Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much savings do you have and what age are you?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

That's 572 a week.=2307 - 1000+ 1307 before any bills, food is paid for. I'll assume no kids, no rent/mortgage and no car? Cos otherwise that's lies

You assume correct; no kids, I live in Dublin city Centre so I walk everywhere and my rent is 300 a month.

I've also been working from 17 and would have saved about 200 a month from that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Johnny0232

Bought my first house aged 34. Sold 4 years later and made a good profit.(€70k) Pooled together a 85k redundancy to buy a bigger property with a lot of rental potential.
    House worth roughly 295k is now paid off.
    Utilising the 14k per annum tax free room rental.
    Current rental income 18k. decided to just work part time for now.
    17k in savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,235 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Having too much money in cash savings is not advisable IMO, especially with inflation looking like it may become an issue as money is printed to combat the Covid-19 recession.

In general, I'd only hold about 6 months worth of cash in easily accessible cash savings - that's about €24k for a family of 4 I calculate.

After that I've diversified as much as possible. Some savings in Gold, some in Crypto, some in stocks, some in property and some in long term bonds and tracker funds. Obviously a decent pension fund is a must too.

I'm mid-40's

30 - 75000 euro saved. Will probably be sunk into a mortgage in the next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Having too much money in cash savings is not advisable IMO, especially with inflation looking like it may become an issue as money is printed to combat the Covid-19 recession.

100% agree, its dead money as they say losing a few % value each year and probably a big drop in the coming months. Even state savings can pay interest above inflation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

endacl wrote: »
    I'm 5 years old and have a millionbajillion saved. Is this too much or not enough at this stage?

Welcome to Ireland. Unfortunately Zimbabwe currency is not recognised here. You will need to exchange it. Ask your Mammy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm 24 and I have 20K in savings a few hundred in shares.

I'm looking to buy a house in a few years, so I need to up that rapidly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Geuze wrote: »
    Check your P60 and/or P21.

I don't know exactly, but I suspect I pay about 28-30%??

Neither of those forms exist anymore.
    Its not that I don't know where to get the figures, its just I've probably looked once at them and wouldn't know what they are now.

I was responding to someone saying if you didn't know what tax you paid etc you were probably bluffing about your income.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

yabadabado wrote: »
    Neither of those forms exist anymore.
    Its not that I don't know where to get the figures, its just I've probably looked once at them and wouldn't know what they are now.

I was responding to someone saying if you didn't know what tax you paid etc you were probably bluffing about your income.

Some employers are now issuing payslips. Marvellous innovation. Hope it catches on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

54, feck all saved, spent it all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,523 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Some employers are now issuing payslips. Marvellous innovation. Hope it catches on.

I hope you aren't relaying on your comedic skills to make money or have savings.

You probably should have read what was posted before making a silly comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

I'm 25 and have about 22K saved. I live at home, pay up about 400 to the parents every month. I spend as I need and save a portion of my wages into a savings account when I get paid each month. No plans to buy in the near future as while I can save more to have a half decent deposit over the next while, the lending rates are too low for me to buy an apartment in an area I'd like

• Registered Users Posts: 2 patmac2004

I am 28 and have around €50,000 saved. Is this too much or not enough at this stage? I can only manage to save €1,000 per month though. Do others of a similar age save much more?

Sounds like you are very much on track with your saving programme

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Geuze wrote: »
    You are 51, and "reasonably well paid", that sounds like slightly above average FT earnings of 47-48k.

Let's say 50-60k.

As you have no savings, this implies you spend all your after tax wages.

If you are single, that's a nice bit of spending each month...............

Not single, wife, child,pets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

ShareShare wrote: »
    Software Developer (14 years exp) - Age 35. - Never having kids.

Ireland salary was 74k
    Finnish salary is 66k (current).

Save about 1000-1200 a month in each place.

About 85k paid off 130k mortgage. (600 monthly paid by tenant which covers it)
    15k cash floating around in various accounts.

