Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period

Options
  • 02-07-2020 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hello, I was layed off from my admin role in March and I'm currently getting €350 Covid payment. I have an interview for a new position next week and am fairly confident that I will secure the job. Do I have to work a notice period with current employer even though I was layed off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

Do you expect them to ask you to work a notice period? Presumably if they've laid you off they don't have any money and/or work in which case once you hand in your notice that should be the end of your employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Doubt it, you are ‘employed’ by them only in name at present, you are not ‘working’. Therefore I’d imagine they might just be happy to see one less employee. They could feel whomever would be replacing you if they indeed choose to do that can be hired at say 15-20% less wages therefore they’d be sorry to loose experience but happy to have a few grand saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I would call your manager and explain your situation.

I fully expect you'll be congratulated and told to go ahead and start the job.

Advertisement