Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a timber glass house: what joints?

Options
  • 09-05-2019 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭

The attached image is not what I have in mind, am posting it so as we know what joints we are talking about :)

The basic frame will be a portal frame, in tantalised timber, so looking for ideas for the haunch connection/ bracket and apex connection/ bracket

My current plan is to roof the rafters with polycarbonate, and then line the inside, including the rafters, with poly-tunnel polythene.
    My idea is that the timber should last longer when not damp with condensation and maintenance from the inside means i can shove it into a corner.
    Ventilation will be in each gable end

The boss would like some glass on front and one side, so again thinking internally fitted.
    One downside is that the use of the apex and knee braces will be limited.

Has anyone seen
    pre-made galvanised steel brackets for this work.
    Looking forward to your thoughts :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

My current plan is to roof the rafters with polycarbonate, and then line the inside, including the rafters, with poly-tunnel polythene.

That'd prevent the timber from breathing and trap any moisture that does get in against the surface. Might cause more problems than it solves.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,217 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

lgk wrote: »
    That'd prevent the timber from breathing and trap any moisture that does get in against the surface. Might cause more problems than it solves.

Sorry, the poly carbonate with be on the outside, with the eaves, and ridge vented.
    Plastic will be inside so timbers full vented on the two sides

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

Ah sorry, I was picturing you wrapping all the lengths individually :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Use 12mm Marine ply for the apex and haunch brackets

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

How deep are your pockets,:D

http://media.brintex.com/Occurrence/105/Brochure/2665/brochure.pdf

Sorry about that, mind not on the job:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement