Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax refund after leaving the country?

• 13-05-2019 11:17am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I left Ireland to work abroad at the end of November 2018. A friend who did the same a few years ago told me he got a large tax refund - and I should check if I'm due the same. I was assuming no as it would only be one month of my tax free allowance - but is there something else I am missing? Am I entitled to a refund of any tax I paid in 2018 can anyone tell me please??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Zascar wrote: »
    I left Ireland to work abroad at the end of November 2018. A friend who did the same a few years ago told me he got a large tax refund - and I should check if I'm due the same. I was assuming no as it would only be one month of my tax free allowance - but is there something else I am missing? Am I entitled to a refund of any tax I paid in 2018 can anyone tell me please??

There's a number of things to consider.

How long will you be abroad for?

Did you have any social welfare payments between leaving work and leaving the country?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I have no plans to come back any time soon, will be here for many years I'm guessing.

No social welfare I've always been in full time employment and I'm well into the higher tax bracket.

Hope that helps, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

You;d be due a refund of any unutlised tax credits for the year - there would be a months worth. Your unused Standard Rate Cut off point will also be used to calculate your yearly liability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Always better to leave / move to Ireland mid-tax-year so you get the benefit of the split year (i.e. full standard allowance).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok thanks guys - yes unfortautnely I could not have left mid year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Do a P21 balancing statement using "my account" on the revenue website. Include any medical expenses you may have incurred during 2018 (excluding routine dental work)

OK thanks. Am I OK to do this separate from my return for my rental income?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Zascar wrote: »
    OK thanks. Am I OK to do this separate from my return for my rental income?

If you have rental income in 2018, then all of your income is looked at together when you file your 2018 tax return.

Great, thank you.

Advertisement