Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grass Measuring Thread

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

AFC 850 here. We got a massive hit from the 38mm of rain we got. Growth 60 in the last 4 days but has slowed significantly so we’re back in with pulp.

Offered a farm with standing hay on it last week as the elderly owner can’t graze it. It’s 140 ac with 12 sucklers on it. Moved all our incalf heifers there yesterday. We’ve set it up to be block grazed. This will allow us to cut silage from their usual ground if it would bloody only rain. Walked the heifer ground yesterday and it’s totally parched for the want of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

AFC 850 here. We got a massive hit from the 38mm of rain we got. Growth 60 in the last 4 days but has slowed significantly so we’re back in with pulp.

Offered a farm with standing hay on it last week as the elderly owner can’t graze it. It’s 140 ac with 12 sucklers on it. Moved all our incalf heifers there yesterday. We’ve set it up to be block grazed. This will allow us to cut silage from their usual ground if it would bloody only rain. Walked the heifer ground yesterday and it’s totally parched for the want of rain.

We're steeped around here by the sound of things. Got a downpour on Thurs morning before dawn and gook a while for the sun to come out and place is soaked atm. No downpours just misty drizzly day that you'd hate if the weather was generally poor. Keeping things moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,832 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Reading in the journal that the Greenfield farm will be down 20 to 25% on milk supply this year. Surely most farms won't be that much down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

whelan2 wrote: »
    Reading in the journal that the Greenfield farm will be down 20 to 25% on milk supply this year. Surely most farms won't be that much down?

Most wont with all extra feed going in

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Most wont with all extra feed going in

That's what I was thinking

whelan2 wrote: »
    That's what I was thinking

Spring totally fooked then I’d say beteween all the confusion the time of the snow and slow grass growth farm never really had a chance this year also cow type and the ability to convert it to milk and solids at appreciable rates would be an issue and just to note that’s not a dig nor anything else sinister before someone jumps on it just a fact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Spring totally fooked then I’d say beteween all the confusion the time of the snow and slow grass growth farm never really had a chance this year also cow type and the ability to convert it to milk and solids at appreciable rates would be an issue and just to note that’s not a dig nor anything else sinister before someone jumps on it just a fact

The new farm manager is going about things a different way. That farm will be at different level with him behind the wheel

The new farm manager is going about things a different way. That farm will be at different level with him behind the wheel

How do you mean? One thing that struck me lately about that place is the level of staff turnover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭visatorro

Read his posts on another platform. He seems fairly open, just wondering what exactly he can do differently? Are his hands not tied to the way the project is run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,757 ✭✭✭jaymla627

visatorro wrote: »
    Read his posts on another platform. He seems fairly open, just wondering what exactly he can do differently? Are his hands not tied to the way the project is run?

Maybe he might get feeders in the parlour, expecting lads to shovel nearly two tons of nuts into cows daily during certain periods of the year is bananas

How many years are left on the lease?

That’s his big problem I think ,place has turned over lots staff and managers since it’s induction .current guy sounds very good and his weekly notes are good honest reading wouldn’t be surprised to hear someone snaps him up before long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭visatorro

mahoney_j wrote:
    That’s his big problem I think ,place has turned over lots staff and managers since it’s induction .current guy sounds very good and his weekly notes are good honest reading wouldn’t be surprised to hear someone snaps him up before long

Yeah the grass based thing and minimal spent is understandable. Not going to start that debate. But think Jay is right about something simple like feeders. I stood on the farm and laurence shaloo defended not having feeders. Fact is he wasn't shovelling meal. I don't think new generation of farmers are afraid of hard work, but nobody is going to break their back doing jobs that can be done mechanically for small money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah the grass based thing and minimal spent is understandable. Not going to start that debate. But think Jay is right about something simple like feeders. I stood on the farm and laurence shaloo defended not having feeders. Fact is he wasn't shovelling meal. I don't think new generation of farmers are afraid of hard work, but nobody is going to break their back doing jobs that can be done mechanically for small money.
    I did it myself until about 5 years ago because needs must. But it wasn't really fair on relief milkers to horsing stuff around so we put in feeders.

