Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any uses for a disused sand quarry?

Options
  • 06-04-2021 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭

I see 15 acres of a disused quarry up for sale. Being sold as agricultural land, but obviously needs fairly significant regrading to render it useful for farming.

It's up for abut €5k/acre so around half the going rate for nearby farmland. To be honest, I dont think it's be worthwhile trying to re-grade or farm it properly, but maybe there are some other uses people could think of? There's about 100m of road frontage.

- Solar Panels?
    - Forestry?
    - Try for a couple of sites on the road?

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

onrail wrote: »
    I see 15 acres of a disused quarry up for sale. Being sold as agricultural land, but obviously needs fairly significant regrading to render it useful for farming.

It's up for abut €5k/acre so around half the going rate for nearby farmland. To be honest, I dont think it's be worthwhile trying to re-grade or farm it properly, but maybe there are some other uses people could think of? There's about 100m of road frontage.

- Solar Panels?
    - Forestry?

Any other ideas?

Fishing lake?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Surely its down to location and if there was prior planning for quarrying

i cant see it being worth €5k an acre if no licence , as the costs associated to reinstate the property is incredible .

You would be lucky to give it away

- Solar Panels?
    - Forestry?

Any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Reggie. wrote: »
    Fishing lake?

Nah, It's sand and well elevated, so won't be holding much water!

You would be lucky to give it away

Thinking along the same lines myself, if there was liability attached to the sale to reinstate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Golf links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Might be suitable for outwintering cattle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭148multi

Is all the sand excavated

There is an abandoned large pit near me. I thought it might be possible to either break through it and create another more direct route to two rural roads or perhaps establish a lane on which sites could be sold which would be many times more sites than the road frontage on the plot.

There are a large number of abandoned sandpits around where I come from and I wonder when are the Aggregate Companies ever forced to return them to agricultural land or improve the sites rather than leaving them like the cratered surface of the moon.

The lorries without exageration destroy the roads, they leave the pits abandoned and just move on elsewhere.

148multi wrote: »
    Is all the sand excavated

Must be if the owner is getting rid for that price!

Did they even do the courtesy of leaving a soil mound somewhere in the pit.
    Sand has zero nutritional value. You might be able to call it fibre.
    Agricultural land is expensive because it has life-sustaining qualities. A sand pit sustains nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Depends where you are and acsess to it. probably you could rent it out to boy racers that want to race around it on a Saturday night, if you could get a permit for builders to dump builders rubble you get so much a load, clay pigeon shooting, you could put storage containers in it for storage but of course all these would be subject to planning and insurance and all the bull you have to go through to make a few pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Its a pity with some of these pits that the owner did not put it in writing that the soil be put back on the ground the place can be farmed again, they look terrible site on the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Fred Daly wrote: »
    Its a pity with some of these pits that the owner did not put it in writing that the soil be put back on the ground the place can be farmed again, they look terrible site on the countryside.

I see that done around here but they'll never be right, During the road construction here Ascon rented a field beside me for storing clay during road construction, thousands of 70 ton dump trucks went in in the worst of weather..... that was 15 years ago and the field isn't right yet

wrangler wrote: »
    I see that done around here but they'll never be right, During the road construction here Ascon rented a field beside me for storing clay during road construction, thousands of 70 ton dump trucks went in in the worst of weather..... that was 15 years ago and the field isn't right yet

If it was put in worst of weather with that weight traveling on it you can see why it never came back right , i know it does not fully recover but given a chance you will get a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Dunno - many now act as refuges for alot of wildlife that has disappeared from intensive farmland. The ones around my parents place near Naas look great in the summer as they are covered in all types of orchids and other flowers which support an impressive array of pollinators etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

How far away from a city or town are you ?? Basically if you're in the middle of nowhere then there's probably not much demand- the nearer you are to a bigger urban centre the more likely so done will want it..
    But depends on the condition and conditions attached ..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kk.man

Might be suitable for outwintering cattle.

Alot around here was used for that. It was free draining and had the shelter of mounds. Just drop in a round bale of silage in the circular feeder, job done. I would have given my right arm for one back in the day, probably not allowed now.

- Solar Panels?
    - Forestry?

Any other ideas?

Can you get permission for a tip, soil or rubble.
    I see loads being brought from Dublin to roscommon and mayo, it would appear that there is a shortage of tips.

I see loads being brought from Dublin to roscommon and mayo, it would appear that there is a shortage of tips.

Good question. I can only imagine that the cost of planning permission, environmental permitting etc for it would be huge.

Is there such thing as a landfill for soil and construction rubble only?

• Registered Users Posts: 67,106 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Think big. :) This was built in a disused quarry in Cornwall. The Eden Project. Amazing place.

https://www.edenproject.com/

e2006761f8becb1f9a1f657c9ff00b71a9fb1e33.jpg

• Advertisement

You have to apply for a permit to the local council .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭memorystick

It might make a perfect halting site with designated allotments and infrastructure. A lad could rent it out to travellers if properly managed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If it was put in worst of weather with that weight traveling on it you can see why it never came back right , i know it does not fully recover but given a chance you will get a good job.

It's not my land, it's land beside me. I was pressured alright to allow them in but I knew what it'd do to the structure of the land. As you say the land is recovering all the time, it has even stopped growing rushes at this stage. Nature is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Track9

Perhaps consider an area for Tractor & Trailer & Jeep & Trailer Driving instruction.
    Practice areas for them etc.

Good question. I can only imagine that the cost of planning permission, environmental permitting etc for it would be huge.

Is there such thing as a landfill for soil and construction rubble only?

If you take a small bite of the apple at a time its easier, a mound around the perimeter to stop discharge of soil particals into the water. You would need to talk it over with a planner, stick to a certain number of cubes, then go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭youllbemine

If you take a small bite of the apple at a time its easier, a mound around the perimeter to stop discharge of soil particals into the water. You would need to talk it over with a planner, stick to a certain number of cubes, then go again.

As posted already, you'd end up spending a fortune to get it through planning, consultation process with neighbours never mind environmental groups etc. Might make you money in the long run but youd want to have deep pockets when starting out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If there were lots of different levels etc, then perhaps you could think about an "Off road/4x4 course" or clay pigeon shooting ground. Or some combination of the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭youllbemine

Mountain biking is kicking off in Ireland in a big way the past 12 months. I think just here to stay. The GAP in Glencullen, Dublin mountains have a great business going. If there is a good elevation you could do something along those lines. As with everything insurance will be a kick between the legs and planning too.... but think of the endless smiles!

Example below...

https://youtu.be/FbVR2WDrWno

Jayses I may get the Bank Manager on the phone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Is there not a mountain bike track down near cloughjordan closed up ?

Mountain biking is kicking off in Ireland in a big way the past 12 months. I think just here to stay. The GAP in Glencullen, Dublin mountains have a great business going. If there is a good elevation you could do something along those lines. As with everything insurance will be a kick between the legs and planning too.... but think of the endless smiles!

Example below...

https://youtu.be/FbVR2WDrWno

Advertisement