Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setanta: naming a child

Options
  • 06-12-2015 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

So I'm not sure where to post this. I wanted to know what peoples thoughts were in naming a child Setanta.
    Myself and my husband are clashing with the name, he loves it. I on the other hand am not keen.
    Firstly our 2year old will just say Santa!
    Genuine thoughts or experiences with the name please.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Isnt it a sports channel?

Honestly, I dont like it. But its a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

So I'm not sure where to post this. I wanted to know what peoples thoughts were in naming a child Setanta.
    Myself and my husband are clashing with the name, he loves it. I on the other hand am not keen.
    Genuine thoughts or experiences with the name please.
    There's a "Baby names" thread under the "Pregnant" section of this (Parenting) forum.
    Setanta, I kind of like the SOUND of it but I associate it with Setanta sports and also wonder if people would think it pretentious given its origins re Cuchulainn?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Depends on the surname too. All first names depend on a surname. I know a child called setantA and he's adorable so the name doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

i think if your both not in agreement then go back to the drawing board / internet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I think it is one I would rule out because it has been unfortunately zapped by a brand name. Would he call the child Sky Sports Two?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

The first thing I think of is the tv channel so that alone would be enough to put me off it.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

it's a nice name but inappropriate for a child

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

eviltwin wrote: »
    The first thing I think of is the tv channel so that alone would be enough to put me off it.

Or Setanta Insurance which went broke last year leaving a lot of angry customers... OP might be useful to have that as another reason against the name (since you don't like it!) ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

No. I wouldn't. Again would you call your child Skye?

Gaygooner wrote: »
    No. I wouldn't. Again would you call your child Skye?

at least the poor lad will be able to spell skye

• Advertisement

Setanta is easier to spell IMHO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

When I see baby name, child name, I wonder how many consider that that baby has to grow up. Our golden rule was will he/she like it. One baby (we deliberated over most) is 21 now and loves her name (so do the others). Choose your child's name well; they choose your nursing home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭exaisle

When I see baby name, child name, I wonder how many consider that that baby has to grow up. Our golden rule was will he/she like it. One baby (we deliberated over most) is 21 now and loves her name (so do the others). Choose your child's name well; they choose your nursing home.

Yes..I agree....remember that you're naming an adult....not just a child...

That's why I dislike children given baby or pet names

Katie & Jack two very popular examples

What's wrong with Catherine & John and call them by the pet names???

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I like the name, but it's mythological, so I don't think it's appropriate for naming children unless you're fabulously wealthy. It would be like calling your kids Merlin or Odysseus.

Is Setanta coming out to play?

I wonder if Setanta is ready for this promotion?

Do you take this man Setanta to be your lawful wedded husband?

Well? Now what do you think?

Is Setanta coming out to play?

I wonder if Setanta is ready for this promotion?

Do you take this man Setanta to be your lawful wedded husband?

Well? Now what do you think?

good thinking, you could get royalties from setanta sports

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

XR3i wrote: »
    it's a nice name but inappropriate for a child

So he'll grow into it? :confused:

Weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Pink One

I actually love it and I would associate it with the mythical legend and not the TV station. I used to teach a little boy called Setanta and it suited him so much but there were four brothers in his family and they all had strong Irish names. I do love it and associate it with strength and courage! I did love that little boy so maybe I'm bias too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

If your surname is O'hAilpín or Sports then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

As they'll be 2 forever and unable to pronounce words for the next 80 odd years . I'd base a life long decisions on what they can or can not pronounce at this given moment

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AvonEnniskerry

Some great posts there. In fairness I'm all for unusual names... Though i just don't like Setanta for my child. My husband really wants it which is why I said I'd see what others thought. Hate old names (Agnes) on children and stupid names (Bunny) on adults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

I like the name, but it's mythological, so I don't think it's appropriate for naming children unless you're fabulously wealthy. It would be like calling your kids Merlin or Odysseus.

Maeve? Deirdre? Grainne? Fionn? etc etc. All mythological names...

Gaygooner wrote: »
    That's why I dislike children given baby or pet names

Katie & Jack two very popular examples

What's wrong with Catherine & John and call them by the pet names???

katie is a beautiful name, good suggestion

testicle wrote: »
    If your surname is O'hAilpín or Sports then go for it.

great hurling names

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

When I saw the thread title without the context of the forum it was in, I though that they (the channel Setanta) had given out a childs name in some capacity without permission not a name, I have ever heard a person called by either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Ok folks. No problem with opinions but leave the smart remarks at the door please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Actually really ike the name, always wandered why it's not more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Its not an awful name at all but its a bit of a mouthful if you have to shout it, what will it get shortened to as other kids won't call him by his full name for too long, Set?, Tanta?

• Advertisement

I think it's a gorgeous strong Irish name.

Unfortunately though, as others have said, it's now a brand name and so I wouldn't choose it myself.

Advertisement