Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning Permission for signage

• 19-05-2019 6:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

A company originally got planning permission to erect advertising signage at the entrance to the small industrial estate where they resided. About 10 years ago they moved to a new location in a different town. They insist that the signage at the original location has to stay as they got planning permission for it and argue they still get business by having the signs there.
    My question is, do they have a right to keep the old signage in situ?

County Council planning say they don't know which is not very helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Is the planning permission for A sign or is the permission specifically for THAT sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Who owns the estate? They should have the last word in the sign even if it has planning permission? Are they charging them rent for the sign?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Odelay wrote: »
    Who owns the estate? They should have the last word in the sign even if it has planning permission? Are they charging them rent for the sign?

The signs are just before the entrance to the estate on the public side.

Is the planning permission for A sign or is the permission specifically for THAT sign?

The permission is for a vertical structure that can take a few signs but the company in question is the only one on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭Odelay

Joe Public wrote: »
    The signs are just before the entrance to the estate on the public side.

On council owned land? If then they’ll have to pay rent each year to the council.

Who owns the land the sign is on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You might find it useful to check the file for the original PP.
    It will be available in the Planning Department of the Local Authority or possibly online.

Odelay wrote: »
    On council owned land? If then they’ll have to pay rent each year to the council.

Who owns the land the sign is on?

I think I better confirm who owns the property. The entrance gateway is set back from the footpath by about 4 meters and the sign is on the area between the main footpath and the entrance gate.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think I better confirm who owns the property. The entrance gateway is set back from the footpath by about 4 meters and the sign is on the area between the main footpath and the entrance gate.

Most likely private property then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

Sounds like it was not foresaw that the planning for the signage would be for somewhere other than that industrial estate and therefore there wasn't a specific condition stating such.

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    Sounds like it was not foresaw that the planning for the signage would be for somewhere other than that industrial estate and therefore there wasn't a specific condition stating such.

In theory, the owners of the land, can leave the structure in place, but remove the company signage and replace it with signage for another company within the estate.

• Advertisement

I've searched for the original planning number from 1995 and there are no documents or conditions on the planning website.
    I asked someone who knows a little more than me and they say that commercial signage usually comes with a time limit, maybe 10 years or so, and then you have to apply again.
    I've asked the council for more info on the conditions, if any, that were attached to the granting of permission. Have to wait a few days for that and it costs €9.25 for the search.
    The signage is on private property, makes sense as you wouldn't otherwise get permission too easy.
    In theory a property owns to the middle of the road but that doesn't mean you do what you like with it.
    Some people modify the footpath to widen their entrance, without permission, but the council don't like that - more info from the person who knows more :)

I've searched for the original planning number from 1995 and there are no documents or conditions on the planning website.
    I asked someone who knows a little more than me and they say that commercial signage usually comes with a time limit, maybe 10 years or so, and then you have to apply again.
    I've asked the council for more info on the conditions, if any, that were attached to the granting of permission. Have to wait a few days for that and it costs €9.25 for the search.
    The signage is on private property, makes sense as you wouldn't otherwise get permission too easy.
    In theory a property owns to the middle of the road but that doesn't mean you do what you like with it.
    Some people modify the footpath to widen their entrance, without permission, but the council don't like that - more info from the person who knows more :)

You will have to view the files at the public counter. Back then there was no privacy data thing on the application form, so they are not allowed display documents online. Only apps from around 2006 onwards.

Update - no conditions of any use along with the planning permission so that's not the solution.

The permission is for
    Development Description: Erection of sign (2.8 metres high by 1.8 metres wide) at entrance

It could be argued the permission is for the structure the sign is mounted on and not the sign itself. The structure is the main part with the sign affixed to it.

However this is on KCC's website but when pointed out to planning they say they don't know.

http://www.kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/Planning/SignagePolicy2013/Adopted%20Signage%20Policy.pdf

5.7 Remove signage/advertisement where the business
    has ceased trading
    Any signage/advertisement associated with a business that has ceased
    trading shall be removed. In circumstances where such
    signage/advertisement remains in situ the Council may remove the
    signage/advertisement and recover its costs from the owner of the
    signage/advertisement.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

to play devils advocate here but....

why is this even an issue?

one sign on a multi sign structure obviously doesnt stop other business erecting similar signs

sydthebeat wrote: »
    to play devils advocate here but....

why is this even an issue?

one sign on a multi sign structure obviously doesnt stop other business erecting similar signs

Trying to do a clean sweep, also lots of unauthorised signs in the same general area. Bit of a mess.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,830 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Trying to do a clean sweep, also lots of unauthorised signs in the same general area. Bit of a mess.

so this is a litter / tidy towns kind of issue?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    so this is a litter / tidy towns kind of issue?

That's one way of putting it!

Advertisement