. How has the Silvia been for you?

Next is the Auber PID that I have sitting here, want to mount that internally, that may be it then with the mods..

@fullstop, to answer your previous question, I bought mine at Bertazzofoods.com, which was the cheapest on that day. How has the Silvia been for you?
    It’s been great. My only previous experience of making ‘proper’ coffee was on La Marzocco and Wega machines, so I thought I might struggle to get the quality I was hoping for, but I’ve been very pleasantly surprised.

Is there anyone in Ireland that installs PID's for these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

limnam wrote: »

Easy enough DIY job. You could ask someone (electrician/computer/mobile phone repairs ) to do it for you.
    I guess any company servicing commercial espresso machines could do it too.
    Ask them
    https://www.homecoffeemachines.ie/collections/rancilio/products/rancilio-repair

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

limnam wrote: »

I've installed a PID on a Gaggia Classic, would be similar enough to the Silvia. I'd say give it a shot yourself, it's not as complex or difficult as it may seem, most of them (like the Auber etc) tend to have pretty comprehensive guides and there's plenty of info online on installations.

I've installed a PID on a Gaggia Classic, would be similar enough to the Silvia. I'd say give it a shot yourself, it's not as complex or difficult as it may seem, most of them (like the Auber etc) tend to have pretty comprehensive guides and there's plenty of info online on installations.

Yeah I've watched a few videos etc on them already.

My past history would have a coffee machine sitting on a bench for months un-usable :)

I'd rather give someone a few quid and get it done right and quickly

But yeah I might end up just giving it a lash.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 FocusST

OP here. I didn't go for it in the end, kind of distracted with COVID! Keen to go ahead now. Is there anywhere in Dublin that sells these or do you absolutely have to go online?

FocusST wrote: »
    OP here. I didn't go for it in the end, kind of distracted with COVID! Keen to go ahead now. Is there anywhere in Dublin that sells these or do you absolutely have to go online?

You'd have to buy these online although they are or were a few months ago fairly few and far between!

I've mine about 2 months now and am really enjoying it. Big step up from my old Gaggia Coleur.

Got PID installed today after having an empty hole in the machine for the last few weeks.

Tw0pMgY.jpg

Wnzsopt.jpg

eqEbeCz.jpg

9yhGLue.jpg

bnvRsNj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Hi there. I've fallen in to the coffee web and thinking of getting one of these machines. Had been looking at Sage Barista Express/Pro but the consensus seems to be separate machine and grinder is a better combination...

This is my first time with espresso, French Press/Aerop/Moka Pot up to now with my trusty Baratza Encore (which I may now be getting rid of!).

Any thoughts on what this machine is like for a beginner (who's willing to learn)? Will I be able to pull some decent espresso with a bit of practice, or will I realistically be tearing my hair out for the first few months.

Is seems the Rancilio Silvia and the Gaggia Classic are the "go-to" for most people but I'd love to hear other's experiences.

Cheers.

Advertisement