Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grass Measuring Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Done the cut and weight system here today fir a first time...I was overestimating the first paddock by 60kg/DM/ha so wasn't too bad but the second was a resseded paddock and wasn't as thick and was about 250kgs out...

Slight unrelated Char but i think you said you are on Pasture base? If so how do you find it? I am waiting for access, Teagac adviser is in process of setting up account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

ozil10 wrote: »
    Have first field grazed on second rotation
    what are people spreading now
    went with bag/acre of CAN in Jan
    2 bags/acre of 18-6-12 on March 8th

75kg/acre of ASN arrived today. Contractor blanket spreading farm tomorrow hopefully. Between 75 and 90 units gone out so far. Three days into second rotation now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

RobinBanks wrote: »
    Slight unrelated Char but i think you said you are on Pasture base? If so how do you find it? I am waiting for access, Teagac adviser is in process of setting up account.

Ya good, record all the graze dates and the fertiliser applied so its esay to keep track of what field got what and see which field is performing best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

ozil10 wrote: »
    Have first field grazed on second rotation
    what are people spreading now
    went with bag/acre of CAN in Jan
    2 bags/acre of 18-6-12 on March 8th

75kg/acre of ASN arrived today. Contractor blanket spreading farm tomorrow hopefully. Between 75 and 90 units gone out so far. Three days into second rotation now.
    Why can't people use kg/ha!

Why can't people use kg/ha!

I was trained in kg/ha but you just get worn down explaining a figure no-one else uses and revert. If there was an income stream based on kg/ha people wouldn't be long before they embraced it.

I was trained in kg/ha but you just get worn down explaining a figure no-one else uses and revert. If there was an income stream based on kg/ha people wouldn't be long before they embraced it.

I guess, do you use imperial or irish acres :pac:

I guess, do you use imperial or irish acres :pac:

That's a trick question. But I'm with our esteemed former president and prefer to do everything in hectacres, much easier that way. Keeps everyone else guessing.

That's a trick question. But I'm with our esteemed former president and prefer to do everything in hectacres, much easier that way. Keeps everyone else guessing.
    In lb's per ha of course? :cool: Keep the dozy ones down the back on their toes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭alps

I'm beginning to think cows can consume far more than 18kg dm....on 4gk of feed, ours cleared 12.5kg in last night's grazing..

9tonne grass surplus last week, gone by this week.
    Needs more careful look. 
    Serious milk at 29l and 2.2ms..

• Advertisement

Here the detail
    Last cover done 25th Mar. .surplus of 9623
    Today deficit of 55..so say zero...
    Over the period we grew at 46kg/ha/day
    With a demand of 51kg/ha/day.
    This excess demand would reduce the deficit by 2449..
    We entered that the cows would be eating 14kg grass with 4kg meal..so
    The excess of 9623
       Less               2449
    Should still leave excess of 7174...but it's gone...

Which means the cows consumed 4.92kg/day in excess of their allocated 14kg..
    Measurements done with plate meter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

alps wrote: »
    Here the detail
    The excess of 9623
       Less               2449

A lot of diets when indoor would be done up to 23+kg of DM. What type of cow have you 600kg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Here the detail
    The excess of 9623
    Less 2449

Would you have overestimated the DM% on your covers?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

I'm beginning to think cows can consume far more than 18kg dm....on 4gk of feed, ours cleared 12.5kg in last night's grazing..

9tonne grass surplus last week, gone by this week.
    Needs more careful look. 
    Serious milk at 29l and 2.2ms..

Definitely agree with you on that's Alps.
    I'd say much closer to 20 or even 21 for 600 kg Holstein cows.
    I'm not sure why people work off this figure of 18.
    I'm currently offering 3kg ration and reckon they're eating 17 grass, judging by plate meter.
    Currently milking 31L at 4.11f & 3.46P
    Give them enough and they will perform.

Yes..up to 600, but not much more. 60%Fr 40% Ho...not as tall as Ho herds...started with ho herd and went 2 Br Fr crosses and back with more NZ type Ho...some Jerudo..XDO and likes this year..
    Irish friesian club have taken straws from their own Bulls this year and are available to all to use, so looking forward to them.

But when you drop the strip wire...man can they hoover up grass...

Would you have overestimated the DM% on your covers?

Done by plate meter Buford.....but maybe that's overestimating covers...Im open to all suggestions here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

What formula are people using when measuring with the plate metre .

125/600..then minus 1550

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭ted_182

Got a clippers over the winter, the platemeter has been parked up since, platemeter was overestimating a good bit once you go over 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Brown Podzol

Lincoln University Dairy Farm offer 21 kg/dm to cows yielding 2.33 kg/ms and weighing 480kg, also complaining that plate meter is overestimating dm yield.

Weekly notes from 25 Oct here.

http://www.siddc.org.nz/assets/Farm-Walk-Notes/Combined-Farm-Walk-Notes-October-2016.pdf

Bang on timing BP.....Top class summary, and lots to ponder..

Some output from 480kg cows

And take particular note of 25.b.

50kgN/ha applied to date, ie start of AI...long ways under what we are being advised to do here...

• Advertisement

414562.png

414563.png

Done today. Growth has been good and will let out more stock over next few days

What technique are you using for measuring char?

RobinBanks wrote: »
    What technique are you using for measuring char?

Plate meter when I have it, (not often though ...only when I get the loan of it from the teagasc man) I estimate the rest and cut and weigh a few paddocks every time just to make sure my estimates aren't too far out

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭shamrockvilla

Driving south of Nantes yesterday and today, saw a field with round bales of covered silage.Saw several lads out turning the hay.How far are they ahead of home? would they do 4 cuts a year? Temperature at the moment approx 21c during the day.

