Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multicar type policy - any new options?

Options
  • 09-03-2021 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I have searched back and aware of the general gloom around this subject. However, in the spirt of the market and quoting-us-unhappy, I'm nearly certain that I'm going to have no choice to put on a pot of coffee and call ALLLL the insurance providers if I were to make any kind of headway on this is there any new knowledge regarding insuring multiple cars?

I have a 2006 1.9TDI Passat estate I wish to continue to daily but I'm just after buying a 2005 MK5 Golf GTi which I would ideally like to insure with some kind of secondary, low-mileage, classic-type policy.

Any new options out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

cantdecide wrote: »
    I have searched and aware of the general gloom around this subject.

In the spirt of the market and quoting-us-unhappy, I'm nearly certain that I'm going to have no choice to put on a pot of coffee and call ALLLL the insurance providers if I were to make any kind of headway on this is there any new knowledge regarding insuring multiple cars?

I have a 2006 1.9TDI Passat estate I wish to continue to daily but I'm just after buying a 2005 MK5 Golf GTi which I would ideally like to insure with some kind of secondary, low-mileage, classic-type policy.

Any new options out there?

Would be very difficult to get classics policy for 2005 Golf...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

grogi wrote: »
    Would be very difficult to get classics policy for 2005 Golf...

Well I managed it! I appealed to a broker to find an exception for me and they have. Absolutely no bending of any truths. They've asked me not to blab about the specifics of my case (and I won't). However, I will say I would advise people to have hope and plead their own cases on this - it worked for me. I'm delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭logie101

cantdecide wrote: »
    Well I managed it! I appealed to a broker to find an exception for me and they have. Absolutely no bending of any truths. They've asked me not to blab about the specifics of my case (and I won't). However, I will say I would advise people to have hope and plead their own cases on this - it worked for me. I'm delighted.

I am in a similar boat. I’ve an A6 Avant but would love to get something “sporty” for the weekend driver.
    I’m with Allianz. I haven’t asked them yet but I assumed it would be a non runner.
    If you are not able to disclose the details that’s fine. But in regards cost was it reasonable? Did your no claims count for the second car?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

They shot me down on my first inquiry but they decided to humour me when I wrote a gentle appeal through the complaints process. As I said above, plead your case. In my case, they didn't 'mirror' my NCD - it was a straight classic car policy. I also don't earn a second NCD with the classic policy but as regards price, I paid around half what I pay to insure my 2006 1.9TDI Passat Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Fair play to you,I was/am in the same boat,have an everyday car and got a 2003 Focus to go to shows etc during the summer.Could'nt get it on a Classic Policy (even Autoline up north stuck to the over 20 yrs old only rule),so had to start a 2nd normal policy for it from scratch with 0 yrs no claim's bonus.Was painfull handing over the money.Only thing that made it somewhat bearable is I immediately declared it off the road,so only had it covered for fire and theft.So for every month it was'nt being driven I got back 70% of my money at the end of the year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement