Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The end of the Ford Mondeo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭CoBo55

The current discovery is absolutely hideous, an suv styled like a bus, and the new defender is the ultimate Chelsea tractor.

That may well be so but when not broken down would actually manage to pull a trailer bigger than a matchbox. The other yokes are just toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

AMKC wrote: »
    Looks like it might not be coming to Europe now either.

I think Fords biggest problem was image. Unfortunatly Fird just do not have much of an image. In fact I would say Kia and Hyundai have a better image than Ford now. A pity as while Ford did make some turns like the Escourt and MK3 Mondeo both absolutely terrible cars they made some great cars like the Focus, C-Max, S-Max and even the B-Max was brilliant.
    I am surprised the Mondeo got this far. It really should have been axed when they made the MK3.
    Still it had a longer life than the poor Renault Laguna but then Renault brought that on themselves by rushing the Mk 2 Laguna to market without proper quality tests and that doomed the Laguna unfortunatly.

I’ll admit I’m not crazy about Fords, but I think the biggest problem is that Ford seem to be oblivious to what makes a car interior feel special or even ergonomically good.
    Small things like how switches work, the beeps when you leave keys in or lights on, fonts, it’s like they don’t care about how people interact with the car.
    That’s just my own biased view.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

From sporty looking Puma to a suv/crossover dog ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭CoBo55

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I’ll admit I’m not crazy about Fords, but I think the biggest problem is that Ford seem to be oblivious to what makes a car interior feel special or even ergonomically good.

Been like that since the Consul Cortina, a reclining seat was a big deal:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

FrankC21 wrote: »

Have to say I hated the new Puma when I saw them in the press- but they’ve really grown on me big time. Think they look class in ST line with a lovely range of colours. Ditto the Focus. Really like them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,398 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Does it mean, mondeo price will go down?

https://www.carsireland.ie/2771707

Good question.

Furthermore, will non-exec saloons hold their value over the next 5-6 years as the market leaves them behind or will there be enough die hards out there looking for a good one?

As others have said I know a few older clients who swear they wouldn't be seen dead in a "mini jeep".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The missus took one out last Autumn, really nice motor to drive, great level of standard kit.

And I'd normally agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ah stop.

The Mk IV Mondeo (07-) was a very good looking car, especially in saloon body type, as big as an old Granada and distinctive. They lost the plot after that.

Bit like they have with the Focus, the current model is a rotten looking design.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Truth is, the Mondeo is crap compared to the Mazda 6, the Passat and most importantly the Superb.
    /QUOTE]

Is a Mazda 6 not just a Mondeo with a different body? Drove Both a passet and a Mondeo. Mondeo was a much better and more confortable drive than the Passet. Mondeo was totally reliable tool. I

• Advertisement

The current gen Mazda 6 has no relationship to Ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I think crossover/SUV buyers have lower standards,
    i.e. they will tolerate shortcomings that wouldn’t be as easily forgiven in hatches and saloons.
    The likes of the Golf was the pinnacle of everything for a long time, the interior was the benchmark that its rivals just couldn’t reach.
    Then the likes of the Qashqai came along and none of that stuff mattered anymore.
    Maybe the crossover thing was a big reset on traditional values, but the likes of Kia and Hyundai who couldn’t do a great mid range saloon to save their lives, are killing it in the crossover market.
    The Nissan pulsar is generally derided, but it’s Qashqai sister is hugely popular.

That’s why I think Ford is getting out of the difficult models (which other manufacturers continue to do well in, see Skoda and VW for examples) where an average effort is a failure, and getting more into crossovers where any old toss will do.

Very well said. There is a complete mismatch and people are willing to pay silly money for high cars with cheap interiors.
    I always believed that for any given budget, you are going down a class in terms of quality if going to an suv.
    I see this dilemma now also with my parents - a higher car will suit them now due to age but coming out of a passat, they have to look at stuff like ford puma which appears to be mostly focus internally at passat money.
    Other than that, its kia / hyundai. The likes of tiguan is silly money if you want it looking anyway decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

ive a mondeo 2013, so the model from 2007-2014

good looking car and loads of space. but felt it very cheaply made, engine was fine but problems with the car fob, the stereo and countless others.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Iodine1 wrote: »
    Is a Mazda 6 not just a Mondeo with a different body? Drove Both a passet and a Mondeo. Mondeo was a much better and more confortable drive than the Passet. Mondeo was totally reliable tool. I

The Mazda 6 and Ford Mondeo never shared platforms. Some generations shared certain engines alright but the platforms were always independent of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,147 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mickdw wrote: »
    Very well said. There is a complete mismatch and people are willing to pay silly money for high cars with cheap interiors.
    I always believed that for any given budget, you are going down a class in terms of quality if going to an suv.
    I see this dilemma now also with my parents - a higher car will suit them now due to age but coming out of a passat, they have to look at stuff like ford puma which appears to be mostly focus internally at passat money.
    Other than that, its kia / hyundai. The likes of tiguan is silly money if you want it looking anyway decent.

Ford Puma is based on the Fiesta rather than the Focus. The Kuga is based on the Focus. Also cars in each segment have jumped in price in recent time. A Puma starts at around 26k whereas a Passat starts at 36k these days. The only newly launched model that seems to be coming in at a half reasonable price now is the ID.4 SUV which starts @ just over 36k. Of course being an EV it's not going to suit everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The Mk IV Mondeo (07-) was a very good looking car, especially in saloon body type, as big as an old Granada and distinctive. They lost the plot after that.

Bit like they have with the Focus, the current model is a rotten looking design.

