Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why can government consistently underfund hospitals?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

We always talk about the creation of the HSE and condensing the regions as the reason for the over staffing as regards admin but that was 16 years ago, surely there has to be a number of people that have retired or moved on bringing this over staffing down? Or is it a case that new people were also then hired to fill these pointless roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭Good loser

RobAMerc wrote: »
    I worked in the HSE for a number of years - I can tell you it is populated by the most inept clowns I have ever come across in 25years of my career. Some of the ineptitude and tail chasing is sickening.

Secondly, there is a deference to "consultants" like they are gods, meaning they are given undue reverence when answering questions they are not equipped to answer ( and medical consultants have the ego to always think they have the answer ) - the same people also have 0 interest in fixing the system as they are best positioned to benefit from the current quagmire

3rd - literally 0 people in the HSE are there to look after the publics health, EVERYONE there are only interested in the publics health if it helps further an agenda that suits them ( normally their own status or power ). Status also can mean number of staff - which means duplication of positions and a tolerance for people doing absolutely 0 as long as they are a bum on a seat.

The HSE is simply a layer of management smeared across a number of disparate specialties and services run as fifedoms and which are totally independent ( bar funding from HSE ) and despise the HSE's very existence. This means each service goes away and does its own thing independently of the greater good of the HSE - for example, they buy their own IT systems which often are capable but extremely expensive to integrate with other specialties IT systems. ( not entirely true, but clever companies take advantage )

Another issue is there is a legacy of strong groups of vested interests, employee unions, hospital groups, GP groups, religious orders etc that make getting anything done difficult, even for a competent management team - which the HSE dont have.

clustefluck

Interesting and rings true.
    So how do you feel about the future projections for the HSE as outlined in the Sláinte Care proposals?
    Is it effectively importing the NHS system into this jurisdiction?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,110 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Good loser wrote: »
    So how do you feel about the future projections for the HSE as outlined in the Sláinte Care proposals?

Slaintecare will make the HSE more like the NHS, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Basically the private medical sector leech off the public system and make a lot of money

Slaintecare plans to "disentangle" public and private care, by removing the private activity from public hosps.

I used to think that the NHS was purely public, but now I read that there is some private activity in NHS hosps in the UK.

Actually, I read now that:

"Since the Health and Social Care Act was passed in 2012, NHS hospitals have been allowed to generate up to 49% of their income
    from private activity"

So the NHS is becoming more like the HSE!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

https://www.echolive.ie/sponsored/arid-40253432.html

Why does CUH have to put out a public appeal and get charity donations so it can take care of elderly patients with dementia and delirium?

Surely that's what our bloated HSE should be funding?

Meanwhile ten more private hospitals have appeared in Cork in recent years while the public health service is in shlt. You'd swear there was an agenda to get people to rely solely on the private health sector.

Why pay taxes (or even health insurance) at all when everyone except the ultra rich can expect extremely poor value for money no matter what service they opt to use?

Not a problem that impacts those in government, granted, but the rest of us plebs are all affected by this and there are way more of us than there are of them. This all seems very very wrong to me. Something something children's hospital.

ince the foundation of the state Irish governments have always abdicated from its responsibilities to the population. This can be seen in eduction. Health care, housing, defence, etc. The church ran and still does to an extent the education system and for years the hospitals. Now the church did a lot of reprehensible things but the state allowed them too.

Housing: for years this was always pushed onto the private sector and now we are we’re we are.
    Defence: Ireland has no real capacity to defend itself from threats no air defence capabilities instead we rely on the RAF.

Everything is farmed out to the private sector and those firms take the country for every last quid.
    If people actually didn’t vote for the same stuffed shirts things may change but until the gombeanism is overcome things won’t change

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Smee_Again wrote: »
    They’re not underfunded, the system is poorly managed.
    Well yes and no.

When you compare us to gold-standard countries for medical care, our per-capita public health spending is lower. In the EU area we're about average, but that just puts us above poorer countries and behind comparably wealthy countries.

In terms of health spending as a % of GDP we're quite far behind.

We are using our resources very inefficiently. But we're also not spending enough.

The problem is that those who are most affected by issues in the public system are those with the least power to do anything about it.

All of the people who make the decisions about health spending and the people who have their ear, can all rely on private healthcare. So there is no incentive to make it better.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The State tried to take over healthcare from the church and were stopped, its only very slowly been released. They are still stopping any real moves to take over education.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

L1011 wrote: »
    The State tried to take over healthcare from the church and were stopped, its only very slowly been released. They are still stopping any real moves to take over education.

When they say stopped...
    How did Hugo Chavez overnight take control of the countries oil industry. He just did it.

That’s a bad example but when the state wants to do something in a hurry it’s done remember the bank bailout. The problem here is spineless politicians.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

When they say stopped...
    How did Hugo Chavez overnight take control of the countries oil industry. He just did it.

