Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does cataclean or any of those additives actually clean the cat converter?

• 18-05-2019 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

Got an inefficient cat error code on the car. After some googling I found that some people sorted it by putting all sorts of cleaners into the fuel tank. Anybody have any success with this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Apparently some people on the internet got it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Yes but many others said it's snake oil doesn't do anything. I need a good honest Irish opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Make sure the car is running properly, serviced etc, and go out and roast it. Any crap built up in the cat will burn off.

pablo128 wrote: »
    roast it
    This means to run car at higher revs than normal.
    For instance you can drive the motorway in a lower gear than normal for 10 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

biko wrote: »
    This means to run car at higher revs than normal.
    For instance you can drive the motorway in a lower gear than normal for 10 mins.

An Italian tune up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Is it a VVTi Toyota?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

My car failed the NCT on emissions recently, long story short, by using dipetane, which was recommended by people on here and then later cataclean, it passed the NCT retest on Tuesday last, the results were less then half of what the original test recorded.

So yes, it definitely works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Supposedly you can take the cat off and dump it in a bucket of soapy water for 24 hours or so and that cleans it out probably better than the cataclean though don't take my word on that as I'm not sure which way is better but soaking in soapy water sounds better than stuff you put in petrol tank and then though the piping and through fuel filter burnt off in engine and then down the exhaust pipe to cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,363 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Supposedly you can take the cat off and dump it in a bucket of soapy water for 24 hours or so and that cleans it out probably better than the cataclean though don't take my word on that as I'm not sure which way is better but soaking in soapy water sounds better than stuff you put in petrol tank and then though the piping and through fuel filter burnt off in engine and then down the exhaust pipe to cat.

Don't do this.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Don't do this.
    Please elaborate on why this isn't a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

roguey wrote: »
    My car failed the NCT on emissions recently, long story short, by using dipetane, which was recommended by people on here and then later cataclean, it passed the NCT retest on Tuesday last, the results were less then half of what the original test recorded.

Is it a diesel engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Did you get the emissions measured again or do you just limp it over for the test? A proper running vehicle shouldn't have emissions issues.

Is it a VVTi Toyota?

2004 ford fieshta 1.2 pethrdle

Did you blasht it down the motorway? If so for how long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

Macdarack wrote: »
    Is it a diesel engine?

No a 1.25 petrol Fiesta.
    Del2005 wrote: »
    Did you get the emissions measured again or do you just limp it over for the test? A proper running vehicle shouldn't have emissions issues.

Yes I guess it just got over the line, recorded a .18% when the the limit is .20. But I only did it this way to avoid having to replace the catalytic converter, which would have cost 500+, which on a car barely worth 1k, I wasn't going to do.

This means I can keep using the car for another year, at which point I will most likely scrap it.
    Did you blasht it down the motorway? If so for how long?

Yes I took a maybe 15 minute trip down the n11/m11 at high revs, engine was very hot going it, the test recorded the engine temp at 106c. I'm sure this helped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

I chucked a bottle of it in the tank last year, ran it up and down the motorway and boom!!! she passed her NCT.

I chucked a bottle of it in the tank last year, ran it up and down the motorway and boom!!! she passed her NCT.

But did it fail previously with emissions?

Advertisement