I disagree. I think the current Focus while no where near as radical a the MK1 is a classy looking car. Take the badges off and I would say most people would think it Is a BMW. I am however not gone on the latest Ford interior designs very dull.

The Mk IV Mondeo was indeed a good looking car and its replacement the Mk V too but the interiors could be a lot better. I think Ford have also suffered from a lack of quality with there Mondeo and it has damaged its sales the same way the MK 2 Laguna damaged the Lagunas sales even when the MK 3 was far superior and much better built the damage was unfortunatly done

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I’m a big fan to of the latest Focus. Really like the ST line in a nice colour. It’s improved massively on the previous generation interior quality which was a big Achilles heel. An ex work colleague has an estate and tbh it’s as big now as older Mondeos were. There’s a good reason why it’s in the top 5 sellers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

mickdw wrote: »

Have you seen the price of the Honda crv? Ok, its nice inside but even a Honda dealer told me its way overpriced!
    Deffo the way with suv's for sure.
    I think they are starting to cop on with the interior quality, at least the likes of Hyundai and Kia have certainly upped their game there. Tho that probably wasnt hard. The latest Rav4 is miles ahead of the previous one interior wise, tho again thats not hard to achieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

I disagree. I think the current Focus while no where near as radical a the MK1 is a classy looking car. Take the badges off and I would say most people would think it Is a BMW. I am however not gone on the latest Ford interior designs very dull.

The Mk IV Mondeo was indeed a good looking car and its replacement the Mk V too but the interiors could be a lot better. I think Ford have also suffered from a lack of quality with there Mondeo and it has damaged its sales the same way the MK 2 Laguna damaged the Lagunas sales even when the MK 3 was far superior and much better built the damage was unfortunatly done

Will you stop using the word classy! :D
    And I'd never confuse the focus with a bmw, not a hope. The Focus Active I think it is isnt far up from a dacia interior.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

So much for me hoping that they'd re-launch the Granada.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I bought the 1st Top Gear magazine in October 1993 which featured the 1st Mondeo. It won some awards from what I remember and I was impressed with its styling. Sad to see it go with the saloon genre slowly dying out in general.

FORDContour-Mondeo-861_1.jpg

So much for me hoping that they'd re-launch the Granada.

Unless it’s an SUV or crossover- no chance! They might make a larger Kuga and do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,664 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I bought the 1st Top Gear magazine in October 1993 which featured the 1st Mondeo. It won some awards from what I remember and I was impressed with its styling. Sad to see it go with the saloon genre slowly dying out in general.

FORDContour-Mondeo-861_1.jpg

You mean the Ford Mundane.
    road_high wrote: »
    Unless it’s an SUV or crossover- no chance! They might make a larger Kuga and do that!
    I doubt it. The last one the Edge failed. I doubt they will try again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

You mean the Ford Mundane.

I doubt it. The last one the Edge failed. I doubt they will try again.

God that was horrifically poor marketing- priced at least €10-15 k above what it should have been. Wasn’t a bad car per say just no one was going to pay €55k plus for an average enough Ford. Lunacy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Ford got the marketing for the Mondeo right when they launched it but in reality it was merely catching up with the rest of the market, the Sierra was hopelessly outdated at the time. The Peugeot 405 was 6 years old when the Mondeo launched, consider that for a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Its cheap and nasty and utterly anonymous.

Hasnt stopped us buying Nissan Almera's, Pulsars, Tildas and Corollas by the truck load !
    I don't think its so much the end of the market, more that Ford haven't given enough attention to the model in this current generation
    If Ford havent given it attention its coz its a dying segment of the market. I bought a saloon as a daily myself ( classic ) and I quickly found I couldnt live with it. I invariably brought the family 7 seater because hatch backs are just much more practical and better suited to family life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

I wouldn't have considered that Mondeo a good looking motor. The proportions always looked off to me, especially around the back where it looked cumbersome, certainly not elegant. Big gawky headlights too which in fairness were for the most part in vogue across many manufacturers from the late 90's through the 00's.

Going against the grain here now and I know its subjective but I always considered the current Mondeo was a nice classy and elegant looking car, in particular in the right colour and spec. Refreshing to see a nicely spec'd one versus the usual BMW, Mercedes et al and arguably a more timeless design compared to the current OTT styling of Skoda's and certain VW's.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

I've had a 2006,2011 and 2015 Mondeo. The 2006 broke my heart when the fuel pump went and took injectors and turbo with it. The 2011 was for me a great car, but the 2015 I had was the dogs. Frozen white, half leather, skirts rear spoiler 18" multi spokes, dynamic led lights. Only got rid of it as I wasnt using it at all.
    Sad to see them go, thought the interior of the latest model was good, bar the touch screen which was a bit slow. If I was buying tomorrow I'd buy again, mostly been in fords all my life, love them

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

I've had a 2006,2011 and 2015 Mondeo. The 2006 broke my heart when the fuel pump went and took injectors and turbo with it. The 2011 was for me a great car, but the 2015 I had was the dogs. Frozen white, half leather, skirts rear spoiler 18" multi spokes, dynamic led lights. Only got rid of it as I wasnt using it at all.
    Sad to see them go, thought the interior of the latest model was good, bar the touch screen which was a bit slow. If I was buying tomorrow I'd buy again, mostly been in fords all my life, love them

And hatch back rear was so practical while still not an estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Had a mkiii 2.0 tdci hatchback, plenty of power, practical big boot and great to drive. Other than the bumpers being very flimsily attached the quality was fine for an everyday car.
    How replacing such cars with suv yokes with small boots, floaty handling and underpowered engines is progress is beyond me.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement