Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ceramic coating - reservations?

• 20-05-2019 12:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting the car Ceramic coated, I know the guy doing it and I know it will be a top job.

I have a couple reservations though.

I actually enjoy the whole car cleaning thing, am pretty OCD and have a shed full of waxes and polishes. I assume ceramic coating will be the end of all that, with just simply washing replacing all those products? Would you ever wax a car that has a ceramic coating, I assume there is no point?

The actual visual results of ceramic coating. I've seen them and the shine has a very glassy look to it, hard to describe but different from the gloss you get with waxing and polishing. My wife actually said she didn't want hers done as she doesn't like that glassy look! Am I imagining this?

Lastly, how long does the coating last with weekly washing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Applying a wax to a ceramic coating will only serve to make the coating fill up with wax and you won't get the benefit of it along with creating more work for you. Waxing can also reduce the life of the coating because it's receiving more abrasion by applying and buffing the wax.

Companies that offer ceramic coatings often have "booster" type products that can be applied e.g. CarPro's Reload and Gtechniq's QD.

The shine is supposed to have a glassy look to it, that's how it works. This glassy look also provides incredible sheeting (dry the car with water effect).

If you use the shampoo from the same company, the coating should last however long they suggest on the packaging with proper maintenance, proper use of upkeep products and no wax applied on top :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Figured as much, will just have to divert all my products onto the wifes car!

Can you use one companies reload product anothers coating?

For those that have had it done was it worth it?

Figured as much, will just have to divert all my products onto the wifes car!

Can you use one companies reload product anothers coating?

For those that have had it done was it worth it?

You can but you're better off sticking to the same line of products as they are made (by the same chemists) to work with each other.

It was most certainly worth it. It cut the time I spent on the car down considerably with not having to apply wax or anything like that. It was wash, dry, job done.

Can I ask which coating you are considering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Can I ask which coating you are considering?

Of course, Diamondbrite.

Of course, Diamondbrite.

That's one of the dealer-applied products isn't it? Anything like that isn't going to be a true ceramic coating (such as Gtechniq Crystal Serum, CarPro CQuartz) It's more of a sealant cream type product that's applied in the same manner as a wax.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What happens with Tar spatters? If you use Tardis or similar will it ruin the coating?

Truckermal wrote: »
    What happens with Tar spatters? If you use Tardis or similar will it ruin the coating?

Not sure as I've no experience with these type of coatings.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SandyMac1234

Thinking of doing this myself. Who do you recommend doing it and what is the cost like? I believe this process even hides some small scratches. A friend in work got the coating on line @ 7.50 euro. Took him 4 hours but the car needs to be spotless before starting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭doh1988

I always found the same , that a coating never gives that nice wet look a good quality wax will give.

I always like trying new products , so have decided against getting my own car coated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

Has anyone any experience of using Autoglym's ULTRA HIGH DEFINITION CERAMIC COATING ?

https://www.autoglym.com/ultra-high-definition-ceramic-coating

• Advertisement
Advertisement