Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Insulation for campervan.

Options
  • 13-03-2021 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

What is the best removable insulation to fit in the walls of a campervan, that wont trap moisture? I already have a thin layer of reflective air bubble insulation, but want to now bulk up the insulation.
    I dont want to use sprayfoam , as I want it all to be reversible for future bodywork repairs.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Air bubble insulation on it's own is pretty useless if it's used the way most people use it. i.e no airgap facing the foil sides.
    Any isulation to bulk up (typical attic insulation) will trap moisture. B&Q have a white attic insulation in 100mm thick rolls. It's made from recycled plastic bottles and is easier to work with than the more traditional glass wool rolls.
    You need to create a vapour barrier to keep the moisture/warm air inside the van from reaching the cold metal outer skin and forming condensation.
    So you need to fit a barrier foil on the inner side of your insulation using foil tape and try seal it up as best you can, including taping up all the holes in the metalwork.
    For any future bodywork repairs, you'll have to remove the barrier foil and at least the bulky insulation is then easily removed and can be reused.
    You may have to replace/repair the barrier foil - depending on how much damage was caused when removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dee bee

Are the solid Foam boards any good for wall insulation in a campervan? Does it require extra fillings to make it airtight, unlike fiber insulation?

I disagree with vapour barriers, it's nearly impossible to stop moisture inside the walls, it's getting barraged on all sides. I prefer to coat the shell in a closed cell barrier waxoyl or other HD paint.

As for best insulation, highly controversial. The bubble wrap is pretty useless alright. I'm inclined to go armaflex type and spray foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Citroen2cv wrote: »
    What is the best removable insulation to fit in the walls of a campervan, that wont trap moisture? I already have a thin layer of reflective air bubble insulation, but want to now bulk up the insulation.
    I dont want to use sprayfoam , as I want it all to be reversible for future bodywork repairs.

547470.jpeg

I would opt for recyclable plastic insulation loaf, the one in B&Q inexpensive and good R value + vapor barrier.
    And no harm for heath.

Advertisement