Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying dirty looking engine?

Options
  • 18-05-2019 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi folks

I'm buying a Toyota Hilux. Found a reasonable looking/priced one but when I opened the bonnet the engine looks muddy/Dirty. It's a 2015 model.

I'm getting a mechanic to look next week but wondering would this turn people off? In one way it's good that no-one tired to hide the dirty look.

What do you guys think..?
    Would this turn you off?

Pics below:

https://ibb.co/dBDQgyk
    https://ibb.co/FY5KfJz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

That looks perfectly fine to me. As you say I’d be more concerned if it was too clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,830 ✭✭✭CoBo55

It's very brown looking I'd be checking carefully for a water leak, what does the coolant look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭businessdit

CoBo55 wrote: »
    It's very brown looking I'd be checking carefully for a water leak, what does the coolant look like?

Yes there was sufficient coolant in the reservoir... nice and pink coolant. But I would agree looked very brown/singed in places.

In fairness it was fine inside and not overly polished in any way. I think they genuinely haven't made an attempt to clean anything. But thanks for the feedback.

Why do you think a water leak would cause this?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Nah that looks like plain dirt like any 4x4 should have, the expansion bottle looks ok from picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You can see the coolant in the photo.

That engine looks honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Doesn't look good ..even lots rust on top crossmember bolts etc.. threaded bolt holding battery cage etc..probably uk originally.. I'd check underside also ..especially rear crossmember..
    Bottom line if it looks that dirty and rusty ..how can you check whether it was even serviced properly..jeeps like those commands a high price and as u mentioned if the price seems low its probably for a good reason..simple way out check similar aged hiluxes on done deal and compare prices..dealers will usually be 3k higher but if this one is cheaper than others I'd let someone else waste their money.. paying a bit more for any well looked after and clean vehicle usually wins out

Turbohymac wrote: »
    Doesn't look good ..even lots rust on top crossmember bolts etc.. threaded bolt holding battery cage etc..probably uk originally.. I'd check underside also ..especially rear crossmember..
    Bottom line if it looks that dirty and rusty ..how can you check whether it was even serviced properly..jeeps like those commands a high price and as u mentioned if the price seems low its probably for a good reason..simple way out check similar aged hiluxes on done deal and compare prices..dealers will usually be 3k higher but if this one is cheaper than others I'd let someone else waste their money.. paying a bit more for any well looked after and clean vehicle usually wins out

Yes your right... its a UK vehicle revently imported. Are you saying salt on roads may have caused issues?

Has a full service history all the same.
    Not very cheap... just a reasonable right price I my eyes.

Cheers!

It's also only 2.5.. as it's only got 1 battery..got a 161 3 liter here it's also uk but it only spent 6 months there new.. yes rust in uk big issue ..always has been.. some guys bring them in here..use them hard for a few years and then move them on again.. get decent mechanics to check everything..our 161 never had engine bay washed but its spotless.. that engine bay looks like it's been more offroad than any road.. also avoid if any rust on underside.. having it dirty could be hiding things..
    My old 07 scudo van with 200k looks spotless compared to that engine bay and she crosses many fields and tows a cattle box regularly.. if I were selling a 2015 hilux I'd at least have it washed and valeted.. good luck either way

It's also only 2.5.. as it's only got 1 battery..got a 161 3 liter here it's also uk but it only spent 6 months there new.. yes rust in uk big issue ..always has been.. some guys bring them in here..use them hard for a few years and then move them on again.. get decent mechanics to check everything..our 161 never had engine bay washed but its spotless.. that engine bay looks like it's been more offroad than any road.. also avoid if any rust on underside.. having it dirty could be hiding things..
    My old 07 scudo van with 200k looks spotless compared to that engine bay and she crosses many fields and tows a cattle box regularly.. if I were selling a 2015 hilux I'd at least have it washed and valeted.. good luck either way

Cheers thanks for the detailed reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭kyote00

it looks like someone power washed it.... there are water tracks down the engine cover......

Is there not an under engine cover also on those ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Doesn't look good ..even lots rust on top crossmember bolts etc.. threaded bolt holding battery cage etc..probably uk originally..

Any Toyota I've ever had has had a battery strap with hooked threaded bar like that.

I agree, surface rust on lots of stuff looks ex UK. I wouldn't fall out with it over that alone once the chassis is tidy. It'll be hard to find 4 year old Hilux that hasn't been put to work and showing signs of usage of some sort.

Hi.toyotafanboy..
    I wasn't commenting on the design of the threaded bar holding down the battery.. yes.. it's all original Toyota..but with rust that u wouldn't find on a 15 year old.. RUST that's what I'm commenting on.. personally I'd prefer something cleaner at only 4 years old..and maybe something that was even cared for..yes there a 4x4 but cleaner and rust free shouldn't be impossible to find.. that vehicle looks like its had a hard few early years..
    Anyhow it's all down to the buyer..his money his decision but its nice to buy something that actually looks like its been cared for..that's all. And the hilux in general would usually have well sealed engines .. if I were buying I wouldn't be too impressed..

Advertisement