Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Career : Employment rate and Pay

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

+1 Farming:

Live off the fat of the land and tend to the rabbits and a vegetable patch around the back.

Like lenny and George

• Registered Users Posts: 28,387 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Care to elaborate on this? How do children from a farming family get free houses? And free college?

SUSI awards grants based on income status. If a Child is getting a full grant their family is not that wealthy. Farmers tend to be asset rich and income poor.

I also don’t know of any farming family who can give their child a free house. I know farmers who may give their child a site. However, the child still has to incur planning, development and construction costs associate with the build.

Self employed people, including farmers, have certain opportunities to massage their income figures to produce particular outcomes.

This might involve timing reinvestment of income back into the business over a particular period. This can reduce profits and income in those years, and fuel the business for growth in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭doc22

Self employed people, including farmers, have certain opportunities to massage their income figures to produce particular outcomes.

This might involve timing reinvestment of income back into the business over a particular period. This can reduce profits and income in those years, and fuel the business for growth in the future

Paying a family member a wage be that children or wife to bring them under limits is another

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

doc22 wrote: »
    Paying a family member a wage be that children or wife to bring them under limits is another

Friend of mine in the UK did this. Was making a lot of money contracting, like a lot, and made his wife a director of the company he set up. Everything was written off against tax, even claimed for mileage despite not owning a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭doc22

Friend of mine in the UK did this. Was making a lot of money contracting, like a lot, and made his wife a director of the company he set up. Everything was written off against tax, even claimed for mileage despite not owning a car.

Self employed have far more advantages than a PAYE worker. It use to be the tax credit and prsi benefits were in favour of the PAYE worker. Now the Self employed have the same tax credits and pay a reduced PRSI for basically the same benefit that a PAYE worker pays 4 times as much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Geuze wrote: »
    That is why I was careful to say lecturers in IoT.

Heavily unionised
    Fixed contracted summer holidays = 20/25 Jun until 1 Sep
    No expectation to do research
    No expectation to publish

Yes, the bar has raised, in that you are now expected to be doing a PdD to get the job.

Uni lecturers is a different job, really.

Apologies, I missed that you said IOT. However, the salary scales don't look all that impressive until you get to Senior Lecturer which presumably requires a fair few years of experience first. I'd hardly put it up there with the "top" paying jobs, especially considering it must be a fairly limited field.
    https://www.tui.ie/third-level-pay-pensions/third-level-salary-scales-.2167.html

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭addaword

nibtrix wrote: »
    Apologies, I missed that you said IOT. However, the salary scales don't look all that impressive until you get to Senior Lecturer which presumably requires a fair few years of experience first. I'd hardly put it up there with the "top" paying jobs, especially considering it must be a fairly limited field.

More the 70 staff across third-level colleges are earning salaries in excess of €200000. Not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,071 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

addaword wrote: »
    More the 70 staff across third-level colleges are earning salaries in excess of €200000. Not bad.

Note that most of them are medical consultants.

Note that most of them are medical consultants.

Indeed, still they are not badly paid here. In the depths of our recession 7 years ago, the Indo stated "PROFESSORS at Ireland's two top colleges – which have both tumbled out of the World Top 100 ratings in the past three years – are receiving higher salaries than those at the world's 10 highest ranking colleges like Oxford, Cambridge and Berkeley, and just less than the salary of professors at the world's number one ranked university.

Full professor salaries at Trinity College Dublin – ranked 110th in the world – and University College Dublin (187th) average €138,350 and €134,150 respectively."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

For me if you're going to work 30-40 years at something at least enjoy it otherwise it'll be a long slog

• Advertisement

Indeed, still they are not badly paid here. In the depths of our recession 7 years ago, the Indo stated "PROFESSORS at Ireland's two top colleges – which have both tumbled out of the World Top 100 ratings in the past three years – are receiving higher salaries than those at the world's 10 highest ranking colleges like Oxford, Cambridge and Berkeley, and just less than the salary of professors at the world's number one ranked university.

Full professor salaries at Trinity College Dublin – ranked 110th in the world – and University College Dublin (187th) average €138,350 and €134,150 respectively."

Yes, the typical IoT lecturer on 87k at top of scale is well paid.

Be careful in Ireland with the titles, not all unis use the same terms.

UCD have Associate Professor, Professor, Full Professor
    https://www.ucd.ie/hr/pay/payscales/

Associate Professor, known as Senior Lecturer in other Irish uni = 69k to 97.5k

UCD Professor = 86k to 114k
    UCC prof = 100-117k

Full Professor I suspect means an Established Chair, many areas would not have one of these:

UCD = 118 to 151k
    UCC = 118k to 151k

I'd say there are far more Professors than Established Chairs/Full Professors.

nibtrix wrote: »
    Apologies, I missed that you said IOT. However, the salary scales don't look all that impressive

I would call top of scale 87k to be good, not massive, but very good.

Especially with 8 weeks off in July and Aug.

Yes, the typical IoT lecturer on 87k at top of scale is well paid.

Yes, considering the huge time time off. Some I know run other businesses or work at other things as well, they have so much time off. 87 k for a permanent pensionable job with suck pay etc eis not bad, when you consider the large pension.
    The president (their prime Minister) of Spain is only on 72 k. No wonder the local Spanish look on all those Irish lecturers who have holiday homes in Spain as being better paid than their leader. Our country is ******* when you think 87 k is not good pay for a part time pensionable secure job in an Institute of Technology.

