Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 tomatoes

Options
  • 14-03-2021 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭

Its that time of year when we can look forward to the summer and start planning for it!

This year I'm going for mostly cherry types with Latah, Sungold and new for me this year, Galina. I'm also growing some old reliable Gardeners Delight.

For now they are in two electric propagators in my kitchen and will move to the greenhouse in a month or so with eventual planting outside around mid May or so.
    Nothing like eating a sweet fresh homegrown tomato off the vine, that is if you can get to it before the kids!

Would love to hear what others are planing for summer 2021 with their tomatoes.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have some Moneymakers that have just germinated in the kitchen. Packet of seeds from Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

I'm trying some new varieties this year: Bloody Butcher, Orange Banana and Pantano Romanesco.
    The usual staples too as have plenty of saved seed: Gardener's Delight, Roma, Moneymaker, Ailsa Craig plus a few Sungold seeds I had left over from last year and, for the second year, Black Cherry.
    Edited to say I wasn't that impressed with Sungold last year and probably won't grow them again after this year...plus they're F1 so the seed can't be saved anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bill Hook

My tomatoes (sown on the 2nd of March) are ready to prick out; I'm growing Polen, Sunviva, Alicante and Tigerella this year. Chillis sown the same day also need to be pricked out.

Two of the chilli plants I overwintered on the kitchen table are starting to flower so maybe I will get some early chillis.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I've money maker and Spencer, seedlings are getting ready to move into pots

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Have a few varieties just about ready to go into individual pots, before the greenhouse and then outdoors for some. Sungold, Maskokta, Tommy toes, and a ew more. 3 bush varieties and about 5 indeterminates

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Late getting started, only sowing seeds this week. San Marzano for pizza sauce and a few cherry varieties, def a couple of Sungold anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I'm trying some new varieties this year: Bloody Butcher, Orange Banana and Pantano Romanesco.
    The usual staples too as have plenty of saved seed: Gardener's Delight, Roma, Moneymaker, Ailsa Craig plus a few Sungold seeds I had left over from last year and, for the second year, Black Cherry.
    Edited to say I wasn't that impressed with Sungold last year and probably won't grow them again after this year...plus they're F1 so the seed can't be saved anyway.
    You can grow from the seeds of F1 plants. They won't be true to type, but, hey, you might get lucky and get a nice tomato.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Zzippy wrote: »
    Late getting started, only sowing seeds this week. San Marzano for pizza sauce and a few cherry varieties, def a couple of Sungold anyway.

Only did the day before posting this topic myself, should be fine. Sungold seems very popular, that and Latah would be my favourites previous years. I've also high hopes for the Galina variety this year.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Supercell wrote: »
    Only did the day before posting this topic myself, should be fine. Sungold seems very popular, that and Latah would be my favourites previous years. I've also high hopes for the Galina variety this year.

Yeah, I'm not worried. I've planted early before but found later planting gives better sturdier plants, and they catch up with the early planted ones anyway. I would normally plant first week of March but an extra child this year means life is a bit hectic!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

More san marzanos. Grew them last year and had unreal pizza sauce from the freezer all winter.

I think I have a packet of golden girls or something from the year beofre which were great for eating fresh. (Nano and san marzano from last year were only good for sauces, very mealy)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I know the conventional wisdom isnt to put tomatoes outside in temperatures below around 8C however my back garden is quite sheltered and during sunny weather I have been doing it and taking them inside at night. Today its around 5C and I'm concerned I may be harming my babies, any advice?

For an idea here the size of them now, sown 13/03 :

549642.jpg

Advertisement