Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comics

Options
  • 04-02-2002 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭

How many people here actually read comic books and/or graphic novels and in your opinion which are the best.
    Mine would be
    The Dark Knight Returns
    The Long Halloween
    Batman: Year One
    and Sin City.

Fans of The Dark Knight Returns will like to know that the sequel called The Dark Knight Strikes Again is soon to be released in a full novel form. Frank Miller and Lynn Varley are doing it.

Also could anyone tell me if there are any good comic shops in Cork.
    Buying off Amazon is a pain in the ass.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

These are my classic top5 Comics:

-Watchmen
    -Sandman
    -HellBlazer
    -SwampThing
    -Batman:Arkham Asylum

(Comic Kingdom in Dublin is pretty Good)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

I'm no expert but I thought V for Vendetta was amazing. The League of Gentlemen and Transmetropolitan are cool too.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    Where's that?

The first two parts of Dark Knight Strikes back are already out. Some of the art work is a bit cack, but the story is good.

The follow up to Long Halloween, Dark Victory, should be out in trade parper back. Not quite as good as LH, but still damn good.

The Authority is excellent. There are two TPBs at the moment covering issues 1 - 16.

Out of the current crop of comics I am really enjoying (in no particular order):
    Batgirl
    Ultimate X-men
    Ultimate Spiderman
    GI Joe
    Ministry of Space

Oh - aparently there is a new Transforms comic coming out over the summer - hurrah!

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

Originally posted by D-Generate

Also could anyone tell me if there are any good comic shops in Cork.
    Buying off Amazon is a pain in the ass.

Not anymore unfortunately. there was one near the bottom of Patricks hill until about 2 years ago and there was one in Liberty street before that but nothing now. There was talk of a shop in Galway opening a branch here but since it hasn't happened yet its unlikely..

If you like Dark Knight Returns you should also check out other stuff from Frank Miller eg. Ronin, 300

Transmet is the only ongoing series i buy these days. anyone recommend anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

yeah,
    hitman (the name of the shop) in coburg st./patricks hill was good but i never really took advantage of it. My favourite comic is The Maxx by sam kieth on image. It came out in 1993 and the series ended but im still collecting it. If anyone has any issues i'd buy them. Pitt was good aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Don't read em anymore but used to read X-men and Spider man comics, and am Eagal? really old comics, I had some of the Revenge of the Tiger series.

quote:
    Originally posted by Clinical Waste
    Where's that?

Whoops, sorry, USED to be good. (Gone forever I thinks)

Now there is only Forbidden Planet really.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

Don't forget Sub City.

whoops again....

my brain cell count falling consta..........

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I love the Sin City stuff - Frank Miller's top man!
    Dark Knight returns was excellent too.
    V for Vendetta was mentioned as was Watchmen - all excellent.

I keep meaning to start into the Sandman series - they're good, ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

Dark Minds = quality.
    Punisher = quality.
    Too Much Coffee Man = quality.
    100 Bullets = quality.
    Transmetropolitan = quality.

Take a look here for stuff along the lines of good comics>>> www.dreamwaveprod.com

:cool:

*edit

I had't been there in a while and they've udated it a lot since.
    They're doing a lot of stuff with Transformers and theres some great poster type pics, if you only look at one look at the one of Predaking, whoa!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

I enjoyed:
    Cash: I See a Darkness
    by Reinhard Kleist

reinhard-kleist-johnny-cash-graphic-novel-comic-I-see-a-darkness-illustration-cover-luxus-710x1024.jpg

Advertisement