Yes, considering the huge time time off. Some I know run other businesses or work at other things as well, they have so much time off. 87 k for a permanent pensionable job with suck pay etc eis not bad, when you consider the large pension.
    The president (their prime Minister) of Spain is only on 72 k. No wonder the local Spanish look on all those Irish lecturers who have holiday homes in Spain as being better paid than their leader. Our country is ******* when you think 87 k is not good pay for a part time pensionable secure job in an Institute of Technology.

How does your salary compare to your peers in Spain?

How does your salary compare to your peers in the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

talla10 wrote: »
    Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

For me if you're going to work 30-40 years at something at least enjoy it otherwise it'll be a long slog

This. I initially did computer science degree in college because I was chasing money. I'm working in tech now and I absolutely love it. it's a really fun (but challenging) job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

In Ireland at the moment, maybe not long term, aircraft leasing is an incredible area to get in to if you are a financial person. Derivatives and investment banking is also an area of finance that pays.

IT is good, really good if you can get into some consultancy work.

Law in Ireland is very good, very stable.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

In Ireland at the moment, maybe not long term, aircraft leasing is an incredible area to get in to if you are a financial person. Derivatives and investment banking is also an area of finance that pays.

Consultancy/Contracting is my medium term goal. The day rates can be mental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Consultancy/Contracting is my medium term goal. The day rates can be mental .

Not poking, but aren’t you still chasing money to a certain extent if that’s your goal?

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Not poking, but aren’t you still chasing money to a certain extent if that’s your goal?

Oh I 100% am, but I also love the job that I do so the fact I can make great money is a bonus. If it stopped paying as well I would keep doing it, it's a very fun career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Bare in mind day rates are good because you’re basically acting as a company and thus as a company you’ll have overheads you wouldn’t normally have as a PAYE employee (and some stay the same). Don’t forget you still need to pay tax on day rates etc.

Health and dental insurance
    Pension contribution
    Life assurance
    Light and heat
    Office furniture
    IT Equipment
    Business phone (don’t for the life of you use a personal phone)
    Paying yourself for holidays
    Paying yourself in between contracts

That’s just the top of my mind. Not trying to paint it as a bad jump but it’s not as rosy as seeing €700+ day rates.

Bare in mind day rates are good because your basically acting as a company and thus as a company you’ll have overheads you wouldn’t normally have as a PAYE employee. Don’t forget you still need to pay tax on day rates etc.

Health and dental insurance
    Pension contribution
    Life assurance
    Light and heat
    Office furniture
    IT Equipment
    Business phone (don’t for the life of you use a personal phone)
    Paying yourself for holidays
    Paying yourself in between contracts

That’s just the top of my mind. Not trying to paint it as a bad jump but it’s not as rosy as seeing €700+ day rates.

Oh I'm aware, and I have run the numbers. I would be much better off, also I like the idea of leaving some money in the company and paying myself a wage in between contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Forgot to mention you have to be a great sales person of your abilities, not everyone - especially the Irish and especially in tech - are not good at this.

Best of luck with it!

Forgot to mention you have to be a great sales person of your abilities, not everyone - especially the Irish and especially in tech - are not good at this.

Best of luck with it!

It's something I want to try in a few years anyway. If it doesn't work out, I'll go back to a normal job, but at least I know I've tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

It's something I want to try in a few years anyway. If it doesn't work out, I'll go back to a normal job, but at least I know I've tried it.

You're dead right, it's definitely the right call! As a contractor in IT, would you be paying the 12.5% corporate tax rate or the 20%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Revenue does not equal profit. If you saw 16 patients a day (one every 30 minutes for 8 hours a day) at €50 a pop for 365 days a year you would make €292,000 before tax or any expenses. You’re talking out of your backside.

In the UK GPs aim for 7/8 mins per patient.

When we were in the US, the paediatrician had 4 rooms, 2 nurses and 1 receptionist. You stack the patients in the rooms, the nurses goes in and preps all the paperwork and initial questions, Dr comes in afterwards with the paperwork does his thing (flirts with the wife - fecker) and then is gone onto the next room...

So we probably spent 5/7 mins with nurse and 5 mins with Dr. - very efficient approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

This whole thread is quite a catch 22 thing to determine. People that have high salaries are more often then not, for lack of a better term, paying for it with high stress or long hours or both. Solicitor I see has been mentioned, they have ridiculous hours, alot of stress and soul crushing work. But they get paid well in the big firms after qualifying. Aircraft Leasing, well paid but competitive, long hours, high stress but again well paid. It brings into question for me anyway, whats the trade off? How much money do you want while minimizing stress and affecting work life balance? Personally a safe job with 9 - 5 hours on 70K is something I'd be delighted to max out at but for others it's not and as the salary goes up, so does the bad sides of everything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    You're dead right, it's definitely the right call! As a contractor in IT, would you be paying the 12.5% corporate tax rate or the 20%?
    The company would pay 20% due to the professional services / close company surcharges.
    He himself would pay PAYE the same as any employee does.
    The so called advantages of contracting outlined in an earlier post are just tax fraud, which is an option open to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

Typically, what qualifications are required for aircraft leasing.

Also, what salary can you expect starting off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

Typically, what qualifications are required for aircraft leasing.

Also, what salary can you expect starting off?

That's a tough question to answer tbh. You can either go the financial or the legal route. You'd need at least a bachelor's degree with good grades if you're entering via the financial route, but would most likely progress faster with a master's. If you're going the legal route, you'd probably want to qualify as a solicitor first imo.

Re salary, that also depends. The grad programme in Avolon, one of the largest aircraft lessors in Ireland, offers 33K. That would probably go up to 40K if you locked in a permanent position. It would then increase over time.

Obviously this would all vary amongst the top 10 firms.

Advertisement