Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 litre Beer Keg

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Have you done it? what's the quality like compared to straight out the keg? Kinda tempted, if I could be sure that they Irish Craft Breweries are committed to mini kegs!

The craft ones I've looked at in Supervalu should fit straight in, without having to remove the whole bung.
    If it is black in the centre and red hard plastic on the outside you have to remove the whole bung.
    If is its red on the vent and black rubber on the outside you just need to remove the centre and slide the Spike in.
    It's unbelievable how easy the latter is, compared to the solid plastic bung

The Mulk wrote: »
    The craft ones I've looked at in Supervalu should fit straight in, without having to remove the whole bung.
    If it is black in the centre and red hard plastic on the outside you have to remove the whole bung.
    If is its red on the vent and black rubber on the outside you just need to remove the centre and slide the Spike in.
    It's unbelievable how easy the latter is, compared to the solid plastic bung

Easier one and side by side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Do the likes of SuperValu, Dunnes, Tesco sell these mini-kegs and if so what kind of price are we talking? €20-25?

I'd like to try one of the ones from the German website on here, but it seems to be risky on it being stopped and charges thrown in on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think there are Krombacher 5lt ones in my local Dunnes at the moment, for 25e. I used to get excited about them but I don't think they're worth the hassle once the novelty wears off. Krombacher from a bottle is delicious enough.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

My local SuperValu has Veltins in minikeg.

• Advertisement

I think there are Krombacher 5lt ones in my local Dunnes at the moment, for 25e. I used to get excited about them but I don't think they're worth the hassle once the novelty wears off. Krombacher from a bottle is delicious enough.

Yeah, I found the one on SuperValu, the price per litre is more than most cans so unless you got the German kegs through without charges, it doesn't make sense to buy these here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,841 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

BeerNut wrote: »
    My local SuperValu has Veltins in minikeg.

Oh I do love Veltins. 25e is a bit steep though, I'm pretty sure I bought one in Munich years ago for 8 euros. But even now a bottle of Augustiner Helles is around 70c in a Munich shop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Are you sure?
    I was assured by moderators on boards that all these jersies were perfectly legal and this is why there was a very long running thread about them

They've never been legal - Revenue have always had the ability to destroy them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I like the idea of this, but I think there is a bit of a novelty factor.

€25 for 5 litres of Krombacher seems an awful lot more expensive than buying individual units.

I bought a mini-keg of Little Fawn IPA in McHughs Kilbarrack a few weeks back and it was pretty disappointing. I spotted afterwards that the cans were in a 4 for 10 offer so the keg worked out at the same price / a few cents dearer at €38, and even after letting it rest for a few days I got massive heads and flat beer a few mins later. I probably lost 500mls down the sink.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I honestly think these kegs simply aren't worth it.

The novelty factor is limited to purchasing it, after that - the cooling, the setting up, the first pour, the waste - is just not worth it.

And coming back to the keg a day later is usually met with disappointment as the beer tends to have lost a lot of its gas.

If they were cheaper (say €15-€20) then maybe, but not at €25+ for a keg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

hi tom :)

I love them personally as I can put my home brew in them and use my small keg dispenser to have my own beer on tap

we're doing a couple of batches over the next few weeks you should call over for a sample. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I love them personally as I can put my home brew in them and use my small keg dispenser to have my own beer on tap
    Still mulling this over.... Are the mini kegs easily cleaned and refilled. Not so much for homebrew, but a couple of glass growlers in from the local places.

I know there's the ikegger option for growlers, but it's either/or financially!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭IrishGaz

Veltin kegs reduced to €10 in Centra and Super Value

IrishGaz wrote: »
    Veltin kegs reduced to €10 in Centra and Super Value

Nice one, anyone spot these around Nth Kildare for €10 can they post where. I've seen them for €20 in Super Valu Celbridge. Will keep an eye out!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,787 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Are the mini kegs easily cleaned and refilled. Not so much for homebrew, but a couple of glass growlers in from the local places.
    They are easy enough to take apart and clean, but what are you planning to do here? Decant from a growler into the keg?

BeerNut wrote: »
    They are easy enough to take apart and clean, but what are you planning to do here? Decant from a growler into the keg?
    Yes, and then into the dispenser (with a top up of CO2). Probably still get me over the justification line, but it'd help!

