Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Office and Covid

Options
  • 07-07-2020 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Bosses are pressing for a return to the office. Would be taking public transport to get there and social distancing is very difficult in an office environment.

I work very effectively at home and would be doing the same work in the office as it's all computer based. From a legal standpoint, is there anyhlthing I can do to stay at home while ensuring I don't put my employment in peril? My contract doesn't state a place of work.

I'm obviously glad and happy to have a job. However, I'd really rather not take unnecessary journeys every day and sit side by side with the same people for prolonged periods of time.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Point out that govt guidelines are to wfh where possible?

Stheno wrote: »
    Point out that govt guidelines are to wfh where possible?

The problem there is it's only a guideline. Pretty sure it's not enforceable.

Try talking to your line manager OP but if they won't facilitate wfh I'm not sure there's anything you can do to make it happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭Minier81

Would you consider a middle ground, like mainly work from home but aim to attend the office once or twice a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The HSA has published templates and procedures for safe return to work, if your business is compliant, then I’d struggle to see what legal objection you could have.

Travel to work came up in another thread, how you travel to and from work is not the concern of your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Dav010 wrote: »
    Travel to work came up in another thread, how you travel to and from work is not the concern of your employer.

However your employer must have a plan for how you will get home - without using public transport - in the event that you develop COVID symptoms at work.

Ask them what their plan is - noting that you do not have a housemate or family member who is able to collect you by car.

• Advertisement

However your employer must have a plan for how you will get home - without using public transport - in the event that you develop COVID symptoms at work.

Ask them what their plan is - noting that you do not have a housemate or family member who is able to collect you by car.

If the employer is compliant with HSA returning to work protocols as laid out on the templates all business have to fill out, this will include what you mention above. There are many private medical transport companies nationwide, we have the number of a local one on our form.

Note, in the op, he/she was concerned about travelling to work and asked if there was a legal avenue to prevent him/her having to go back to the office, if the employer is compliant with HSA protocols, there probably isn’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

My employer is also pushing for me to return to work. I have proposed a 2 day a week return to begin with. I'm waiting on a response but it didn't appear to go down too well. I work very well from home too and don't see the need for us all to be back in the office at any one time. I think a staggered or rota'd return would work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Has your employer said if there’s been any changes to the layout of the workplace? A few places I know have gotten rid of entire rows of desks, spaced out computers and put Perspex around desks, etc.

Has your employer said if there’s been any changes to the layout of the workplace? A few places I know have gotten rid of entire rows of desks, spaced out computers and put Perspex around desks, etc.

Mine haven't. There are covid posters up around the place. Only one person allowed into the bathroom and kitchen at any one time. In my part of the office there is a 2m space between us in fairness, and only 4 of us in that room. However, others have to walk through to get to their desks.
    I started employment with them during covid so I've only ever worked from home, with an occasional couple of hours here and there in the office. Others have been going into the office on a daily basis during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

My employer is also pushing for me to return to work. I have proposed a 2 day a week return to begin with. I'm waiting on a response but it didn't appear to go down too well. I work very well from home too and don't see the need for us all to be back in the office at any one time. I think a staggered or rota'd return would work better.

Have you actually had a performance review, to know that what you're doing is what they want you to be doing?

Just because you think you work well doesn't mean you really do.

• Advertisement

Have you actually had a performance review, to know that what you're doing is what they want you to be doing?

Just because you think you work well doesn't mean you really do.

Yes I have, and yes I am 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Wrong.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Wrong.

Are you sure?

With phase 4 being pushed out until 10th August, does that mean that most office employees aren't to be expected back until then instead of 20th July?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

With phase 4 being pushed out until 10th August, does that mean that most office employees aren't to be expected back until then instead of 20th July?

I can't speak for most employees, but that's the guideline where I work.

antix80 wrote: »
    I can't speak for most employees, but that's the guideline where I work.

I received no communication on the topic. I'm a reasonably new employee so I'll just head into the office next week for a couple of days as planned. I don't want to be the only one who doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I received no communication on the topic. I'm a reasonably new employee so I'll just head into the office next week for a couple of days as planned. I don't want to be the only one who doesn't.

Well, where I work they are restricting the number of people in the office at any time. So staff who need to be in the office are doing a rotation, staff who don't need to be in are working from home as far as possible. End of the day though, I'll probably do what I'm told if I want to get paid - my employer has taken all the legal steps to provide a compliant environment. If I wish I could choose to quit my job, request unpaid leave, etc.

Taking public transport is another thing you can't blame on your employer as they could probably point out you could move closer to work - at least temporarily - or use an alternative mode of transport.

Advertisement