Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few questions - been made part time

Options
  • 01-07-2020 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, was working full time before the whole pandemic.

Got a phone call from my boss today. Was meant to go back to work this Monday coming, however he made the decision to not take me back for another month, until the COVID payment ends (10August)

He told me I probably won't be full time as he doesn't know what way things will pan out. So I'll be part time but I'm as well off to basically go somewhere else (not his words, but what he meant in a polite way.)

It's a family run business. I have a feeling more than likely they family will open the place and keep claiming the COVID payment for themselves.

I have no idea if other staff are coming back or how their hours are affected. Staff is mostly made up of part timers, me and 3 others being the only full timers.

If I have been the only full timer affected by this, is it just my bad luck? ( I would be the last person to have been taken on)

If I do end up leaving, which hopefully I will as it got a bit toxic for me, I didnt sign nor given a contract. I have taken no holidays this year. Am I still entitled to full holiday pay, even if I leave at my own accord?

In regards to social welfare, can I claim some if I do go part time or claim alone if I decide to leave, whilst still looking for work?

I'm single, no kids and in a house share.

I had the intention of going to Citizens Advice but it's closed ATM in my town.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,706 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How long have you been there? Technically unless you agree, you have to be made redundant. But if you've been there less than 2 years you will get no compensation if made redundant. And even if more, you won't get much

If you get put onto shorter hours, you can most probably get Jobseekers Benefit for the days you aren't working - but only if you work less than 4 days per week. If your hours are spread over 4 or more days then you don't get any welfare (yes, this is unfair if you only get a couple of hours on each of 4 days).

If you leave, you are entitled to a proportionate amount of holiday pay. Eg if you started in January and worked til March, then you have earned 1/4 of a full year's leave, and can be paid out for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Just in the wage subsidy, your employer is entitled to avail of the subsidy if your hours are reduced, as long as income/orders have decreased by 25% as a result of Covid. So you needn’t be concerned about them “keeping that for themselves”, it is linked to the weekly wage you are paid, therefore it will reduce when you change to part time hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

How long have you been there? Technically unless you agree, you have to be made redundant. But if you've been there less than 2 years you will get no compensation if made redundant. And even if more, you won't get much

If you get put onto shorter hours, you can most probably get Jobseekers Benefit for the days you aren't working - but only if you work less than 4 days per week. If your hours are spread over 4 or more days then you don't get any welfare (yes, this is unfair if you only get a couple of hours on each of 4 days).

If you leave, you are entitled to a proportionate amount of holiday pay. Eg if you started in January and worked til March, then you have earned 1/4 of a full year's leave, and can be paid out for this.

I'm here less than 2 years.

Just to be clear, I'll get 1/4 of holiday pay because I would have only worked from Jan to Mar this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Op here again.... Update **

I got an interview for a full position job last week, don't know yet if I got the job but reckon I'm in with a good chance.

1hr after the interview my boss rang.

He has offered me 9 to 6 sat, sun, Mon.... And then said he could give me 12 to 4 tues and wed. A total of 31 hrs. Still part time.

I told him if there was anything I could claim, all my hours would have to be in 3 days, then I could claim for the other 2., (to which he got defensive saying he wasn't trying to cod me) as this is what I have been told by citizens information.

I wouldn't mind 31 hrs, but it's pretty crap he's has asked to come in 12 to 4 , 2 days really it only to cover lunch breaks.

Anyway I plan to work 3 days and claim job seekers for the other 2 days...... With hope that I will get the other full time job and be gone for the place.

Its more beneficial if I claim for the 2 days than work the 4 hrs.... Iv rent and bills to pay like everyone else.

What are people's thoughts on this? Am I doing the wiser thing?

Before anyone starts arguing I should be ashamed for not taking what's offered to me instead of claiming job seekers, I have worked full time since I ever started work. I have never claimed before, only covid.

I feel my boss is gonna be a dick to me when I ring to tell him I'll only take the 3 days... I'm dreading tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Id delay until I hear from the full time job. Might not be possible though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I feel my boss is gonna be a dick to me when I ring to tell him I'll only take the 3 days... I'm dreading tbh.

You've an awful chip on your shoulder for someone only in the company a wet day.

You're not entitled to redundancy so if your hours are being cut you can take it or leave it.

You could always ask your boss for only 3 days but if he needs you for 4 (albeit one split between two afternoons) he might refuse the request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

If you go on the "short-time working scheme" i.e. working 3 days a week and claiming jobseekers benefit for 2 days, you're only entitled to a total of €81.20 for those 2 days combined i.e. 40% of the €203 weekly benefit.

If you're on any more than minimum wage then you'd be better off working the 2 short shifts, not to mention that you then have the ability to pick up extra hours if they become available.

https://www.gov.ie/en/service/c20e1b-short-time-work-support/

Advertisement