Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Rsh5ubbp Freezer problems

Options
  • 06-05-2019 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have above american fridge 7 years.
    The freezer side is not cooling enough.
    Its set to -18c, and reports this as the temp in the freezer, but if i power off and back on it will read true say -4C (tested with thermometer), and gradually descend gradually on the display to -18c all the while internal temp is -4c.
    Ive tested freezer fan -ok, no ice behind panel, cleaned out condenser and vents with airline.
    Left the door open and allowed temp to rise and it will bring it back to -4.
    Fridge works fine at 4c all the time.
    With power freeze it will still only go to a max of -10 and fall back to -4 once normal running .
    Anyone any ideas
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

If you take off the back panel in the freezer compartment you will see the evaporator coils, these coils should have a skin of ice al the way round them, if not it is down in refrigerant or the compressor is not pumping to full pressure, you can also test operation of the circulating fan by pressing the door micro switch which brings on the light when the door is normally open. Down in gas or faulty compressor it is only for the dump because of cost to rectify.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭crosshair1

Hi Thanks for the reply.
    There is little ice on the evaporator, top 3 runs say are frosted.
    The fan runs with a magnet held at the reed switch.
    Do you know if these are r134a as I carry a cylinder for vehicle repair and might connect it up to gauges if only for educational purposes :).
    Some of the pipe solder joints dont look wonderful on the back anyways.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

It may be r600 or 134a but it will be marked on the compressor, you would need a self piercing charging valve to connect up though. If it is leaking on one of the brazed joints it will be oily

Turns out to be low on gas, r600a, added some through a piercing valve and full freezing is restored.
    Thanks Again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Juice_

Did you do this yourself. I now have a €1200 paperweight in my kitchen, that has no gas, could I pump gas back into this myself using a self piercing valve?

• Advertisement

Did it myself, its not really a diy job, i already had gauges and am familiar with working with r134a.

R600 refrigerant is flammable so requires extra caution.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Juice_

Thanks for the reply.. straight to the dump it is so
    :rolleyes:

Advertisement