Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horseback riding for kids in Donegal

Options
  • 07-04-2019 1:54pm

Hi,

It’s a bit last minute, but we’re going to Donegal with the kids next week Monday-Thursday. We would really like to take them horseback riding, but all the places we found online that cater for kids (ages 5, 6 and 10) are either closed this time of year or only open weekends.

Would any of you happen to know of any places that are open during the week?

Thank you,

Maria

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

What part of Donegal are you going to?

What part of Donegal are you going to?

We’ll be staying around Milford, but we honestly don’t mind driving. We’ll be going to different places Allover the county anyway.

Thanks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

There's Glenleary Equestrian centre in Ramelton, Green acres in Convoy, Lenamore in Muff and Ash Lee Riding centre just across the border in Strabane.

If your venturing to the south of the county there's also Donegal Equestrian Centre in Bundoran. They do beach treks as well as normal lessons.

If your venturing to the south of the county there's also Donegal Equestrian Centre in Bundoran. They do beach treks as well as normal lessons.

Thank you, but we are looking for trecks on larger ponies or horses, not indoor or arena type riding on small ponies, also they have to suit the kids ages. So unfortunately can’t use any of your suggestions.

If anyone else has any more suggestions, please let us know.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Thank you, but we are looking for trecks on larger ponies or horses, not indoor or arena type riding on small ponies, also they have to suit the kids ages. So unfortunately can’t use any of your suggestions.

They should do treks outside of arena lessons too.

There is also a new place opened up called Errigal Equestrian. It might be worth checking out. Deanes does farm rides of various lengths.

What is the ability of your kids, can they all walk, trot, canter and manage a small jump? I have worked in a trekking centre and the procedure was that you would be assessed in the arena first. If you were not of sufficient ability to go on a trek you couldn't go as (a) it would be down right dangerous and (b) you were not covered by insurance. Most places can accommodate a hack on public roads or cross country if that is what you are after. Trekking is a different thing and in most cases involves galloping on a beach. I'm not sure where you are from but there are no bridal paths in Donegal and there are only two or three trekking centres in the county, one I have already recommended to you and one that doesn't open till Easter. There may be a third in Dunlewey I'm not sure.

What is the ability of your kids, can they all walk, trot, canter and manage a small jump? I have worked in a trekking centre and the procedure was that you would be assessed in the arena first. If you were not of sufficient ability to go on a trek you couldn't go as (a) it would be down right dangerous and (b) you were not covered by insurance. Most places can accommodate a hack on public roads or cross country if that is what you are after. Trekking is a different thing and in most cases involves galloping on a beach. I'm not sure where you are from but there are no bridal paths in Donegal and there are only two or three trekking centres in the county, one I have already recommended to you and one that doesn't open till Easter. There may be a third in Dunlewey I'm not sure.

Thank you.

Yes, you can trek without galloping and there are shorter treks designed especially for kids. My kids have been on horseback plenty of times and can ride very confidently as long as they’re being led (small ones) and I know for a fact there are a couple of places in Donegal alone that offer that service, but unfortunately they aren’t open next week.

Either way, thanks very much to everyone, I found a place that does exactly what we need.

Advertisement