Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my Fridge Freezer finished?

Options
  • 27-03-2021 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Is my fridge freezer finished?

How long would you expect a fridge freezer to last? Have mine for 9 years now and i think its packed it in, no noise at all, not even the slightest hum and food defrosting in freezer section. Tried the on/off trick which usually sorted it, as this has been happening every couple of months for a year now, but no luck, cam eon for a few minutes and i noticed side of ridge was quite warm but then it stopped again

One thing i noticed recently that water was building up on the bottom shelf of the fridge part and had to be dried every few weeks spo dont know if this was indicative of a fault maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Depending on how competent you are unplug the fridge remove the thermostat and take a photo of where the wires are attached. You will have connections 6,4, and 3.remove 6 and 4 and join them together and tape them up. When you plug it back in and if it runs then you need a new thermostat. To save the food from defrosting you could leave it connected like this until you get a stat but it will run continuous.. the water clogging is from the drain hole having an obstruction

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Depending on how competent you are unplug the fridge remove the thermostat and take a photo of where the wires are attached. You will have connections 6,4, and 3.remove 6 and 4 and join them together and tape them up. When you plug it back in and if it runs then you need a new thermostat. To save the food from defrosting you could leave it connected like this until you get a stat but it will run continuous.. the water clogging is from the drain hole having an obstruction

Thanks but not competent in this department at all

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭POBox19

Rockfish wrote: »
    Is my fridge freezer finished?

Probably.
    If the light is not coming on try changing the fuse in the plug. Mine blew the fuse and replacing it sorted the problem for a while.
    In the end the old machine was using so much power that a new one was going to pay for itself within 18 months on electricity savings alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

POBox19 wrote: »
    Probably.
    If the light is not coming on try changing the fuse in the plug. Mine blew the fuse and replacing it sorted the problem for a while.
    In the end the old machine was using so much power that a new one was going to pay for itself within 18 months on electricity savings alone.

Light is on, no issue there. Freezer seems to be sorted for now anyway. And most of the time i dont hear any humming any noise at all coming from the fridge, then it kicks in for a while, repeat etc :confused:

Advertisement