I took a 2.5 year sabbatical in my late twenties that really consumed alot of wealth. Was a great time though.

It took about 10k expenses to move country (furniture, rent deposits, spending).

So total net value is currently 100k. Its fine. Nothing great but more than comfortable.

Do you have a salary in both countries or am i reading that completely wrong? Whats the cost of living like in finland out of interest?.

I had no idea how much tax I paid last year until I just checked as I normally bundle in USC & PRSI with it, add the complexities of capital gains tax and hobby business write offs etc its gets complex very quickly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I hope you aren't relaying on your comedic skills to make money or have savings.

You probably should have read what was posted before making a silly comment.

Please be civil to each other. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

I'm 26. I've €3k in rainy day savings and €3.7k in savings for a holiday (near the end of the year) and a couple of planned weekends away.

Next goals are

- €2.5k by the end of the year so I can quit my job and find something else/freelance
    - pay off a loan worth €800
    - potentially save for a car (but I don't have my license yet and I'm happy to use my rainy day savings on it if worse comes to worst)

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

I'm 35 and have about 350k in different bank accounts. I don't own any property tho, I did sold my Dublin home two months ago and am currently renting.

Having so much money under this economic scenario is stressful, I only want to buy a house but my local market is not offering me anything I like so I have to wait.

At least I'm able to save a few thousands per month so is possible I wont need a mortgage, but at the same time I'm worried about a market recovery or even some type of high inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Mad the amount of people who just have massive sums of money in their current accounts or standard Irish deposit accounts(earning nothing). The corona virus knocked billions off stock markets, even if you were lazy and bought a **** ton of oil, you'd double your money by the time things return to normal and there's a demand for oil, at the speed the aviation industry is talking it'll take only a few months for values to return to normal. There's a ton of other opportunities created thanks to corona. Shares in Ryanair went as low as €8 in April.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

cgcsb wrote: »
    Mad the amount of people who just have massive sums of money in their current accounts or standard Irish deposit accounts(earning nothing). The corona virus knocked billions off stock markets, even if you were lazy and bought a **** ton of oil, you'd double your money by the time things return to normal and there's a demand for oil, at the speed the aviation industry is talking it'll take only a few months for values to return to normal. There's a ton of other opportunities created thanks to corona. Shares in Ryanair went as low as €8 in April.

Let me get my crystal ball out.

Some people are risk averse. not everyone wants stocks and shares.

That happened before in the 1920s ,,,,,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Jeepers! When I was 27, I only had about 7k saved. That's good going.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭cgcsb

NSAman wrote: »
    Let me get my crystal ball out.

Some people are risk averse. not everyone wants stocks and shares.

That happened before in the 1920s ,,,,,

There might never be a better time to buy things, and you can't really argue with certain economic facts, e.g. the price of oil must go up given the growing demand as global lockdowns are lifted.

There might never be a better time to buy things, and you can't really argue with certain economic facts, e.g. the price of oil must go up given the growing demand as global lockdowns are lifted.

Dangerous as a single strategy and first time investor but true, just like the 1920's the market will recover. You just need to pick companies who survive, lots of people I know have strategies in place and ready to invest big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

It depends. If I know I'm gonna need the money in a few months I would not risk it that way. Imagine a huge second wave, I could lost tens of thousands almost immediately.

To me is more important to keep all my money safe than been able to earn 100k additional euros.

By the way, my savings account have 0.01% interest :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Ryanair shares were also that low last week. They have been fluctuating between €8 - €10.50 for the last 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

Oh god this thread is so depressing! I really should have stayed at home with my parents - I moved to Dublin at 20, renting ever since...I dream of savings sometimes...and a mortgage!:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

That is an opinion, not a fact.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You are right about opportunities, but it requires lots of homework, not speculation on oil prices going up and may be tourism to take off again...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

But it doesn’t mean the value of oil companies will necessarily go up so what are you going to buy in order to capture the perceived market opportunity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement