Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2015 Cooking Club Week 10: Lamb doner kebabs with salad and sauces

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,335 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Sometimes Dizzy, I think you live in my mind! ;)

Kebabs were on the menu for last night's dinner but our friends postponed till today. Can't do Kebabs for Sunday lunch I'm afraid. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Sometimes Dizzy, I think you live in my mind! ;)

Kebabs were on the menu for last night's dinner but our friends postponed till today. Can't do Kebabs for Sunday lunch I'm afraid. :(

Be very afraid :D

Edit: I've found these wraps to be the absolute best for kebabs. They're lighter than pitta and airier than the usual wraps, and the perfect size. I get them in JC's supermarket in Swords in Dublin, for anyone living out this way - Dunnes and Supervalu don't seem to do them, but they're made in Ireland so they must be available elsewhere.

axeh77.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Planning on making this recipe soon, it looks great!

Does anyone have a good recipe for the taftoon bread to go with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Muahahaha wrote: »

Does anyone have a good recipe for the taftoon bread to go with it?

Kept meaning to have a go at the bread, but never got around to it. There's a few recipes online and, from memory, they're pretty easy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

We had a kebabfest again last weekend, there were nine of us :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bigronnie9

We had a kebabfest again last weekend, there were nine of us :)

I'm jealous, I need to have a go off this again
    Muahahaha wrote: »

You will be very happy you tried this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

How is it I have only found this thread now!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Are friend in Germany made this over the weekend, looks savage !
    DNez1CpXkAABhEg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭anewme

This recipe is the gift that keeps on giving.

Made on loveky wraps from the Asian supermarket.

Served with spice bag oven chips and pink gin and Prosecco cocktails.

Happy Easter.

160as92.jpg

Made this recipe last night and finally got around to making the tafoon bread to go with it. Theres lots of varying recipes online but this is the one I used and it worked out great

500g Plain Flour
    300ml water
    2 teaspoons dried yeast
    1 tablespoon sugar
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons greek yoghurt

That produced an 800g dough which is good for four doughballs which stretch to a disc of about 11 inches

I kneaded it for 10 mins and proved it for 2 hours before rolling it very thin and baking it in the pizza oven. Make sure to pierce the rolled disc all over with a fork or else the bread will rise up with tons of bubbles. In the pizza oven it only takes about 2 minutes to bake so you have to keep an eye on it or it will quickly turn too crisp on the underneath.

The bread turned out very well, had a nice texture and chewiness to it.It is pretty similar to the bread they use in Zaytoon. The only flaw of the meal was that I decided to cheat on making the the lamb kebab meat and instead bought a packet of kebab meat from Iceland to try out. That was a huge mistake, it is absolutely rotten stuff which is way too fatty. The remainder of the packet is now lying in the composter. Serves me right for taking short cuts :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

Made these again with beef mince, they get better every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Be very afraid :D

Edit: I've found these wraps to be the absolute best for kebabs. They're lighter than pitta and airier than the usual wraps, and the perfect size. I get them in JC's supermarket in Swords in Dublin, for anyone living out this way - Dunnes and Supervalu don't seem to do them, but they're made in Ireland so they must be available elsewhere.

axeh77.jpg

Any update on the availability of the above the usual big name shops yet???

Masala wrote: »
    Any update on the availability of the above the usual big name shops yet???

Those particular ones are in Tesco - and the same wraps with a different label are now in Dunnes :)

I've bought both recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

IMG_0368.JPGIMG_0368.JPGOk. Made this tonight. Pretty happy with tge salad and sauces. Lamb was a bit flakey and broke up very easy

Took some pics for prosperity...

IMG_0368.JPG

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

3 years since this recipe was posted and it never once occurred to me to make it.

Until this weekend.

I had defrosted lamb mince, but 30 degree weather doesn’t lend itself to cottage pie and we’ve eaten too many burgers recently, so I decided to try this. I think I’d thought it was more complicated than the recipe actually is.

Either way, this was a MAJOR hit! Really simple to prepare, cheap once you’ve got all the herbs and so satisfying! Had it after an afternoon lazing in the garden with a few drinks, so it was perfect. Mr Faith, who had been a bit indifferent to my suggestion, declared it “bloody marvellous” and horsed into it like a man who hadn’t eaten in weeks.

This recipe is definitely getting added into the rotation. Thanks!

Made this recipe again earlier this evening and suffered my first kitchen disaster of 2019 :o Spent almost an hour prepping the lamb, salad and sauces this afternoon as well as making dough for the taftoon bread. Then relaxed for a few hours while the dough proved before setting up the pizza oven to pre-heat. It switched on fine but within a minute every light in the house knocked off. Re-tripped the switch at the fuseboard and went again to a different socket but it tripped again.

So had to make do with the regular oven. Only problem there is it is about 20 years old and even turned up to 250 degrees I doubt it is even achieving 200, feels like 180 tops. Im doing a kitchen renovation this year so can't wait to bin this oven, its had its day and Ive hated it since the day I moved in. Tafoon, like naan, needs a really high temperature to bake properly and this oven definitely cannot do that. So I end up with breads that are just stodgy, while they were edible it was nothing like it should have been.

To compound matters further instead of making a loaf from the lamb mix I opted to do skewers and to grill them. Grilling lamb with 15% fat content was not a good idea, the whole kitchen got smoked out of it and the fat was spitting at the grill causing flames, I thought I was gonna have a proper fire at one stage.

Anyway it was a pain in the arse as I was looking forward to this kebab recipe all week. Partner was laughing her head off at the panic in the kitchen. All got eaten in the end and was delicious as usual (bar the bread :o). Stuck the remainder of the dough in the freezer till I can get a hardware shop for a new fuse, I shall overcome :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭LeBash

About 3 years ago I went onto boards and this way up as one of the most recent posts. We make this maybe once per month and on a few occasions I've made a monster load and brought into work for everyone.

Super recipe and it's great for avoiding a takeaway in our place.

From time to time Lidl have "curry ketchup", that with some chilli powder mixed in is amazing.

Was in the US and brought home son "joeys". They were big pitta but they didn't break up, hopefully those things above are similar. I'll try find some around.

Hanx to the OP for putting this up!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Finally got around to making this. My 2 sons, who love their Doner Kebabs, couldn't get over how good these were. Fortunately my husband wasn't home, otherwise we wouldn't have had enough. I will double the recipe next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

First time making these really good. Used beef partly because it's what I had and my wife does't eat lamb. I'll try lamb next time and make some beef or chicken for her too. Didn't make the red sauce (had no mint) just used siracha and put a table spoon of ketchup into the salad mix.

I ate 3! Wife just one and the kids a small one each.

Must find some better pittas or make my own to have next time.

471135.jpg

471136.jpg

Ryath wrote: »
    First time making these really good. Used beef partly because it's what I had and my wife does't eat lamb. I'll try lamb next time and make some beef or chicken for her too. Didn't make the red sauce (had no mint) just used siracha and put a table spoon of ketchup into the salad mix.

I ate 3! Wife just one and the kids a small one each.

Must find some better pittas or make my own to have next time.

/IMG]

Make your own flatbreads - so simple - takes 3 minutes to cook.

Makes 6 medium sized ones:

350 grams of self-raising flour
    teaspoon of baking powder
    350 grams of natural yoghurt (greek style is fine)-
    minced or finely chopped garlic

Mix all ingredients until they come together as a dough. shape into a round loaf and divide into 6 equal pieces. roll each one into a ball and pat out or roll out into a pitta bread shape.
    Get your grill pan very hot or indeed your BBQ. dry grill (no oil) on one side for about 1 minute to 1 min 30 seconds depending on heat. turnover and repeat but this time brush the cooked side with warm garlic oil.
    remove from heat. EAT!

Serve with a sauce of chopped mint, chopped pealed and deseeded cucumber, a little garlic oil and a lot of natural yoghurt all mixed up together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Made this again tonight. So good! Used the folded flatbreads from Aldi this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Made this for the first time in about 2 years for guests. Absolutely raved about it. I made an accompanying rice of onion lightly sauteed in butter, cardamom and tumeric and it was perfect with it. Stuffed and very satisfied!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Made this this evening. Omg it’s fab. I didn’t have the ingredients for the sauces. Will definitely make this again.

maryk123 wrote: »
    Made this this evening. Omg it’s fab. I didn’t have the ingredients for the sauces. Will definitely make this again.

Definitely get the ingredients for the sauces on your next run out- they really elevate the dish. Also consider making dough for the tafoon bread, its a bit of extra effort but a lot better than supermarket bought pita breads.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Where do I get the onion and garlic powder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

maryk123 wrote: »
    Where do I get the onion and garlic powder.

Should be able to get them in Tesco or most supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

If you remember Janice from Friends, you will have an idea of our reaction on making and devouring these today. Everything is just so harmonious and tasty. Definitely making again. I used wraps from Dunnes and they held everything very well. I might salt and blot the sliced tomatonext time, and was glad I'd deseeded the cucumber.

Dubl07 wrote: »
    If you remember Janice from Friends, you will have an idea of our reaction on making and devouring these today. Everything is just so harmonious and tasty. Definitely making again. I used wraps from Dunnes and they held everything very well. I might salt and blot the sliced tomatonext time, and was glad I'd deseeded the cucumber.

OH. MY. GODDDDDD!!! :pac:

We react that way every time we have them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Should be able to get them in Tesco or most supermarkets.

Yes tesco have both in the spice section. I get garlic granules rather than powder as the powder is horrible to work with and absorbs moisture from the air.

Also be careful not to get onion salt or garlic salt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The salad is a big hit here but I've tweaked it a little as we had leftovers the first two times. This time I deseeded and salted the cucumber and salted the tomatoes then rinsed and dried both. I'm served the lettuce in a separarate bowl to add at the table. It's fresher and crunchier. Yes, this is the third time in a week but we're having the chicken version this time. I'm possibly going to try it with seitan this weekend.

Advertisement