Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help

Options
  • 08-07-2020 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

So i am really stressed out atm. I will be starting college in September and I have no summer job to earn money. i have been applying for jobs on indeed and handed CVs in everywhere but i have heard nothing back yet. i have about €8000 in savings and my parents said they would cover tuition and accommodation but i am just scared i will not have enough for food transport etc. how much would u usually spend every week in college approx?, I also applied to Susi but we didn’t qualify

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

you'll be fine, a lot of people have a lot less to live on. Budget, and stick to it. Keep looking for a job and you might pick up a part time job once you are at college. Learning to manage your finances are part of growing up, if you can't afford it, you go without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

St Vincent DePaul. This is literally what they're for.

Have a chat with them and explain your case and see if they can assist with your college fee's in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Firstly let me say the situation we have at the moment (virus, economic crisis) is out of your control so you should not get upset at yourself for not having a summer job. Based on what you've told us, you're doing everything right, so the situation is pretty much out of your control.

The good news is it's possible to live very cheaply. Cycling instead of public transport. Buying massive bags of rice and pasta and making your meals based on them. There are websites which explain how you can mix foods to ensure you are getting proper nutrition. I'm making this up, but they say things like if you mix potatoes + lentils + carrots you get complete nutrition. This kind of thing is important as you want to make sure your cheap meals are good for you.

You could try to teach English online. go to the website https://www.thebeijinger.com and look at the job ads. They're always looking for English teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

OP - to give you an idea of living costs, outside of accommodation costs (mortgage, insurance, management fees) I spend €10k per year. If your parents are covering accommodation and course fees, your savings would easily cover 9 months of the academic year, and probably even a full 12 months.

This is a worst case scenario for year one. Keep looking for work, but know this is outside of your control - and you already have a contingency for year one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Mod:
    Don't start multiple threads on the same topic in different forums; to continue help the OP please post here but note the new charter in play.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement