Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AI on sucklers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Bought two saler weanlings one time. They were mad, managed to quiten them a bit by keeping them with bucket reared cattle & breaking ash leaves to feed to them. They would walk anywhere behind me once they seen no one else. Sold them in the Mart at 760kgs and they weren't anywhere near fit to kill. Had a few more bucket fed ones over the years, grow into very big cattle but hard to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Bought two saler weanlings one time. They were mad, managed to quiten them a bit by keeping them with bucket reared cattle & breaking ash leaves to feed to them. They would walk anywhere behind me once they seen no one else. Sold them in the Mart at 760kgs and they weren't anywhere near fit to kill. Had a few more bucket fed ones over the years, grow into very big cattle but hard to finish.

Its funny I had 2 bullocks the exact same they would walk behind me no problem to move they'd follow the bucket of nuts but if anyone else tried to do anything or they even seen anyone else forget it, that was the problem testing. And the same as that impossible to put flesh on they only grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Dunedin

k mac wrote: »
    Its funny I had 2 bullocks the exact same they would walk behind me no problem to move they'd follow the bucket of nuts but if anyone else tried to do anything or they even seen anyone else forget it, that was the problem testing. And the same as that impossible to put flesh on they only grew up.

Never had salers so no experience but why would anyone even contemplate them if they’re that bad????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,898 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Dunedin wrote: »
    Never had salers so no experience but why would anyone even contemplate them if they’re that bad????

From my experience there very headstrong and if they don't want to do something it's very hard to force them, much like a Limousine imo. I wouldn't think there's many more wild Saler's than any other breed just that a wild Saler tends to leave even a wild LM looking like a pet lamb. With both LM and SA in my experience you'll have more success walking ahead of them with a bucket as opposed to going behind them with a stick. You lead and hopefully they'll follow as opposed to vice versa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭minerleague

Dunedin wrote: »

Have a few cows here with saler breeding ( great cows to calve, good udders and teats with enough milk without too much iykwim, ) I find they're pure pets for me on my own but very flighty if they see stranger. Not wild in the sense you'd be afraid of them but your gates and walls would want to be a good height

Advertisement