Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What navigation system do you use? Maps, Apps, GPS

Options
  • 19-03-2021 3:06am

What navigation system do you use? 23 votes

Map
    78% 18 votes
    App
    4% 1 vote
    GPS
    17% 4 votes
    Combination of above
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SantaClaw

I use a GPS for basically the reasons mentioned in the video, there is also one additional benefit, it works with all gloves. Nice to be able to just click the road block function, or check for the next gas station without having to remove the glove.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I use the KTM My ride app, nothing fancy no bells and whistles. But its integrated into the TFT on the bike so why not....works well and updates for maps all over Europe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

99% the time when I need navigation, I use Google Maps.
    I tried using Kurvinger last summer to plan a road trip as I wanted more bike friendly routes, but I didn't find it all that user friendly unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I removed my old BMW sat nav in favour of a phone mount and google maps, maybe newer sat navs are better now though. Not sure whether they're worth the money when a phone does the job 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Careful of phones mounted on the bars.

The vibrations can kill them, in particular the image stabilisation/camera.

Personally unless I'm outside Ireland, I don't bother with sat nav, sure it wouldn't be an adventure if you didn't get lost a few times :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

My new bike comes with a built in sat nav. It uses Google maps in the back end and gives you turn by turn directions on its own display beside the speedometer. I have no idea if its any good as I have not yet taken delivery of the bike.

https://youtu.be/kIkuHfk4rUM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I think the TomTom Vio was a fantastic product. It's basically a small screen on a mount and you send the info to it from your phone... It was really beginning to take off, but I presume it cannibalised sales of other devices and got cancelled very quickly.

Now that Google are preparing Android Auto for motorcycles, I hope something new will come out that's as simple as the Bio.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DFaPLgZDGda4&ved=2ahUKEwjlya3snsLvAhXHRxUIHZrmDLgQFjABegQIAhAC&usg=AOvVaw2YHYt9KDYpxC3R2d7xQUFE

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

I use a thing called a beeline its basically just an arrow on a small screen with a dot showing next turn . Good for meandering to a specific location. Works off your phone . Long battery life and can be transferred to other bikes or bicycles. Have a garmin motorbike sat nav but its a bit clunky to use unless following motorways. Had the ktm my ride and now my ducati but find the beeline yoke easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

using Bluetooth earbud with google maps... watching road signs while listening to directions

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭micknail

Defo just phone and google maps for me.
    Bluetooth link to the helmet too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Ratchet wrote: »
    using Bluetooth earbud with google maps... watching road signs while listening to directions

Just on the topic of bluetooth ear buds. I assume In -Ear buds?

I've been looking at the Sena 10 range of communication systems, though fancy and cool and all that, it's probably overkill for my needs. I'm not interested in on board rider to rider communication or taking phone calls.

I'm just looking to pick up either FM from my phone and/or the sat nav voice directions from the sat nav unit on my bike. Are in ear buds comfortable under a helmet and suitable for this purpose? If so what brand/model type would be more comfortable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

mjsc1970 wrote: »

I've been looking at the Sena 10 range of communication systems, though fancy and cool and all that, it's probably overkill for my needs. I'm not interested in on board rider to rider communication or taking phone calls.

I'm just looking to pick up either FM from my phone and/or the sat nav voice directions from the sat nav unit on my bike. Are in ear buds comfortable under a helmet and suitable for this purpose? If so what brand/model type would be more comfortable?

I have samsung ear buds and although there is a great sound and mic on them, they are sore and fiddly when you put the lid on, they're also expensive enough to worry about losing them on the road. Fot that reason I went back to cardo where you stick the speaker into the ear groove (?) of your lid.
    The Shure se215 has a lower profile, is bluetooth but connected to each by a wire and gets good reviews. If I didn't have the cardo I would probably investigate those further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I have the Garmin (BMW branded) sat nav that integrates into my bike. Its good but showing its age these days even though its the latest version. My TFT also does step by step directions. If I'm feeling particularly lost and I still can't find that Starbucks I clip my phone onto the handlebars and use Google Maps through my headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

colm_c wrote: »
    Personally unless I'm outside Ireland, I don't bother with sat nav, sure it wouldn't be an adventure if you didn't get lost a few times :-)
    Grand saying it now, but having to stop in the rain and take out a map or phone, the lining of your gloves coming off because water has gotten in, your finger is to cold and wet to unlock your phone, you just want to get to a b&b to get food and a pint but you're still an hour away from the place you booked and looks like you're going to miss the ferry which will add an hour to your journey, you're fuel light is about to go on and it's a sunday which means half the petrol stations are closed and your ass has developed into a weird flat shape and has gone completely numb. Fúck that, gps is essential!
    fatbast wrote: »
    I use a thing called a beeline its basically just an arrow on a small screen with a dot showing next turn . Good for meandering to a specific location. Works off your phone . Long battery life and can be transferred to other bikes or bicycles. Have a garmin motorbike sat nav but its a bit clunky to use unless following motorways. Had the ktm my ride and now my ducati but find the beeline yoke easier.

Just googled that, looks like a great idea.

To be honest I've one if those bmw branded garmin's too. I've had it in the box for a year and only using it recently and just trying to get to grips with it. I intend to get more use out of it later in summer. At the moment I've no bluetooth ear buds to connect to it so as to hear the directions from it. And without them I tend to focus on its screen longer than I should on the road.

Am toying with just finding a comfortable pair of buds for this set up. Then I was thinking, why not something that can connect to the phone as well for calls and music (on the off chance)

The sena 10s communication system seems to fit both these purposes at the same time (i.e. the garmin and the phone). I'm just trying to justify the price for all the little use it's going to get.

Either way a decent bluetooth in ear buds suitable for comfortable under helmet use is costly anyway and I'd be taking a chance online for their suitability.

SantaClaw wrote: »
    I use a GPS for basically the reasons mentioned in the video, there is also one additional benefit, it works with all gloves. Nice to be able to just click the road block function, or check for the next gas station without having to remove the glove.

What GPS do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

mjsc1970 wrote: »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QYWD718/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_R42XVS0ZGHC6VE88DNCH

Can recommend these Sony wireless headphones for under helmet. Low profile and comfortable under the lid. The buttons can easily be pressed with summer gloves on, a bit harder with the goretex winter gloves but still doable. Good sound and battery life too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have them, great headphones, I got them purely because they charge with USB c.

Vikings wrote: »
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07QYWD718/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glc_fabc_R42XVS0ZGHC6VE88DNCH

Can recommend these Sony wireless headphones for under helmet. Low profile and comfortable under the lid. The buttons can easily be pressed with summer gloves on, a bit harder with the goretex winter gloves but still doable. Good sound and battery life too.

Very interesting.

So they stay in your ear while pulling the helmet down over your head?

They are comfortable with the helmet on for long periods?

You can hear music/calls/navigation over 70mph?

I like the sound of these if they can do all that. And very reasonable price too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 SantaClaw

brenbrady wrote: »
    What GPS do you use?

Got a TomTom Rider, the one with no number. It's older but as it still gets map updates there isn't really a reason to update to a new model.

It is rather sturdy and waterproof and works well, I am sure nowadays you can do all its functions on the phone as well but I just prefer not having my phone strapped to the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Use maps for planning tours/holidays/weekends as it gives me an overview.

Put the routes into zumo via basecamp on pc.

The zumo 390lm has lifetime maps, waterproof, can be used with gloves, and syncs with my scala Q1.

Rarely use phone, but have Waze just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Think ill try these out. Current set up is not great (freedcom ) I think they are called. Too much wind noise.

Thanks for recommending. I was sceptical but can confirm now they work a dream

Advertisement