Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Death of a British Royal - Radio Protocol

• 09-04-2021 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭

Having had a scan around the UK stations online all the output has been cut.

No ads, solemn music, no presenters or anything.

As a side note, all BBC channels are running the news channels.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

All working fine on Radio Garden.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

All working fine on Radio Garden.

Why wouldnt it be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

BBC Radio cut out accordingly. Radio 1 cut from a Lana Del Rey track into a network wide news bulletin.

Commercially, Capital took over their main and Dance brands to the Global newsroom- others followed. Their website, strangely enough, leads with an image of HRH on a black background and a link to the Global website. You can't get to the radio player at this time, unless directly linked.

I didn't see how Bauer handled it, but I did see that Kiss ran normal programming.

As of writing this, BBC Radio 1 remains running the news, which is certainly a first for many, and a strange experience for much of their demographic I would imagine.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Very impressively compressive response from Global

All stations now carrying downbeat music with special basic liners between songs with minimal presenter interaction. No ads. Spin off stations are carrying their parent. All logos are blacked out on social media. Programming on Global Player replaced with “Special Announcement” til 11pm tonight. Networked news from London on Capital.

Thankfully Listen Back is still working for us international listeners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Why wouldnt it be?

Because you said they weren’t broadcasting.

Because you said they weren’t broadcasting.

I never said that. I said the output had been cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

BBC Radio 1 playing mellow classical type music. No UK Top 40 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Here’s how we, allegedly, handled the death of Éamon de Valera:

https://mobile.twitter.com/faduda/status/1380498516393521158?s=20

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Capital still playing slow music, no adverts or beds, basic spoken liners and news on the half hour.

Surely this will be today only. Can’t imagine anyone choosing to keep listening.

• Advertisement

BBC Radio 1 led with the TOTH pips and then to a bulletin across R1, 1XTRA, and Asian Network.
    This went on for around seventeen minutes until the above instrumental music started to play.

It has played 'Someone You Loved' by Lewis Capaldi, 'Strong' by London Grammar, 'Hometown Glory' by Adele, and 'Magic' by Coldplay.

Scott Mills explained that the chart show is off, and that the next news would be at 5pm.

Then it went back into instrumentals of 'Your Song' (the Ellie Goulding version), 'Let it Go' by James Bay, 'All of Me' by John Legend, 'My Boy My Town' by Mabel, 'Stay with Me' by Sam Smith, 'Make You Feel My Love' by Adele, and then back into news.

News again, and we're back with a piano version of Emeli Sandé's 'Read All About It.

You can take this as the demo for 'London Bridge is down'. It's quite eerie to say the least, and to hear BBC Radio 1, in particular, like this.

Bonus: the playout system briefly reported the Asian Network tracks to last.fm. It'll be a long time since that profile was not updated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

marno21 wrote: »
    Capital still playing slow music, no adverts or beds, basic spoken liners and news on the half hour.

Surely this will be today only. Can’t imagine anyone choosing to keep listening.

It was the same when Diana died. I was in London that night and didn't have access to a tv, so had no idea what had happened When I got up next morning to get a train to Heathrow, I noticed that the city was particularly quiet - when I caught a glimpse of a newspaper stand, I saw why.

I did have a radio with me and when I tuned across the band, there was nothing but slow instrumental music on all stations. It was really strange to hear. It reminded me of the sudden death of President Erskine Childers in 1974 when Rádio Eireann did the same thing.

As an aside, in a previous life I installed a telephone conference system in a media network switching room at the base of the London BT tower in the early 90's. It was pre programmed with hotline numbers to the duty editors of radio and tv stations of the time - the idea being that if there was a sudden national event, they could all be immediately conferenced together to decide how to handle the story. It was known as 'the queen is dead system' and you had to be very careful testing it - make sure everyone knows it is just a test!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Duran Duran have posted on Instagram that a documentary airing tomorrow on BBC radio has been shelved due to scheduling changes around the death......WTF?

I have dipped into Heart a few times. Seem to be rotating the same songs. So nothing new there. News every 30 mins. Dry liners, the odd link.

Strangely enough, Radio 1 and R1 Dance have reverted to format. TOTH was Bicep. Danny Howard's slot has Dennis Ferrer's "Hey Hey", and now "Ocean Drive" from Duke Dumont. 1Xtra still playing slow tempo.

Schedule is down as BBC News Special.

There's a definite change of tone across the youth stations. Will check out the commercials, but I'd assume they'll follow suit. Capital FM are still playing the likes of Beyonce's "Halo", Adele, and Billie Eilish,

Gary Davies on BBC R2 until Midnight with easy listening songs

Strangely enough, Radio 1 and R1 Dance have reverted to format.

Scott Mills playing more slow R n B with short links and links to the NewsBeat - not the usual format that would be normally on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

BBC getting a few complaints given the blanket TV and Radio coverage....seems bizzare they can't keep it to one channel of TV and Radio for those who want it..not everything.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/contact/complaints

no jingles or any liners on BBC R2, mellow music continuing after Midnight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Not just BBC, Tuned into Skyarts on the telly for a classic album "The Who".....nope...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,541 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Our neighbouring island is turning into North Korea.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

I have never, ever been more depressed at the loss of a dearly departed. What makes it worse is that he was only 99.
    I'm onto my sleeping pills and ether and Jameson's. Kreisst.

Missed out on getting a telegram from his mrs by a matter of weeks.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Apparently when he died it was the 99th day of 2021, if there's anything worth gambling on with a 9 tomorrow go for it.

Apparently when he died it was the 99th day of 2021, if there's anything worth gambling on with a 9 tomorrow go for it.

Something to do with horses... No, wait;
    " Best Corgi in Show", # 9.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Things that are nothing like North Korea.

So if any country had day(s) of mourning, does it automatically make it North Korea? Or are we so cool at not giving a sh1t it makes us better than them? So that makes us better than; Italy, South Africa, India, Mexico, Japan...etc etc
    No one is forcing you to listen to uk radio either.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lengon

Things that are nothing like North Korea.

So if any country had day(s) of mourning, does it automatically make it North Korea? Or are we so cool at not giving a sh1t it makes us better than them? So that makes us better than; Italy, South Africa, India, Mexico, Japan...etc etc
    No one is forcing you to listen to uk radio either.

Agree with every word. Some of the comments made are not funny, they're not clever, they're just sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Listening to BBC Radio 2 this morning, and I can confirm it is very solemn, respectful, and quite moving.

See this is what I actually wanted to avoid. I’m not interested in the politics, royalist side of things hence why I posted in a RADIO forum to talk about what uk radio stations were doing.

But yeh cheers, for your insightful opinion!! 🙄

• Advertisement

Radio 2 back to normal tomorrow.
    I notice Radio 2 have a playlist of 150 mellow songs they are playing since the news broke. No doubt this playlist would have been chosen months/years ago as part of the royal Obit protocol.

lengon wrote: »
    Agree with every word. Some of the comments made are not funny, they're not clever, they're just sick.

The comments sections are always a cesspit.

I don't know what is funny about lining up to dance and/or spit on someone's grave, no matter how much I might have disagreed with them in life. Death comes to us all.

The comments sections are always a cesspit.

I don't know what is funny about lining up to dance and/or spit on someone's grave, no matter how much I might have disagreed with them in life. Death comes to us all.

I always make sure I spit or jig next to said graves.

Listening to BBC Radio 2 this morning, and I can confirm it is very solemn, respectful, and quite moving.

Michael Ball show was filled with people's texts and expressions of sympathy and sadness, and how it reflected their experience with death during COVID. I noticed that links were spoken only and not with an energetic bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,256 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I really think the UK TV and radio media are thinking "Elizabeth is going to die soon, so let's test the tone of our broadcasting around the death of her husband so we can have a better idea of what's going to work with the public when HRM dies."
    AKA this is a dry run for the death of the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 lengon

Kaybaykwah wrote: »

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

lengon wrote: »
    Pathetic.

no just a sarcastic post.
    honestly, why irish people are so offended on behalf of a foreign institution is beyond me.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

no just a sarcastic post.
    honestly, why irish people are so offended on behalf of a foreign institution is beyond me.
    Off topic but do you think the kids get a double-tax-break on their inheritance? Given that they'll be inheriting from their dad who is also their third cousin?

Kaybaykwah wrote: »

Wow honestly i think you have missed your calling in stand up comedy. What a zinger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,175 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Off topic but do you think the kids get a double-tax-break on their inheritance? Given that they'll be inheriting from their dad who is also their third cousin?

i wouldn't have a clue tbh.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Just scrolling through UK radio channels, it seems they have finally returned to normal, and probably will do until the big parade.

• Advertisement

So if any country had day(s) of mourning, does it automatically make it North Korea?

No.

But in the UK there is increasing isolationism, jingoism, fear/hatred of anything "foreign" and veneration of their "dear leaders"

It is not a normal country any more.

And (on-topic) the once-proud BBC is scared absolutely sh*tless of what the Tory party is going to do to it if they don't fawn over the government sufficiently.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Just scrolling through UK radio channels, it seems they have finally returned to normal, and probably will do until the big parade.

I guess it's a tough one for them to judge. He was prominent, yet not prominent at the same time, was not hugely visible, and not particularly popular.

Hmm wasn't aware feelings ran particularly high on this question — just has to delete some abuse towards another member and issue a warning.

While this is not a political forum, it is inevitable and normal that topical affairs would be discussed in the Radio Forum in a collateral way.

That can only be continued, within limits, as long as it remains amicable.

It hasn't, in this case, so this thread is now strictly limited to current radio scheduling on UK radio channels. Thanks.

Advertisement