Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rikand Walrus V2.0

Options
  • 06-03-2021 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭

Lets get ready to WALRUS!!!!!

cache.php?img=http%3A%2F%2Forig12.deviantart.net%2Fe834%2Ff%2F2011%2F312%2F4%2F9%2Fninja_walrus_by_kivei-d4fk5an.png

What is walrus you might be asking yourself ? Walrus is a music judging based game invented by Vasily "Walrus" Jones, an early 1800's crippled pirate of welsh-russian decent who spent a part of his life stranded off the coast of Canada with nobody but a few Walrus for company. They laughed, they cried, they sang songs and the rated each others effort for nothing more than the sheer joy of it!

A little bit about my musical preferences. As most of you know, I'm pretty keen on dance/electronic music but I love pretty much all music. Rap/R&B/hiphop can be a risk when submitted to me, but on the occasion when it hits the mark with me, it tends to really hit the mark! I'd generally prefer anything over it though in particular Rock/Alternative. But I also like folk, classical, pop, lots of stuff. My taste is pretty broad

The reason I do walrus is to discover new music. Who doesnt love the classics, but its new music I love to hear most of all. Dont be put off by submitting something well known to you if you want to use it to introduce me to an artist/ band. Like Haitian Divorce was submitted to me in a category before which i didnt like, but then I listened to more Steely Dan stuff and I actually really quite enjoyed listening to them. I had never listened to them before and it was great to get an introduction I would never have otherwise bothered with.

For a look at my previous walrus reveal in the hope it provide some inspiration for you, you can view it here :: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057993901 :D

The Categories ::

1. A song that brings you joy
    2. A song that reminds you of a time of the day
    3. A song that you sing or hum along to in the shower
    4. An ethereal or spiritual sounding song
    5. A song that reminds you of a fantasy theme/setting
    6. A song that has a line from a movie in it or has sampled a line from a movie.
    7. A song about, by ,or featuring the name of a man that Taylor Swift has dated
    8. A song that you like to listen to when browsing and entering games on Forum Games.

Deeper explanations of the cats if needed ?

1. No further explanation needed imo. Anything that makes you happy because who needs more depression in a lockdown!

2. If you like a song that reminds you of morning time, then submit that. If you like a song that reminds you of evening time, then submit that. If you like a song that reminds you of the 3pm slump in the office, then submit that. Whatever works for you :D - Though maybe include which time of day you are submitting your song for if you feel it might help my judgement of it :)

3. i always have music playing when im in the shower. its usually electronic, so it's usually something I am humming along to or grooving to, but I'm not adverse to singing too :D i will be listening to these suggestions when im in the shower at least once.

4. Whatever sounds ethereal or spiritual to you or reminds you of those topics

5. I love fantasy stuff! I'm a massive Lord of the Rings fanboi. I've read the book countless times and seen the movies about 10 times more than that. I love fantasy stuff and the music that is often produced for fantasy films is incredible. I'm not particularly looking for soundtracks or anything like that here. Just something that makes you think fantasy when you hear it.... whatever that fantasy song is for you :)

6. There's a few obvious ones out there where a quote from a movie is sampled into a song or a song where the singer sings a line that was straight out of a movie and I'm not going to mind if people go for the obvious ones here too much. It's a tricky category I think. But as usual if you give me something more unusual that is also brilliant, you'll do better than the obvious ones :)

7. https://taylorswift.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Taylor_Swift%27s_ex-boyfriends - I think this is almost all of them. So as long as the song is either about one of these guys is a song sung by one of these guys or is a song containing the first, last or full name of these guys, I will accept it :) - My knowledge of Taylor Swift herself is pretty low outside of the hit singles.

8. Whether you are playing Werewolf, Walrus, Sheep, Codenames, In/Out(remember in/out?), whatever if there is a song in particular you like to listen to while doing these things, i want to hear it :D

PM your selections to me and list each category as Artist Name - Artist Title - Youtube link(preferred) and Description of why you chose/like the song(optional).

Signups open until the 19/3/21 - so thats 2 weeks to get entries in which i think is enough time :) - No limit on number of entries

If you have any questions, ask in thread :cool:

Good Luck!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I thought you were seriously explaining the origins of walrus to me for about a line... :D :pac:

Loving cat. 7, it was this logic I used when we played Kangaroo :D

I'll see if I songs worth entering come to mind and if so I'll submit, looking forward to happy music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

ari101 wrote: »
    I thought you were seriously explaining the origins of walrus to me for about a line... :D :pac:

Loving cat. 7, it was this logic I used when we played Kangaroo :D

I'll see if I songs worth entering come to mind and if so I'll submit, looking forward to happy music :)

Something I penned together, just for the craic of it :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111055180&postcount=43

• Registered Users Posts: 10,721 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Rikand wrote: »
    I'm still debating whether to include one particular category or not as I'm worried it could scare people away with the potential trickiness of it, but we'll see after I have another sleep on it :)

So did this make the cut? Which one was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

So did this make the cut? Which one was it?
    Number 6 I'd guess. I'm struggling with it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

In :D

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Number 6 I'd guess. I'm struggling with it
    That's one of the easiest for me, it was one of my category ideas too and I love well used samples

