Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Most miserable and grim towns and villages in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,810 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Nope..it's a kip...and full of some of the vilest people I have ever met...

Didn't Primetime do a feature a few years ago about rough areas and Glanmire was one of the places featured on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

Didn't Primetime do a feature a few years ago about rough areas and Glanmire was one of the places featured on it.

Yeah.... drop into The Castle, local drinking establishment some time...they welcome you with a glassing

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭barrymanilow

Tuam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

BrianD3 wrote: »
    So many candidates. Places with narrow streets, a mix of gloomy three story buildings and more modern eyesores, long closed shops and pubs, not much tourism. Where local employment consists of food factories employing surly foreign nationals who are treated like sh*t.

Ballybay, Co. Monaghan?

Some places that are rough kips are not necessarily grim. If there is chaotic parking on a main street a place can look "bustling" E.g. Bailieborough. On the other extreme, kips with wide streets and ample parking like Strokestown get a pass.

Then there are small places that look like they have barely changed since the 1950s. Ballintra, Co Donegal
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@54.5784478,-8.1246875,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1stqAQqVnzbI6b4EmA6byhAQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

When I started reading this, Ballybay came straight to mind!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Like I said earlier that's Riverstown a mile north, sprawling new housing estates, syringes found in the kids playground, no small wonder why they'll tell you they live in Glanmire.

• Advertisement

Seamai wrote: »
    Like I said earlier that's Riverstown a mile north, sprawling new housing estates, syringes found in the kids playground, no small wonder why they'll tell you they live in Glanmire.

Are you trying to sell houses in Glanmire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Deiselurker

Fethard in Co Tipperary is a grim looking place that looks like it's stuck in a time warp and has awful bumpy road surfaces.
    I lived in New Ross over 20 years ago for a short time and it wasn't great although maybe it's livened up with the influx of Polish and other immigrants since then. It's now bypassed as well as traffic was awful there for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

I have to say that I wouldn't have thought Glanmire as being very rough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Ok close the thread, re-open and name it "Nice towns in Ireland".
    I bet, what one person loves the next person will call a kip.
    Many towns in rural Ireland have suffered from underinvestment, rates being wasted on council expenses rather than being spent as they should be, i.e. improving the look of the town.
    They are also suffering due to poor footfall on the high streets, which is partly due to people with money spending it online or in Dundrum etc.
    This leaves many of these towns with scobies hanging around bookies and pubs and generally causing nuisance for people, which is a good look for now town.
    Many towns are in desperate need of a clean up and a paint job and with a few nicely thought out flora and fauna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Castlerea 1000% the town should be flattened with a bulldozer.

Surprised I haven't seen Edgworthstown on the list, if you want to see a town stuck in a time warp, Edgerwortstown is it. Rooskey and Dromod are another two hellholes. They have shop fronts that look like they haven't been touched since the 1930's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Panda Killa

All I'll say is, I'm glad I never have to go back

All I'll say is, I'm glad I never have to go back

Fair enough!

PrimeTime gave it a bad rap a few years ago. Certain parts are meant to be an extension to Mayfield. Which some would consider rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

dublin's a kip, that is all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Castlerea 1000% the town should be flattened with a bulldozer.

Surprised I haven't seen Edgworthstown on the list, if you want to see a town stuck in a time warp, Edgerwortstown is it. Rooskey and Dromod are another two hellholes. They have shop fronts that look like they haven't been touched since the 1930's.

The midlands in or around Longford and the athlone side of Roscommon are dumps.

Athenty is another kip along with Headford.

PrimeTime gave it a bad rap a few years ago. Certain parts are meant to be an extension to Mayfield. Which some would consider rough.

Yeah, Mayfield can be rough in parts. Can make the headlines for the wrong reasons.

Are you trying to sell houses in Glanmire?

No, I wouldn't want to live in the village, being on a tidal estuary I think it will have problems down the road.

Yeah, Mayfield can be rough in parts. Can make the headlines for the wrong reasons.

It can be but I'd say it's far from the roughest part of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

Because unless they levelled the place in the meantime it won't have improved :pac:

It got worse in the last twenty years. These places don't the population to support thriving towns and most of the people who have the power or means to effect change in these towns don't actually live in them so they have no incentive to do anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

The road surface has been fixed so as they have a nice welcome for the new residents who have made a wonderful cultural contribution to the village

I can't figure out if there's sarcasm or not in this post...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Tuam

Could you expand a bit did you get a bad pint there one time or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

flazio wrote:
    Rathkeale, County Limerick. Close the thread here.

Never been there boss but would have thought it would feature a lot more than it has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

I grew up in a small West of Ireland town, and am a regular visitor back to Ireland, especially during the summer months. My own town wouldn't even be a particularly awful one, by the admittedly low standards it would be compared against.

