Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Richard Johnson Retires

• 03-04-2021 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭

I feel this deserves its own thread.

I'm delighted Johnson got to enjoy a few years between McCoy retiring and his own retirement.

Don't think I've been happier to back a winner than when he won the Gold Cup on Native River because the guy just deserved a moment like that at Cheltenham, and it was well overdue.

I hope he remains in the game somehow. Well done Dickie for a fantastic career.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Gentleman and great ambassador for the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

A marvellous professional, hardly ever the centre of controversy or bad behaviour, and I too rejoiced when he won the GC on Native River. A great man to get a horse into a rhythm, especially in front. I wish him all the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Always remember getting to see him in the flesh when he got a 12 year ol Florida Pearl up in the Irish Gold Cup.

Not really that surprised to see him call time on his career. He's a long way of the Champion Jockey title and as good as he was, the likes of Harry Skelton have been better in the last two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Surprised he's not waiting until the end of the season to retire but he probably feels the time is right. Very good jockey and as others have said it was great to see him as champion jockey in the years after McCoy retired after chasing him for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Milanative

Always remember getting to see him in the flesh when he got a 12 year ol Florida Pearl up in the Irish Gold Cup.

Not really that surprised to see him call time on his career. He's a long way of the Champion Jockey title and as good as he was, the likes of Harry Skelton have been better in the last two years.
    Harry skelton a more useless Jockey you'd not find

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,783 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Milanative wrote: »
    Harry skelton a more useless Jockey you'd not find
    Don't know how you can say this. While Skelton has the backing of a really good stable, he's delivering on merit too. Just look at his strike rate, 20%+ over the last five years, bad jockey's don't get that sort of number. I also noticed Olly Murphy has been using him instead of Johnson recently, which says an awful lot how highly he's regarded. For me, Harry's the best British jockey going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭lemush

Don't know how you can say this. While Skelton has the backing of a really good stable, he's delivering on merit too. Just look at his strike rate, 20%+ over the last five years, bad jockey's don't get that sort of number. I also noticed Olly Murphy has been using him instead of Johnson recently, which says an awful lot how highly he's regarded. For me, Harry's the best British jockey going now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

lemush wrote: »

Mod Note

Keep it civil please Lemush

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

definitely underrated as a jockey and seemed like a gentleman to boot.

Over 10 years before my time but his ride on Anzum in the Stayers in 1999 is one of my favourites

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Flat track bully. Has shown himself up as an embarrassment on the big stage.

The GB jockey title should be the titled 'the highest mileage championship'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Shaney Boy

definitely underrated as a jockey and seemed like a gentleman to boot.

Over 10 years before my time but his ride on Anzum in the Stayers in 1999 is one of my favourites

It was a super ride on a 40/1 shot to boot.

Advertisement