It's easy to talk about what return you are going to have on feeders but the needless hardship involved will mean you won't be getting the top managers working for you and the results won't be nice to look at.

I have yet to meet a farmer regretting putting in feeders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Spent 15 + years throwing out ration with buckets. The daybthw feeders went back on was one of the classic " why the fcuk wasn't that done years ago" moments. Quota is gone, labour , land and nitrates are gonna be the new limiting factors. If we want to keep labour or even get lads/ ladies in to cover for the wkend we are gonna have make jobs streamlined and straightforward. I'm learning that more now with last year having a part time person here now. Cost saving is all well and good but simple jobs that will be done near on every day more often than not should be automated. Shovelling ration and scraping **** are not gonna keep lads around when they could be doing better work and returning more to the business.
    When we were throwing ration out for the cows after milking it was taking say 30mins a day, between throwing out and them eating it. For say 280 days at grass that 140 hrs at 15 an hour that's 2100 a year payed out to shovel ration as well as that hour lost in terms of efficiency.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭FeirmeoirtTed

Anyone use the teagasc pasture sward stick for grass measuring? How did he find its accuracy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭alps

Finally, back on track to some extent, even though feeding 6kg...all Silage ground closed for another effort, so unless we get growth 50+, will have to stick with the feed.
    Growth now 49, so expect an increase..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

alps wrote: »
    Finally, back on track to some extent, even though feeding 6kg...all Silage ground closed for another effort, so unless we get growth 50+, will have to stick with the feed.
    Growth now 49, so expect an increase..

Out of interest, what is the send to Twitter tab about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭alps

Out of interest, what is the send to Twitter tab about?

Never saw it till now....guess if it's you want to go willy waving..

alps wrote: »
    Never saw it till now....guess if it's you want to go willy waving..
    Bit cold for that today, wait till tomorrow at least and see then:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

What are ye giving ground that the cows have recently grazed lads. Going with watery slurry here but think I'm wasting my time as it seems to be just drying on to the but of left over grass. Its not real watery would there be much value in it?? Dont want to spoil the next grazing as we are a bit light ahead of them. Stopped with ureu now as its heavy land and I think I will see feck all results with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭farisfat

What are ye giving ground that the cows have recently grazed lads. Going with watery slurry here but think I'm wasting my time as it seems to be just drying on to the but of left over grass. Its not real watery would there be much value in it?? Dont want to spoil the next grazing as we are a bit light ahead of them. Stopped with ureu now as its heavy land and I think I will see feck all results with it.

Watery slurry here to .....I think we'll get enough rain to wash it in.

Thought a few might be interested in a mentored grass measuring course being run by Teagasc.
    https://twitter.com/teagasc/status/1084817154153873408?s=19

Did a walk on Friday. Everything seemed grand. No major concerns either way. Did another one this morning based on clear outs over weekend. 10% of grazing area being mowed shortly. Sr before taking this out was over 5/ha on grazing area. Only concern now is am I going hard enough at 10%. No idea of AFC or gr other than what my eyes are telling me about covers and clearout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Doing the same here, half of heifer ground taken as well with some burned off. Stocked around 4.5 with this out but twill be back fast

Did a walk on Friday. Everything seemed grand. No major concerns either way. Did another one this morning based on clear outs over weekend. 10% of grazing area being mowed shortly. Sr before taking this out was over 5/ha on grazing area. Only concern now is am I going hard enough at 10%. No idea of AFC or gr other than what my eyes are telling me about covers and clearout.

Did simillar here ,was getting tight last week going in hard leaving 13 days ahead .rain promised at end of week so gambling a bit but should be ok .will have about 2.3 bales of very good silage per milking cow made after this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 604 ✭✭✭TooOldBoots

Met.ie up to there old tricks again. Rain that was forecast for
    midweek has been pushed out till the weekend. Same as last weeks forecast.
    Another week of this and grass will start browning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭White Clover

Met.ie up to there old tricks again. Rain that was forecast for
    midweek has been pushed out till the weekend. Same as last weeks forecast.
    Another week of this and grass will start browning

We got a small sup Friday night. The grass is growing away ok, what we need is a few days heat in the low 20's to keep it going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Spent the last 2wks with the afc on the floor stocked at about 4.3, only shot off last 4days I'd guess, and suddenly half a dozen paddocks are at 1100, I'll keep a close eye on them but no plans to take out any paddocks yet. Last year I ended up with one big 1st cut late May (any surplus paddocks went into the pit also), and as a result the afc was on the floor waiting for aftergrass that barely came with the drought, so I was feeding heavy from early June. I've split the cuts this year, 25ac out last week and hopefully that will be fit to graze in 3wks time, half the drycow stuff coming early June and the rest mid June.

Ground is drying out rapidly however, I've zero plans for any 2nd cut off the main block here at the minute here, however doing a deal for a 2nd cut crop from a neighbour.

We got a massive shower of rain during milking. Heavens opened for half an hour. Deluge stuff. Rivers running down yard. That'll do for a while

• Advertisement

Gr has fallen dramatically in the past week. Going premowing paddocks stopped for second cut this morning.

Bought in around 5.5t/cow of first cut on Saturday. Costing close to €200/cow with harvesting costs included but at least have the flexibility to take ground out of second cut now. Just enough rain after falling in past week to annoy anyone trying to cut silage.

Heifers going to contract rearer tomorrow so sr is falling dramatically. Will be under 3 tomorrow evening. Could well be on a fairly heavy feeding regime by the middle of June as things are going even at the lower sr.

Gr has fallen dramatically in the past week. Going premowing paddocks stopped for second cut this morning.

Bought in around 5.5t/cow of first cut on Saturday. Costing close to €200/cow with harvesting costs included but at least have the flexibility to take ground out of second cut now. Just enough rain after falling in past week to annoy anyone trying to cut silage.

Heifers going to contract rearer tomorrow so sr is falling dramatically. Will be under 3 tomorrow evening. Could well be on a fairly heavy feeding regime by the middle of June as things are going even at the lower sr.

Been back to 2.9 here the last week also, made zero attempt to stop anything for 2nd cut. This time last yr I ended up with one large 1st cut end of May with any excess paddocks pitted also, as a result I had to start feeding early in June ugh. As things stand now I should get into July without much buffering.

I have 8ac of a reseed that has struck but is static the last 2wks now, do I have any options for that now??

Opposite here ,flying it growth wise and looking for window to take out paddocks ,Sr in milk block is 4.2 with cows in full area .bits and pieces of rain over weekend ,nothing major but enough to wash in manure and give growth a good kick ,nice misty rain falling now ,urea going out in a bit .my big concern if this weather keeps up is ground water ,we’re just about getting enough to keep grass moving but that’s it ,a dry warm week would have me I. Trouble

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/grass-advice-cant-afford-to-take-your-foot-off-the-pedal/

Sponsored by grassland agro ha?? I'm certainly in no rush to lash out much fertiliser here, bag of 18 6 12 will be the height of it until we are due a decent bit of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Timmaay wrote: »
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/grass-advice-cant-afford-to-take-your-foot-off-the-pedal/

Sponsored by grassland agro ha?? I'm certainly in no rush to lash out much fertiliser here, bag of 18 6 12 will be the height of it until we are due a decent bit of rain.

Well I suppose it did take decades to ban cigarette advertising...:).

You're along the green way free arent you?
    We walked a good length of it on Sunday and it looked like there was plenty of grass about?

You're along the green way free arent you?
    We walked a good length of it on Sunday and it looked like there was plenty of grass about?

Nope. Different climate altogether in there. Much heavier soil type there also at least until you get to Durrow. On coast road.

That should do away with any drought for early summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Rain for us. Drought for mainland Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

vanished off yr and met.ie unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Yr Seems to change its mind every 12hr update with rain promised then pushed back or gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭stretch film

Yr Seems to change its mind every 12hr update with rain promised then pushed back or gone.

They do at times .
    Met were following them ml for ml then both disappeared.
    A good bit of silage knocked again around here

Advertisement