It's the whole package of small town Irish life that fills me with horror. The lack of ambition inherent in a decision to live in one of these awful places. The nosiness, the resentment, the jealousy that emerges as your mind starts to warp during to lack of intellectual and cultural stimulation. The boarded up shops and pubs, the decay, the fading signs, the empty butcher, the sadness. Gormless looking men standing in a pub door sharing a rollie cigarette. Fat-arsed women wearing a O'Neills tracksuit pushing a trolley around the local Supervalu while two peanut-headed children follow her around. The Wrangler bootcut jeans, Superdry jackets, and checked shirts. The acceptance of 3rd world levels of dental hygiene amongst the populace. The pints of cider while playing pool in a ran down pub on a Tuesday night.

Yeah I know I fcuking dread it myself. I'm fecking off to Germany ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Jonybgud wrote: »
    dublin's a kip, that is all

Looks like you really hate CAPITALS so much.

Carnew.

Mic drop.

You live in Roscommon. Nuff said.

Still a good few steps up from Dublin, where I lived for 30 years.

Athenty is another kip.

Wow wie the fweilds of Athenty.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Shannon Town. Looks like some social engineering experiment gone wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Tuam

It used to be but it's actually not a bad town now at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,721 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I spent a few weeks down in Tarbert, Co. Kerry back in 2004 and it was fairly grim!!

Also I’ve been in and around Tynagh in Co. Galway a fair bit over the years, and it’s not got a lot going for it, apart from one of Europe’s largest go-kart tracks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Never been there but my vote goes to Tipperary Town. The hack of the shoddy run streets and the locals are like something out of deliverance allegedly. A place where allegedly Covid 19 won't cross the inside the town boundaries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

fryup wrote: »
    Shannon Town - weird town, weird people > soulless

Great Town, Great People. Soulless? Nope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Oops!

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Never been there but my vote goes to Tipperary Town.

:confused::confused::confused:

I'd never been there until my curiosity got the better of me a few years ago on a trip back from Galway, a half an hour wasted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

Oh yay another thread on a topic thats already been done to death on here.

And yet you found some precious time to comment

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭deaglan1

A cultural and architectural delight along the main street of a large West of Ireland town - photo taken in 1920...sorry, 2020!!!!! Any guesses?

Ballinasloe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭pidgeoneyes

Rochfortbridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

I'd never been there until my curiosity got the better of me a few years ago on a trip back from Galway, a half an hour wasted.

It's a great town to grow up in and raise kids, it's by no means a visitor attraction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Athlone, Church Street which is the main Street down the centre of the town has been destroyed by the awful "street enhancement" plague.The Town Centre shopping centre should never have been built during the boom. The site of the old Athlone Shopping Centre is disgraceful with the awful obnoxious multi storey carpark and closed up shop units that are just ugly and an eyesore.Connaught Street on the Westside is now almost completely derelict with very depressing closed up shops.The Golden Island Shopping Centre is built on what used to be the old rubbish dump beside the River Shannon,there is constantly a smell of sewerage around the carpark.I live about 15 km approx from it and it is not the great town anymore that I remember from my childhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

deaglan1 wrote: »
    A cultural and architectural delight along the main street of a large West of Ireland town - photo taken in 1920...sorry, 2020!!!!! Any guesses?

Ballinasloe.jpg

Ballinasloe?

Ballinasloe.jpg

Galway 'city' ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mallow. For a town that should offer so much the place is so run down with no pride in some shops and upkeep is terrible. One way system is joke. A horrible town now, 20 years ago it was great town.

Every town in Tipp seems depressing but for Cashel which is still just ok

Rathkeale. Christ what happened. Well it's obvious but anyway.

Dont get hate for Tralee. Rough during night maybe but great town to shop about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Balbriggan although it has potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Buttevant Co. Cork. It's an awful place.

I once said to one of my friends, "what's the name of that ****e place on the way to Limerick?"

"Oh, Buttevant?".

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭deaglan1

Ballinasloe?

Congratulations...your prize is a pristine sheet of A4 paper...to avail of this magnificent reward, please send a self-addressed and stamped envelope to Headoffice, Galway, European Capital of Culture, 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ballinasloe.jpg

I actually love those shops if they're still open. Much better than a soulless Spar with mad bright lights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

The trouble is it your actually right. It was never a village or town historically, it was purpose built for the airport workers and their families along with the later additions of the various factories.

You'll always here people in Clare it's not a real town, it isn't there isn't really any sort of history or culture to the place. However in saying that all places started somewhere so maybe in time it will find its own identity, but can't see it for a long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Mallow. For a town that should offer so much the place is so run down with no pride in some shops and upkeep is terrible. One way system is joke. A horrible town now, 20 years ago it was great town.

Every town in Tipp seems depressing but for Cashel which is still just ok

Rathkeale. Christ what happened. Well it's obvious but anyway.

Dont get hate for Tralee. Rough during night maybe but great town to shop about

A lot of towns never emerged from the last recession. Castlerea is another example. Unfortunately they will end up even worse again after the pandemic fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Has anyone said Moate yet?
    What am I saying, of course they have ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement