Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saris Bones and Thule Raceway 992 compatibly

Options
  • 20-05-2019 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi all, I recently bought a Hyundai Tucson 2018 model. I’m looking to buy, or should I say, I was looking to buy either a Saris bones 3 bike carrier or a Thule Raceway 992 3 bike carrier to carry 3 high end carbon race bikes.

However, my local Halfords has told me that neither are compatible with my car. It seems a bit hard to believe that neither model bike carrier will fit such a popular car brand and model??

Has anyone here fitted either to a Tucson? Maybe the person I spoke to in Halfords got it wrong??

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's not possible to fit a rear door fitting bike carrier to this vehicle, this is due to the design and/or strength of the tailgate.
    We would recommend considering either roof bar or tow bar mounting bike carriers. We have a great range of tow bar mounting and roof bar mounting bike carriers.

Others concur with Halfords. You'll need to fit a hitch so you can use a hitch carrier instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

ED E wrote: »
    Others concur with Halfords. You'll need to fit a hitch so you can use a hitch carrier instead.

Bol***ks☹️

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭bikedude

Usually is because of the plastic spoiler yoke at the top of the back window.

This one might be an option, had the same issue with one of the cars and had one of those.

https://hollywoodracks.com/products/f2-over-the-top-2-trunk-rack?variant=15862475718

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i have an octavia - another popular model of car - which also can't take many car carriers; because the windscreen does not have the metal frame running around the outside of the glass.
    someone here mentioned they paid €800 all in for the towbar install and towbar mounted carrier, so it's not a trivial investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

someone here mentioned they paid €800 all in for the towbar install and towbar mounted carrier, so it's not a trivial investment.
    That's the (dealer) price before carrier on mine. In the end, I couldn't justify it just for the annual holiday where we need more than one bike (once one bike fits in :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭SACH Central

Macy0161 wrote: »
    That's the (dealer) price before carrier on mine. In the end, I couldn't justify it just for the annual holiday where we need more than one bike (once one bike fits in :D )

It’s a big investment alright, very hard to justify!

Still can’t get my head around why a carrier won’t fit. Wouldn’t have bought the car if I was aware of it at the time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I am surprised that more cars don't come with a hitch/wiring system ready to go and allow you to maybe attach your own towball and discretely close it away if necessary. Lots of people are using bikes now so it would be handy.

I paid €500 to fit a towball and wiring on my car. Price around. If it is a new car and you will be keeping it for 5 or 6 years it is well worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

I am surprised that more cars don't come with a hitch/wiring system ready to go and allow you to maybe attach your own towball and discretely close it away if necessary. Lots of people are using bikes now so it would be handy.

I paid €500 to fit a towball and wiring on my car. Price around. If it is a new car and you will be keeping it for 5 or 6 years it is well worth.

So they can gouge you for "optional extras"? I've a Focus with bluetooth which will happily connect phone to the car audio and provide hands free calls. Can you play music through it - something that devices costing €20 can manage perfectly well? You can on your bollix. That'd be the audio pack sir, for an extra 500 quid or so.

We got the Saris for the Focus. Officially it isn't supported, primarily I think because of the plastic spoiler thing. I'd never seen mention of the lack of metal frame around the window, but that could make sense too. That said, it's rare that there'd be more than 1 bike carried by the Focus (other car is a 7 seater with no rack problems), so more usually I'll just put the back seat down and throw the bike in.

OP, have you given any thought to a roof rack? It's more of a faff (car looks fairly tall) and you need to be aware of the extra height, but should be a fair bit cheaper than a towbar

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

JMcL wrote: »
    I'd never seen mention of the lack of metal frame around the window, but that could make sense too.
    this is what my octavia boot lid looks like - as you can see, the frame the rear windscreen is bonded to is under rather than around the glass.

480883.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

I've an Octavia and use a Saris 3 with it. You can buy little sponge rolly things that attach to the strap and they then lock the rack in place on the inside/ceiling of the car.

Link to the yokes here, I picked mine up in eurocycles. Only coped the problem when I first went to install the rack and was worried about the metal hooks on glass.

https://eurocycles.com/saris-hatch-huggers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Zen0

You can probably pick up a tow bar and lighting socket from Mick’s Garage and have it fitted to your car by your own mechanic for a lot less than the dealership will charge. Just confirm a price with the mechanic before buying the kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭Ryath

Plus one on getting a towbar. If you regularly carry bikes the strap on ones are a faff. I made do with one for a long time in hindsite I should have just got a towbar fitted. I got it for free as part of the deal when I bought my last car and I'd never be with out one now.

The thule Hangon 3 looks good
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Thule-TH9720-Hangon-3-Bike/dp/B001M4HAOW?th=1

I have the Thule Express 2 that I mostly use for short trips with two bikes on it and the two kids bikes will still fit in the boot. It's takes about 2 seconds to clip on and is quick to load. For fully loaded trips to France I have a Buzzwing 4 platform style one with light board. Takes a extra couple of minutes to put a good bit longer load as there are 3 straps for every bike and can take a bit of manoeuvring to get on. Does get faster with practise though. Bikes are better protected and more secure so they don't rub together. Tipping function is very handy to so you can still get at boot fully loaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

this is what my octavia boot lid looks like - as you can see, the frame the rear windscreen is bonded to is under rather than around the glass.

480883.jpg

Poor car is crying out for a wash!

that's a protective layer of microfine particles, ethically sourced, and delivered using wind power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

that's a protective layer of microfine particles, ethically sourced, and delivered using wind power.

Ha, Im one to talk, mine is a disgrace most of the time, worse inside than out thanks to two dogs. Its a health hazard.

i wouldn't mind, only the previous car was beige. you could go six months before the car looked like it needed a wash. with the black one you're lucky to get a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭JMcL

i wouldn't mind, only the previous car was beige. you could go six months before the car looked like it needed a wash. with the black one you're lucky to get a few weeks.

Yeah mine's black and generally parked under trees and/or overhead wires so gets covered in bird crap.

I seem to be about as apathetic to car washes as I am to car ownership itself. I spent about 6 months in California in the 90s and had a hire car, which I never bothered cleaning. It got to the stage where the lads in work were egging me on to see just how manky it could get, which was quite manky by the time I had to go back to the hire company for some reason after about 4 months and after the initial look of horror was presented with a voucher for the car wash across the road.

I'd still be like that, but whatever it is that birds eat, it ain't paint friendly

Advertisement