Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emergency payment

Options
  • 10-07-2020 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Pup suspended due to family emergency two weeks travel outside of Ireland.

I tried to reason with SIU through email that it was essential trip but my cancer ridden father troubles were not essential enough for their standards.

Rent is due next week and i won't be able to cover it.

Now i am self isolating for two weeks and can't even go to community welfare officer to beg for some money to tie me over until PUP is reinstated.

Any ideas what to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Bykobap wrote: »

I tried to reason with SIU through email that it was essential trip but my cancer ridden father troubles were not essential enough for their standards.

Now i am self isolating for two weeks and can't even go to community welfare officer to beg for some money to tie me over until PUP is reinstated.

Any ideas what to do?

Have you a doctor's letter from your father's GP or hospital? In English?

If not, get one.

Contact the Citizens Information hotline on Monday.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/contact_us.html

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

Thank you for that phone number.

I have hospital headed letters with his diagnosis but not in English though.

I'll call CI tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Thank you for that phone number.

I have hospital headed letters with his diagnosis but not in English though.

I'll call CI tomorrow.

Your problem is that during those 2 weeks, irregardless of the reason for your absence, you were not looking for or available for full time work, which is the main “condition” of a jobseekers payment. You can have 2 weeks off from this condition each year but only if you apply in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭inisboffin

splinter65 wrote: »
    Your problem is that during those 2 weeks, irregardless of the reason for your absence, you were not looking for or available for full time work, which is the main “condition” of a jobseekers payment. You can have 2 weeks off from this condition each year but only if you apply in advance.

They have said that they will make exceptions for things like family illness etc. Caught the tail end of someone (the minister?) stating that on radio. It sounds like you absolutely have the grounds to appeal this.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bykobap

I'll email them hospital letters.
    They can google translate it.
    Tomorrow i will ring a few numbers and see what if anything i can do to remedy the situation.

Thanks everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What is it with all these jobsworths you get through to on these phone lines and emails, They seems to make up their own rules, all on a power trip.
    I know a guy self employed who was basically hounded off the PUP payment, told he was not entitled to it. And through that fear of doing wrong he cancelled it. Now he hasn't a pot to piss in.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 luke1313

Any ideas what to do?

Why was your PUP suspended? I'm guessing you informed welfare about travel plans. Should have never said anything..As people on this board said sometimes it's better to say less if you are not asked

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Tomorrow i will ring a few numbers and see what if anything i can do to remedy the situation.

Thanks everyone.

They definitely wouldn’t be translating your correspondence for you. Why would you think they’d do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

You'll need to provide officially translated documents..

Government bodies don't have time nor do they ever translate documents themselves..

Usually you're entitled to 2 weeks holidays or 'leave' fully paid each year anyway and once you return they give you the 2 wk payment

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Thanks everyone.

Are you for real?

They won’t google translate it. Everything sent to a government department must be in either English or Irish. It is up to you to get it officially translated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement