Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DUP running a gay candidate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Bigots will be bigots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Bigots will be bigots.

Is the gay DUP candidate a bigot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,989 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

tuxy wrote: »
    Is the gay DUP candidate a bigot?

Obviously not, but Jim Wells is.
    As well as majority of his party.

No idea how this woman got thru the cracks. She must have got on the ballot before telling them she was gay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Genuinely curious to see if she will get grassroots support on the doorsteps, regardless of how most of the DUP probably reacted to the news.

gmisk wrote: »
    I must admit I would never see the day...
    https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dr-paisley-would-be-aghast-dups-gay-candidate-a-betrayal-says-jim-wells-38038508.html

The usual homophobic rubbish from Jim Wells zzz.

No idea why a gay person would want to run for a party that doesn't believe they deserve equal rights.

Two men cannot have a child, two women cannot have a child… That is a fact, nobody can deny otherwise. Every child has a right to a mother and father, and as much as possible, the State should try and vindicate that right, and that the right of a child to have a mother and father is much more important than the right of two men, or two women, to have a family.

Leo jumped on the equal rights bandwagon only when it it became advantageous politically.

• Advertisement

Leo jumped on the equal rights bandwagon only when it it became politically advantageous politically.

Are you saying that homosexual politicians have the same integrity as heterosexual ones? :eek:

I am guessing that this woman will have to be publicly opposed to gay marriage to be a member of the DUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Gay people can also be bigoted, it's not an exclusively heterosexual disposition. It's just ironic that her bigotry against other groups trumps her respect for herself as a gay woman.

Are you saying that homosexual politicians have the same integrity as heterosexual ones? :eek:

I am guessing that this woman will have to be publicly opposed to gay marriage to be a member of the DUP.

Seruously, that's much deeper than that. He actively campaigned against equal rights. He could have kept his mouth shut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Leo jumped on the equal rights bandwagon only when it it became politically advantageous politically.

He probably had a period of "mature reflection" and went on a journey where he changed his mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Dr Paisley also said that he 'would prefer to see his kids dead, than stand under a tricolour', his son has applied for and received an IRISH or free state passport.

I think the DUP not as solid on any of its cornerstones as it likes to think it is.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,103 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Mr Wells described the decision as his lowest moment in a 44-year of membership of the party

Engaging in paramilitary violence? Ok.
    Opposition to the Good Friday Agreement? Grand.
    Endorsing economic suicide for Northern Ireland via Brexit? Not a bother.
    A LESBIAN RUNNING FOR OFFICE? OUTRAGEOUS! :mad:
    if Dr Paisley was still alive he would be aghast at this decision

NEVER!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Arlene Foster may be married to a guy, but she's not fooling anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

Parties can change and be slowly dragged towards the centre.

I can't abide the DUP but good luck to her. At least she's challenging one aspect of their narrow-mindedness.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Arlene Foster may be married to a guy, but she's not fooling anyone.

Mod

Dont post derogatory comments like that here again

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Save Ulster From Scissoring

sabat wrote: »
    Save Ulster From Scissoring

Mod

Terry Pratchet

Is that not a bit harsh? I mean is all light-hearted jesting to be gone from boards?

cgcsb wrote: »
    Is that not a bit harsh? I mean is all light-hearted jesting to be gone from boards?

Every board has it's on policy, that type of post belongs and is even encouraged on After Hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,629 ✭✭✭✭downcow

The views expressed on this thread so far are fairly sad.
    Yes we know the DUP were anti-gay. its not that long since the shinners were as well.
    This is a very positive step forwards. I think they will soon get a free vote on equal marriage and enough DUP will support it to get it through. That will really piss off SF etc as they do not want DUP to support equal marriage because they want to suggest that equal marriage and Irish language are some how similar.
    I phoned dup today to affirm and encourage this decision. I thought i would never again vote for them but now theres a chance i might.

the nasty stuff on this thread about the candidate that is gay is pathetic.

Don't forget guys SF are a party that still celebrates volunteers who committed sectarian murder, abuse of children, etc, etc

You'd think the DUP had some monopoly on bigotory when you read this thread

Anteayer wrote: »
    Parties can change and be slowly dragged towards the centre.

I can't abide the DUP but good luck to her. At least she's challenging one aspect of their narrow-mindedness.

Fair play Anteayer. there is some hope when i read comments like this.

Mod

Fair play. I disagree strongly with you on your comments on this thread but i appreciate you calling out nasty stereotyping of the lesbian community

downcow wrote: »
    Yes we know the DUP were anti-gay. its not that long since the shinners were as well.
    This is a very positive step forwards. I think they will soon get a free vote on equal marriage and enough DUP will support it to get it through. That will really piss off SF etc as they do not want DUP to support equal marriage because they want to suggest that equal marriage and Irish language are some how similar.
    I phoned dup today to affirm and encourage this decision. I thought i would never again vote for them but now theres a chance i might.

Don't forget guys SF are a party that still celebrates volunteers who committed sectarian murder, abuse of children, etc, etc

Were anti gay?

I dont understand how you can just pretend they are not anti gay now. They still have a number of represntatives who are explicitly homophobic. Running 1 lesbian hasnt changed their parties position against marriage equality.

Terry Pratchet

Literally nobody on this thread mentioned SF except you. Your gut reaction to the DUP being criticised is to point a finger at SF, or in this case what you think SF used to be like many years ago but which there is no evidence of. That's petty and insecure. If the DUP's opposition to Ssm was the only thing keeping you voting for them then just vote for them because you clearly agree with their their other policies and hat3 taigs also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭skallywag

What on earth does any of this have to do with this thread? :confused:

Your mask has slipped methinks, head over to your After Hours thread if you want to continue with your prime agenda.

As for the DUP fielding a gay candidate, full marks to the candidate in question. It will indeed be interesting as to how grass roots now react.

Literally nobody on this thread mentioned SF except you. Your gut reaction to the DUP being criticised is to point a finger at SF, or in this case what you think SF used to be like many years ago but which there is no evidence of. That's petty and insecure. If the DUP's opposition to Ssm was the only thing keeping you voting for them then just vote for them because you clearly agree with their their other policies and hat3 taigs also.

OK i like to be honest and i accept I shouldn't have jumped to whataboutery by raising SF. Point taken. Apologies.

Re the DUP. Their voters are a very broad church as they makeup the majority of the unionist community. A recent poll found that a majority of DUP voters are pro-equal marriage.
    I think Alison will do very well and it will be a very important point in getting a monkey of DUP backs. They have made it very easy for some to equate equal marriage stuff with irish language stuff. Hopefully those days are numbered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,542 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think Alison will do very well and it will be a very important point in getting a monkey of DUP backs. They have made it very easy for some to equate equal marriage stuff with irish language stuff. Hopefully those days are numbered

Just leaving them with rampant corruption, refusal to allow womens bodily autonomy and the Irish Language as standout issues. Marvellous.

That and running one LGBT candidate does not deal with their serious issues in the area, primarily refusal to allow SSM.

OK i like to be honest and i accept I shouldn't have jumped to whataboutery by raising SF. Point taken. Apologies.

Re the DUP. Their voters are a very broad church as they makeup the majority of the unionist community. A recent poll found that a majority of DUP voters are pro-equal marriage.

Its like you believe this one lesbian suddenly makes them all pro lgbt rights. I dont get it.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

gmisk wrote:
    No idea why a gay person would want to run for a party that doesn't believe they deserve equal rights.

Seriously. That candidate is a traitor to the rest of the LGBTQ+ community.. and most of all to themself!

Heebie wrote: »
    Seriously. That candidate is a traitor to the rest of the LGBTQ+ community.. and most of all to themself!

She's a traitor to decent members of the human race.

Have you a link to that?

