Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance query - please help

• 07-07-2020 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

I apologise if this is covered elsewhere but I have tried to look up information on this online and can't make sense of any of the articles I've found.

I have worked all my life, never been unemployed, never been fired. I've just been informed that I'm being considered for redundancy, I won't know the result of that until August. In the meantime I want to know what my finances will look like if I end up redundant.

I am 40, female, single, no dependents. I rent a bedsit at 700 per month and have rented it for 5 years. I have no other income but I have 5000 in a savings account that I started a few years ago in the hopes that one day I might afford a mortgage.

I think I would be entitled to 203 per week Jobseekers Allowance. But I don't have a clue about rent allowance. How exactly does it work - does the state pay my landlord on my behalf or do I have to contribute out of the 203 I get via JSA? Do I get any money coming into my account on top of the 203 JSA weekly?

I'm really sorry to be so clueless here but this has never happened in all my working life and I'm terrified I won't be able to afford to make ends meet.

Comments

You will qualify for HAP (Rent allowance is the old system).

You can find out more here including the rent limits for your county.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/housing_assistance_payment.html

http://hap.ie/

Your contribution per week would be roughly 20-30 euro to your local authority plus any difference between the 700 euro per month and your county rent limit. Your landlord gets their rent limit payment directly to their bank account.

Start the ball rolling now as HAP can take several weeks to come through.

If you are on a low income you might already qualify for HAP - Net income amounts can be found here

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭davesangel

Thanks for this. I'm a bit terrified now because 203 per week minus 20-30 and any difference in rent limit is going to mean I've virtually nothing to live on, but I'll just wait and see what happens with the job before I start worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭Meeoow

How long are you in the job? You might be entitled to a lump sum. Also, you should get notice, and holidays you worked up.
    So you have time to look for another job, and might not even have to go on dole.

Meeoow wrote: »
    How long are you in the job? You might be entitled to a lump sum. Also, you should get notice, and holidays you worked up.
    So you have time to look for another job, and might not even have to go on dole.

This. If you have worked all your life you sound very employable, but fingers crossed it doesn't come to that.

Again HAP can be claimed even if you are working and fall within the income limits, so I wouldn't rule it out if you think you might struggle. In Dublin and Cork City a single person can earn up to 47k gross and still claim HAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭davesangel

I've been in the job 5 years, they aren't offering anything except a very basic package (2 weeks pay for every year worked), no lump sum or anything like that. So I'm pretty scared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

davesangel wrote: »
    I apologise if this is covered elsewhere but I have tried to look up information on this online and can't make sense of any of the articles I've found.

I have worked all my life, never been unemployed, never been fired. I've just been informed that I'm being considered for redundancy, I won't know the result of that until August. In the meantime I want to know what my finances will look like if I end up redundant.

I am 40, female, single, no dependents. I rent a bedsit at 700 per month and have rented it for 5 years. I have no other income but I have 5000 in a savings account that I started a few years ago in the hopes that one day I might afford a mortgage.

I think I would be entitled to 203 per week Jobseekers Allowance. But I don't have a clue about rent allowance. How exactly does it work - does the state pay my landlord on my behalf or do I have to contribute out of the 203 I get via JSA? Do I get any money coming into my account on top of the 203 JSA weekly?

I'm really sorry to be so clueless here but this has never happened in all my working life and I'm terrified I won't be able to afford to make ends meet.

Is your redundancy anything to do with COVID? If so, you may be entitled to Pandemic Unemployment Payment of 350 while that support is still there.

Advertisement