Yes, and then into the dispenser (with a top up of CO2). Probably still get me over the justification line, but it'd help!

I wonder would they fill it in a growler station for you, rather than going bottle to keg. Bring a rubber bung along !

I wonder would they fill it in a growler station for you, rather than going bottle to keg. Bring a rubber bung along !
    Yes, the most obvious solution, that I didn't think of!

Yes, the most obvious solution, that I didn't think of!

I was thinking of this too. I'm not sure how the gas would keep though.

I have to say the Paulaner i got earlier on this year was the nicest i've had yet, as good as any pint i've had before.

Krombacher and Warsteiner are good too.

It looks like they're not taking off over here , especially with some reduced to €10.
    Pity, it's a good system and a great selection available in other European countries.
    I might look at making a home brew and filling the kegs, i've made some nice beer before but hated the bottling part

It looks like they're not taking off over here , especially with some reduced to €10.
    Pity, it's a good system and a great selection available in other European countries.
    It's the upfront cost that's putting me off. And I'm a bit wary that craft brewies (which I drink) won't stick with them and it was just a lockdown thing.

I've done a couple with the brother in law, but just from the keg (and not a dispenser) there's not much advantage over growlers, except I could order on line with delivery rather than go somewhere with a tap/ the brewery.

• Advertisement

It's the upfront cost that's putting me off. And I'm a bit wary that craft brewies (which I drink) won't stick with them and it was just a lockdown thing.

I've done a couple with the brother in law, but just from the keg (and not a dispenser) there's not much advantage over growlers, except I could order on line with delivery rather than go somewhere with a tap/ the brewery.

I know, the shops do seem to be selling them(mini kegs) off, including the craft ones.
    I found the online delivery for Germany brilliant, but that seems to be stopped now.
    Keep an eye on Amazon.de you might pick one up

I know, the shops do seem to be selling them(mini kegs) off, including the craft ones.
    Yeah I might have it arse ways, and mini keg into ikegger might be a better option!

I think ultimately, I like having different beers so much that I'm not really committed to 5 litres of a single beer. So mini kegs only work if they're for sharing. Hence looking at dispensers that add CO2 and make them last. A dispenser is a lot of cans/ bottles.

Yeah I might have it arse ways, and mini keg into ikegger might be a better option!

I think ultimately, I like having different beers so much that I'm not really committed to 5 litres of a single beer. So mini kegs only work if they're for sharing. Hence looking at dispensers that add CO2 and make them last. A dispenser is a lot of cans/ bottles.

Good luck with you're choice, they take up a lot of space on the counter top too.
    Mines in my home office and I have a few spare kegs in the fridge there too, I usually bring it into the kitchen if we have anyone over and tap a fresh keg.(seems like distant memories now :()

• Registered Users Posts: 23 HoopStudios

Has anybody used spiritbox.com for ordering kegs? I was looking for an alternative to bier-wein.de giving the negative reviews they have. I am trying to get some of the 5 litre paulaner or other hefeweizen kegs. I have also checked out amazon.de and they are available but the shipping is quite steep.

I suppose regardless of the site there is the risk of getting stopped at customs.

Just looking at the 5 litre kegs from bier-wein.de

When you include the shipping costs (€15 to Ireland) it works out approx the same as buying one of these in any off license - am I wrong?

Or is there a clever way around the shipping costs that people are using?

When you include the shipping costs (€15 to Ireland) it works out approx the same as buying one of these in any off license - am I wrong?

Generally buying 4 or 5 at a time.
    4 Paulaner was €63 if I remember correctly

I haven't been able to find the kegs near where I am unfortunately so online would be the only option.

Generally buying 4 or 5 at a time.
    4 Paulaner was €63 if I remember correctly

Did you have any issue with using bier-wein.de?

Did you have any issue with using bier-wein.de?

They don't reply to emails or update their order status on the website too often.
    Although everything was delivered within 4 weeks.
    I'm not sure what custom charges are like now

• Advertisement

They don't reply to emails or update their order status on the website too often.
    Although everything was delivered within 4 weeks.
    I'm not sure what custom charges are like now

Cool, thanks.

Advertisement