They have made it very easy for some to equate equal marriage stuff with irish language stuff. Hopefully those days are numbered

Stuff?? Are you a wind up merchant? By stuff of course you mean the right for consenting adults to marry without distinction to their sex. And the right of people to deal with the state in the country's native language. That stuff? Must sound trivial to you when the real issues of your racial supremacy are so much more pressing.

The DUP is finished and indeed unionism is finished. The fact that there's this one turn coat traitor doesn't matter. You'll always have one or two them. You can have her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Bredabe wrote: »
    Dr Paisley also said that he 'would prefer to see his kids dead, than stand under a tricolour', his son has applied for and received an IRISH or free state passport.

I think the DUP not as solid on any of its cornerstones as it likes to think it is.

I know he advised constituents to get one but wasn't aware that he got one himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Bredabe

KaneToad wrote: »
    I know he advised constituents to get one but wasn't aware that he got one himself.
    Yes I saw a photo of him with one, it may have been on twitter or a uk magazine.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,225 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What surprises me is that a gay candidate somehow decided to run for a party of neanderthals in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

great thing to do

In other news, pro life campaigner joins feminist group.

Have you a link to that?

Stuff?? Are you a wind up merchant? By stuff of course you mean the right for consenting adults to marry without distinction to their sex. And the right of people to deal with the state in the country's native language. That stuff? Must sound trivial to you when the real issues of your racial supremacy are so much more pressing.

The DUP is finished and indeed unionism is finished. The fact that there's this one turn coat traitor doesn't matter. You'll always have one or two them. You can have her.

Are you seriously suggesting that there is equivalence between someones right to marry the person they love and some vague notion of what should be translated into Irish. i find that very disingenuous towards those belonging to LGBT+

Are you seriously suggesting that there is equivalence between someones right to marry the person they love and some vague notion of what should be translated into Irish. i find that very disingenuous towards those belonging to LGBT+

Your reading comprehension is very poor. No doubt that's why you're voting for that slime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,305 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Video of a free Presbyterian minister from Ballymena criticising the DUP for selecting Alison Bennington..."sodomy is a lifestyle"...and "out and out lesbian"..charming stuff as you would expect.

I am so glad I no longer live in northern Ireland.

Your reading comprehension is very poor. No doubt that's why you're voting for that slime

Downscow doesn't vote for the DUP

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108912433&postcount=893

Very keen to defend them though, isn't he?

Mod

Quit the personal attacks on other posters

Terry Pratchet

Can i assure you my first preference vote went to UUP. DUP got my second preference partly because i wanted to affirm the including of a gay candidate.

Its actually quite sad that you guys can't accept that it is a positive move. You would love all DUP candidates to fit into a little box you would like them all in and then life would be easy and black and white

Can i assure you my first preference vote went to UUP. DUP got my second preference partly because i wanted to affirm the including of a gay candidate.

Its actually quite sad that you guys can't accept that it is a positive move. You would love all DUP candidates to fit into a little box you would like them all in and then life would be easy and black and white

Its a slightly positive move but given the context where they are the most homophobic political party on this island for 40 years its understandable in my view why lgbt people would have such a strong dislike of them.

Terry Pratchet

So basically, you did vote for the DUP. In short, the party in general espouses poisonous ideology, electing a gay candidate (quite controversially in their internal ranks) doesn't alter that. This woman will represent their poisonous ideology, not only to gay people but to all that aren't deemed a part of their superior race of laughably poor calibre people.

I see one of your new reps wants to wipe out the Irish Catholic population:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/new-dup-councillor-apologises-after-calling-former-sinn-fein-minister-dirty-w-38101886.html

As for the UUP, well it's DUP lite isn't it. It's basically the same set of people but a more middle-class friendly version, with slightly less verbal candidates. It, like the DUP, is set up purely on a platform of toxic unionism, that exists only as a reaction to Irishness and the fear of Catholics being in charge. Unionism is a dead end ideology, it's aims were achieved as much as is possible decades ago and it's now in terminal decline.

Advertisement