Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birds flying into windows

Options
  • 10-04-2021 12:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

During the breeding season last year I had loads of mistle thrushes in the garden (I counted 8 in one go once). But... they kept flying into the windows. All the time. I think 10 ended up dead from flying into the windows. I tried closing blinds and curtains, sticking those stickers you can get on the glass... but nothing seemed to work. Does anyone have any other suggestions? They're starting to come back again and I'd rather not have to experience another mistle thrush massacre.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it possible that something is scaring them into the windows?
    and was it always the same window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

is it possible that something is scaring them into the windows?
    and was it always the same window?

We don't have cats or anything like that, so not sure what could be scaring them.

And no, it was several different windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bunny_mac wrote: »
    We don't have cats or anything like that, so not sure what could be scaring them.

And no, it was several different windows!

That happened here one year and finally I covered the windows on the OUTSIDE with newspaper or "contact" so there was no reflection at all just for a few weeks.

It is the reflection ie a bird image that draws them. So if we remove/cover that totally?

They see it they think as a challenge - or a mate.

It has not happened since but I think the birds are wise to my cats and I rarely see birds close to the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bunny_mac

Ahh, covering the windows on the outside! Thanks, Graces7, I'll give that a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

bunny_mac wrote: »
    Ahh, covering the windows on the outside! Thanks, Graces7, I'll give that a go!

I hope it works.. after all, what the eye cannot see the heart does not get mad at!

And you reminded me that after that first year no more trouble.

• Advertisement
Advertisement