Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a Camera

Options
  • 15-05-2019 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Hello all

I have read the FAQ and sticky posts about choosing a camera but hoping to get some advice on specifics if possible!

I would like to get a new camera, I got a canon 600d years ago but am abit jaded with it - I have found that it just won't focus (I am far from an expert but this seems to happen due to light levels, a red square will appear on the screen and it just won't take the photo and by then it is often too late!). Also, being inexperience I assumed it would have a fantastic zoom but just came with the standard lens which actually has hardly any zoom ("18 - 55 mm"?).

Anyway I would like to get a new camera, with an absolute upper limit of €500 but hopefully significantly less. I want a camera that will take crystal clear images when I press the button haha and not faff about focusing like the one I have. I would also like a good zoom on it.

I have been researching online and wonder if the Nikon d3500 or the Sony Alpha 6000 be good options? Or can anyone offer other suggestions based on the above?

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Hello all

I have read the FAQ and sticky posts about choosing a camera but hoping to get some advice on specifics if possible!

I would like to get a new camera, I got a canon 600d years ago but am abit jaded with it - I have found that it just won't focus (I am far from an expert but this seems to happen due to light levels, a red square will appear on the screen and it just won't take the photo and by then it is often too late!). Also, being inexperience I assumed it would have a fantastic zoom but just came with the standard lens which actually has hardly any zoom ("18 - 55 mm"?).

Anyway I would like to get a new camera, with an absolute upper limit of €500 but hopefully significantly less. I want a camera that will take crystal clear images when I press the button haha and not faff about focusing like the one I have. I would also like a good zoom on it.

I have been researching online and wonder if the Nikon d3500 or the Sony Alpha 6000 be good options? Or can anyone offer other suggestions based on the above?

Thanks so much in advance!
    Would you not be better off investing in a decent lens?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Independent12

vandriver wrote: »
    Would you not be better off investing in a decent lens?

Two reasons - I don't think this will sort issues with it not taking photos under certain conditions. Secondly it is quite cumbersome and would be more cumbersome with an even bigger lens.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What a focusing settings are you using? Are you using live view or are you using the view finder? The 600d uses a very old and slow focusing system when viewing through the screen, which makes it almost useless for moving subjects. But using the viewfinder will not have this problem at all, and it should be lightning fast, well, at least in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I got a canon 600d years ago but am abit jaded with it - I have found that it just won't focus (I am far from an expert but this seems to happen due to light levels, a red square will appear on the screen and it just won't take the photo and by then it is often too late!)

It sounds like the poor old camera just needs a bit of TLC! I have an EOS 1000FN from the last century that still focuses as quickly and accurately as my 1200D. Have you (ever) cleaned the lens (front/back), the mirror, sensor, focusing screen? If you have, there might be smudges on any/all of those surfaces that are messing up the focusing process; if you haven't, there might be smudges on any/all of those surfaces that are messing up the focussing process! :D

However, your description of what you're looking for in a camera - and your frustration with a lens that you could have changed at any time - suggests that you shouldn't really be looking at another DSLR, because you'll still be starting with a lens that doesn't necessarily do what you want ... and dozens of different buttons to fiddle with so the camera knows what kind of picture you want to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Are there any reasonably priced non-DSLR's that focus as quickly and accurately as even a low to mid price DSLR?

• Advertisement

What a focusing settings are you using? Are you using live view or are you using the view finder? The 600d uses a very old and slow focusing system when viewing through the screen, which makes it almost useless for moving subjects. But using the viewfinder will not have this problem at all, and it should be lightning fast, well, at least in comparison.

It just has everything on automatic I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Go get a decent bridge camera or learn the basics of using a dslr ...sounds like the problem is with the kit lens..invest in a decent all round lens or switch to a bridge or point and shoot.
    Nikon P900 or p1000 would be a good option...you probably need to go second hand for your price point but you might pick up a p900 for €500 new.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

It just has everything on automatic I think!

But are you looking at the screen on the back of the camera or through the viewfinder on top? As I mentioned, if using the screen the focusing will be very slow indeed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The Sony a6000 is a great camera and would probably do what you're looking for. It's all about the lens. To be good in low light you need a prime lens really. Any camera will come with a generic kit lens, usually 16-55 or so. I bought an 18-135mm for my Sony A6500 and it pretty much never leaves the camera now. I also have a 30mm prime lens that takes much better shots indoors. But there is always the issue of the more often I change lens, more often I get dust on the sensor, have to clean it etc.

I think you should probably get a bridge camera. Won't be as good indoors but will have a great zoom. I definitely wouldn't get another DSLR unless you're going to properly learn photography. The smaller cameras tend to have great Auto functions which is probably what you'll use.

But are you looking at the screen on the back of the camera or through the viewfinder on top? As I mentioned, if using the screen the focusing will be very slow indeed.

Sorry for the delay - it’s if using the screen. But I don’t think it focuses as well using the viewfinder?

• Advertisement

dory wrote: »
    The Sony a6000 is a great camera and would probably do what you're looking for. It's all about the lens. To be good in low light you need a prime lens really. Any camera will come with a generic kit lens, usually 16-55 or so. I bought an 18-135mm for my Sony A6500 and it pretty much never leaves the camera now. I also have a 30mm prime lens that takes much better shots indoors. But there is always the issue of the more often I change lens, more often I get dust on the sensor, have to clean it etc.

I think you should probably get a bridge camera. Won't be as good indoors but will have a great zoom. I definitely wouldn't get another DSLR unless you're going to properly learn photography. The smaller cameras tend to have great Auto functions which is probably what you'll use.

Thanks - will look up the Sony a6000!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Sorry for the delay - it’s if using the screen. But I don’t think it focuses as well using the viewfinder?

It will. But if you haven't adjusted the viewfinder's diopter to suit your eye (... and I have a sneaking suspicion you haven't :rolleyes: ) then you'll think it's out of focus when actually it's you!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You've been hampering yourself hugely.

canon-eos-600d-back-screen.jpg

1. Use the viewfinder, that lets the focusing unit on the back of the mirror work
    2. Hit that button on the top right, put the focusing mode into center point only, not all points
    3. Point at what you want (persons face), half press the shutter, frame the shot (get the nice background in), full press the shutter

Advertisement