That’s a bad example but when the state wants to do something in a hurry it’s done remember the bank bailout. The problem here is spineless politicians.

Being decried by the bishops was sufficient to ensure you weren't re-elected back then (outside of a few city seats); hence pushing ahead was not an option.

• Advertisement

And then when you try to even make an appointment with a doctor who is oversubscribbed with medical card patients you can't even get an appointment for a week plus. Last time I wanted to make an appointment I had to ring near 10 practices to make an appointment, what I found most frightening is not a single one of them actually asked me what was wrong with me, shocking.

Medical card patient here. Still have to wait over a week for an appointment with GP.

Don't have the luxury of choice either, ringing around ten different practices for an appointment is not an option on GMS scheme.

seamus wrote: »
    Well yes and no.

When you compare us to gold-standard countries for medical care, our per-capita public health spending is lower. In the EU area we're about average, but that just puts us above poorer countries and behind comparably wealthy countries.

In terms of health spending as a % of GDP we're quite far behind.

We are using our resources very inefficiently. But we're also not spending enough.

We overspend on healthcare, relative to the age profile of our population.

We spend too much, as the prices are too high.

Our high spending does not deliver high volumes.

https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/ireland-country-health-profile-2019_2393fd0a-en#page9

Seamus Coffey UCC has a nice series of charts on this topic:

https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1376932341751418889

L1011 wrote: »

Surely the State runs the healthcare system substantially and has for many years.

Geuze wrote: »
    We overspend on healthcare, relative to the age profile of our population.

We spend too much, as the prices are too high.

Our high spending does not deliver high volumes.

https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/social-issues-migration-health/ireland-country-health-profile-2019_2393fd0a-en#page9

Seamus Coffey UCC has a nice series of charts on this topic:

https://twitter.com/seamuscoffey/status/1376932341751418889

~45% of the population also has private insurance. More money.

Slaintecare plans to "disentangle" public and private care, by removing the private activity from public hosps.

I used to think that the NHS was purely public, but now I read that there is some private activity in NHS hosps in the UK.

Actually, I read now that:

"Since the Health and Social Care Act was passed in 2012, NHS hospitals have been allowed to generate up to 49% of their income
    from private activity"

So the NHS is becoming more like the HSE!!

So, in your opinion, which way do you think this country should go.

Perhaps in hospitals all the routine surgery should be left to the private sector and the complicated stuff to the public sector.

It's nonsensical that there should be a 3 year waiting list for cataracts in the public system and none in the private.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

Hi all,
    I wondering if anyone can access the current levels of absenteeism amongst the Irish health system. Seeing as how they've being vaccinated I'd be hoping they were full steam ahead now.
    I had a look online but couldn't find much.
    I was a bit concerned last week when I heard doctors on the radio express concerns about a 4th wave, that it might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. surely they are getting on top of things now?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,739 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hi all,
    I wondering if anyone can access the current levels of absenteeism amongst the Irish health system. Seeing as how they've being vaccinated I'd be hoping they were full steam ahead now.
    I had a look online but couldn't find much.
    I was a bit concerned last week when I heard doctors on the radio express concerns about a 4th wave, that it might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. surely they are getting on top of things now?

Its not about absenteeism in the case of a 4th wave its about our system still not having enough beds and capacity if things get out of control again as they did in January and February.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

The bottom line is that any serious reform of the HSE, in order to turn it into a more efficient organisation, would involve a lot of redundancies at the administrative level. That appears to be an impossibility (not sure if that's from a legal point of view or purely a political one). Taking that off the table makes an already difficult situation practically impossible.

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The bottom line is that any serious reform of the HSE, in order to turn it into a more efficient organisation, would involve a lot of redundancies at the administrative level. That appears to be an impossibility (not sure if that's from a legal point of view or purely a political one). Taking that off the table makes an already difficult situation practically impossible.

IMO it would take a single party government on a rock solid footing to tackle this one properly. We aren't likely to see any real changes so long as we have these coalitions held together by a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭KaneToad

When it comes to 'insiders' being pinned down on what's wrong with the HSE i.e. why is it so expensive and still people are unhappy with the service the answer is 'vested interests'. Nobody seems willing to specify in detail what these are.

More than once I've heard that cataract surgeon (Ml O'Keefe?) say that he worked/works in private and public health and that in the private sector he can get twice as much work done in half the time. If true that means private sector productivity is four times greater.

The problem is these surgeons working privately & publically in the same facility.

• Advertisement

KaneToad wrote: »
    The problem is these surgeons working privately & publically in the same facility.

He doesn't do that.

Apparently he retired (on age grounds?)from the public system and now works privately. The rigidity of the shift system might have been a factor.

Some years ago my niece worked in the Bons and CUH in Cork. Procedures regularly carried out by nurses in the Bons were a no-no in CUH (demarcation).

See post 27 above.

Can you please clarify what you mean by demarcation?

PS unionised nurses refusing to do tasks?

• Administrators Posts: 53,439 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

KaneToad wrote: »

I've always wondered about this.

Is the reason this is allowed that they believe if they force medical professionals to pick public or private that too many would just pick private since that's where the major earnings are?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,248 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The problem is at more than an administrative level.

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.MED.NUMW.P3?end=2018&start=1990&view=chart

Only Belgium, Iceland, Switzerland, Norway and Monaco have more nurses per capita than Ireland.

We have a relatively young population, why do we need so many nurses and what are they doing?

It is even worse if you consider number of nurses per hospital bed, which should put us at the highest in the world. Why are fewer nurses per hospital bed needed in every other country?

Surely the State runs the healthcare system substantially and has for many years.

Substantially (but not entirely), yes. Many years - less so.

Plenty of hospitals are still run by a 'board' intermediary rather than the HSE including most of the ones in Dublin.

Attempts to get hospitals under control of the old Health Board system were opposed every step of the way by the Church - or arguably Churches, cause there were COI groups running hospitals too.

It was only the mergers of small hospitals in Dublin that removed direct RC control from most of them. The HSE has bought out a few of the regional RC hospitals - Drogheda and Clonmel come to mind; and the formation of the Hospital Groups means day to day control of the remaining RC (or otherwise indirectly owned like Beaumont) is now with the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

awec wrote: »
    I've always wondered about this.

Is the reason this is allowed that they believe if they force medical professionals to pick public or private that too many would just pick private since that's where the major earnings are?

It's fashionable in political circles to whinge about the 'two tier' system but there are benefits on both sides when consultants can do a mix of public and private work.

For the consultant, the public job which occupies part of the working week gives them a steady income with a pension. And a lot of them get to deal with people who came in via A&E, which means they get a more varied workload and experience than if they were exclusively doing elective procedures in a private clinic.

For the public hospital, letting the consultant do some private work means they hang on to some people who would otherwise abandon the public system. And medical insurance companies can be sent hefty bills for the beds occupied by their private patients.

While there are a lot of dedicated and excellent consultants who are prepared to work exclusively in the public system, forcing all consultants to elect for public or private with no overlap would result in public hospitals losing skills some of them could ill afford to lose. Then you really would have a two tier system.

Can you please clarify what you mean by demarcation?

PS unionised nurses refusing to do tasks?

Yes. I'm a bit hazy about details as it's some years back.

I kind of remember there were 3 or 4 simple procedures union rules wouldn't let nurses carry out. Then a negotiation allowed the actions. And two years later they were still not being done. Maybe putting in cathaters for the first time, preparing injections/charging?

Stuff like that was big in the NHS too, I believe, and with the covid crisis a lot of these were set aside. More than once in the media I heard people remark that they 'hoped' when the crisis passed there would not be a return to the 'old ways'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,354 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I kind of remember there were 3 or 4 simple procedures union rules wouldn't let nurses carry out. Then a negotiation allowed the actions. And two years later they were still not being done. Maybe putting in cathaters for the first time, preparing injections/charging?

‘Flexible work practices’ is a carrot the unions dangle during every public service pay negotiations. The state inevitably falls for it but nothing ever changes. It was included in the course of the last two ‘benchmarking’ scams but never delivered. Why kill the goose that lays the golden eggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,243 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    This. I'm pretty sure our health budget per capita is the highest in the EU, or certainly there abouts. HSE needs major overhaul.

The HSE funding includes all the social work, elderly care and disability services that are funded through the HSE that are not usually included in a national healthcare budget, in the UK for example social care is funded through local authorities

HSE funding is bloated but politically it allows the government to hide behind announcing big increases in HSE funding because it can neutralise a lot of interest groups who do not have a lot of voting power but do have lobbying power

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

coylemj wrote: »
    It's fashionable in political circles to whinge about the 'two tier' system but there are benefits on both sides when consultants can do a mix of public and private work.

For the consultant, the public job which occupies part of the working week gives them a steady income with a pension. And a lot of them get to deal with people who came in via A&E, which means they get a more varied workload and experience than if they were exclusively doing elective procedures in a private clinic.

For the public hospital, letting the consultant do some private work means they hang on to some people who would otherwise abandon the public system. And medical insurance companies can be sent hefty bills for the beds occupied by their private patients.

While there are a lot of dedicated and excellent consultants who are prepared to work exclusively in the public system, forcing all consultants to elect for public or private with no overlap would result in public hospitals losing skills some of them could ill afford to lose. Then you really would have a two tier system.

There is absolutely no benefit for the public system in the two tier system in place for the past 50 years

Advertisement