Driving south of Nantes yesterday and today, saw a field with round bales of covered silage.Saw several lads out turning the hay.How far are they ahead of home? would they do 4 cuts a year? Temperature at the moment approx 21c during the day.

I was just east of dungarvan on Mon evening and met a keltec loaded with unwrapped bales so not that far ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I was just east of dungarvan on Mon evening and met a keltec loaded with unwrapped bales so not that far ahead.

The fusion baler was busy around this area today.
    I was just saying to the oul lad that we've come a long way when people are making silage in April.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    The fusion baler was busy around this area today.
    I was just saying to the oul lad that we've come a long way when people are making silage in April.

The auld lad was saying that this farm local to us was part of a teagasc type thing and that they were cutting silage in April. Wouldn't of been too recent either 20+ years ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

A lot of France wouldn't have good growth in july or August... they have to get winter feed sorted before June, indeed I saw ground burnt in France at the end of june with stock being fed....temperature was 35degrees plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Balers going around here last week. A few guys building numbers and not quiet there yet.

Milking area here just about feeding cows with 3 kg of nuts. Heifer block will see a baler next week

PullING out of silage ground today, covers gone too strong at 2500, starting second round. Covers about 1400 in first paddock due to delayed turnout. Will be tight for a bit but should get away with it. Pulling culls and sending them after heifers and will burn off 15 acres next week for reseeding Have circa 80 units out. Debating whether I should bale the ground I didn't graze which would be silage ground anyway and cut again before end of may or just fertilise and cut in may

• Advertisement

Mooooo wrote: »
    PullING out of silage ground today, covers gone too strong at 2500, starting second round. Covers about 1400 in first paddock due to delayed turnout. Will be tight for a bit but should get away with it. Pulling culls and sending them after heifers and will burn off 15 acres next week for reseeding Have circa 80 units out. Debating whether I should bale the ground I didn't graze which would be silage ground anyway and cut again before end of may or just fertilise and cut in may

Cut now. Fertilize as grazing area. Aftergrass on the fifth of May. Take out paddocks to go with first cut as aftergrass feeds back into rotation. Aim to have first cut completed by 15th of May at absolute latest. Second shot of aftergrass coming in on fifth of June at the latest.

Cut now. Fertilize as grazing area. Aftergrass on the fifth of May. Take out paddocks to go with first cut as aftergrass feeds back into rotation. Aim to have first cut completed by 15th of May at absolute latest. Second shot of aftergrass coming in on fifth of June at the latest.

Could do that with some of it alright, the rest is awkward as crossing two roads for one and walking along another public road to get to the other bit. The extra standing around and walking would negate the aftergrass effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Last of Silage fert going out next week. Couldn't stop dad yoking up the roller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

A pure sign he hasn't alot else for doing! :)

The grass wants to grow up and he's pushing it down! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

Yoking my eldest to the roller tomorrow. Rolling any paddocks that got FYM as they'll all be mowed at least once and with our own mower ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Yoking my eldest to the roller tomorrow. Rolling any paddocks that got FYM as they'll all be mowed at least once and with our own mower ;)

Ffs to the young lad, would you not at least let him hitch it to the tractor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Smashing stuff. Some waste of diesel rolling that though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sea12

MF290 wrote: »
    Ffs to the young lad, would you not at least let him hitch it to the tractor!

Brilliant post. Gave me s great laugh. 😀

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Smashing stuff. Some waste of diesel rolling that though!

A it was grazed in Feb and got dung after so god knows where there could be a stone lying in it

• Advertisement

One rule I have here(a lesson learned the hard way) is never spread FYM on silage ground in the spring. Either wait till Autumn when you will get plenty chances to walk the ground to check for stones/concrete or better still wait to plough it in at reseeding time.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

AFC 980
    Cover/lu 250
    Growth 55
    Will probably end up closing more for silage. Can see it really taking off in next week or so.
    Don't want to be going into covers of >2000

One rule I have here(a lesson learned the hard way) is never spread FYM on silage ground in the spring. Either wait till Autumn when you will get plenty chances to walk the ground to check for stones/concrete or better still wait to plough it in at reseeding time.

Wouldn't agree. Do it here every year. Get powerful grass and silage off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Hard to know am I only burning diesel here, but just can't get the cows to clean out any better. Another 12ac ungrazed of it, hope to be able to cut 8 or 9 soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Timmaay wrote: »
    Hard to know am I only burning diesel here, but just can't get the cows to clean out any better. Another 12ac ungrazed of it, hope to be able to cut 8 or 9 soon enough.

Low Ph there Timmaay?

Low Ph there Timmaay?

I need to go soil test, the tester and the boxes have been sitting in my car boot for a month now!! Anyways mower in tomorrow afternoon, forecast a little mixed, so bit of a gamble, but the grass has to come outa it to make room for maize. About 14ac in total to bale

• Advertisement

Jeez Timmay why didn't you cut last week with a high pressure stuck over Ireland. Coming week doesn't look good at all

Jeez Timmay why didn't you cut last week with a high pressure stuck over Ireland. Coming week doesn't look good at all

I know, but had to spray the field off! South East doesn't look too bad forecast wise.

Half thinking of gonna chance mowing 2moro as well. 5 day radar doesn't show much over us and as it's coming from north it tends to fizzle out by the time it gets down here but no doubt it'll piss rain as soon as the mower leaves...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Hoping to get a track machine in by the end of the week to open drains. I'm reckoning 300m in total with a bit of rock breaking thrown in to pass away a few hours. I can't remember most of this field ever being reseeded so looking forward to a good boost in grass for one cut and grazing for the rest of the year

Can anyone explain why UK have different targets to Ireland for grazing. In Ireland we are told that pre-grazing yield should be approx 1400 but in uk they say 3500kgDm/ha. Is it something to do with type of grass or what?

• Advertisement
Advertisement