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

In

Yep, number 6. A lot of electronic music samples quotes and even scenes from movies so its always a fascination of mine when quotes appear in songs. There were a lot of songs in the 90's and 00's that did this particularly for movies like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, etc so I wanted to see what anyone would be able to submit to me for this one :)

Take your time with your submissions. Not everyone needs to turbo em in like Necro does :D

Yep, number 6. A lot of electronic music samples quotes and even scenes from movies so its always a fascination of mine when quotes appear in songs. There were a lot of songs in the 90's and 00's that did this particularly for movies like Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, etc so I wanted to see what anyone would be able to submit to me for this one :)

Take your time with your submissions. Not everyone needs to turbo em in like Necro does :D
    I love film samples too, I'm going to struggle to cut this down to one! Luckily I can eliminate one as I entered it in your original walrus, the quote at the start of this is Matt Dillon in Singles...
    2nd Place :: 65daysofstatic - Retreat! Retreat!

First listen I was like.... "What have I just listened to????" Like, I spent the whole time waiting for the intro to end and then I realised "Oh, its an instrumental" and then I loved it! Starts off with the really light ring tone and then hits you fill in the face with an explosive energy. Great guitars, Great Drums, Great everything and a really lovely chilled out outro to finish. I loved this way more than I ever expected to

2nd Place - 14 points to
    Electric Nitwit

"This negative energy just makes me stronger, we will not retreat, this band is unstoppable!"

Love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Entries In.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Some great categories here will need to have a think on one or two of them

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

In

3 Entrants so far ::

Necro
    ASLB
    ShaneU

I love film samples too, I'm going to struggle to cut this down to one! Luckily I can eliminate one as I entered it in your original walrus, the quote at the start of this is Matt Dillon in Singles...

"This negative energy just makes me stronger, we will not retreat, this band is unstoppable!"

Love it :D

I had wondered where that quote was from. I assumed it was a quote from a reviewer about the band themselves :)

Got the first six done, and I can confidently say

tenor.gif?itemid=13340692
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Some far out cats Rik, but I can dig it.
    Funny how Taylor Swift went out with another Taylor. If they got hitched they would litrerally be Mr & Mrs Tsylor Lautner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

I'll give this a bash..

6 will be a problem because I can't think of anything off the top of my head so I'll have to figure that one out.

7, I feel is going to be one of those catches that everyone else knows whats going on except me :o :pac:

So with 7, does the song have to be about one of the actual ex's, or can it be a song just using the name of one of them?

E.g John, but a song about John Snow??

I'll give this a bash..

6 will be a problem because I can't think of anything off the top of my head so I'll have to figure that one out.

7, I feel is going to be one of those catches that everyone else knows whats going on except me :o :pac:

So with 7, does the song have to be about one of the actual ex's, or can it be a song just using the name of one of them?

E.g John, but a song about John Snow??

Yep, you're right about number 7 :) it can be a song using the name of one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 85,260 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I will get thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

In. I went for mostly obscure songs, hopefully that doesn't backfire on me :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I will be in too.
    Probably next week before I can send the list. I want to go through my electronic music library in a bit more detail, great opportunity to submit some obscurities.

Got the first six done, and I can confidently say

tenor.gif?itemid=13340692
    :D

And in - more electronic than normal for me, but that was actually based more on the categories than playing to the host. Hopefully it works in my favour though!

What exactly is electronic music? I don't think I know/listen to any electronic bands.

I know the Polica 'Very Cruel' song that was submitted somewhere here on boards. I don't think it was received very well, but I think its brilliant!

Other than that, I can't say i know anything else electronic

• Registered Users Posts: 14,361 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

What exactly is electronic music? I don't think I know/listen to any electronic bands.

I know the Polica 'Very Cruel' song that was submitted somewhere here on boards. I don't think it was received very well, but I think its brilliant!

Other than that, I can't say i know anything else electronic

I suppose in the broadest possible sense anything created using electronic musical instruments or computer software etc.

And if you want to be even more broad, even things that include electronic elements - like programmed beats in a song - could be viewed as being as partly electronic.

I'm sure you've listened to something electronic over the years - it would have been impossible to avoid it. Even "rock" bands like Radiohead and U2 have incorporated electronic elements to their sounds at some point. Most pop these days, regardless of genre, has elements of electronic in it. Someone like Billie Eilish is a mix of different genres, but electronica is definitely a prominent part of her sound - though I'm sure some purists would disagree.

You haven't listened to any dance music over the years? That's all electronic in my book. I'm sure you listened to The Prodigy or Massive Attack at some stage.

Arghus wrote: »
    I'm sure you've listened to something electronic over the years - it would have been impossible to avoid it.

You haven't listened to any dance music over the years? That's all electronic in my book. I'm sure you listened to The Prodigy or Massive Attack at some stage.

Oh yeah suppose i have then. I just wasn't sure which bands were considered pure electronic.

Another one I remembered was a song, again here on boards, Gary Numan 'My name is ruin' that I liked.

I was curious because its not something I'd normally listen to, so I looked him up and came across this. & was like eh no thanks, that's not for me.. Boring as fcuk :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_cuTWOXAvHw&t=485s

Sorry couldn't get link to embed

Oh yeah suppose i have then. I just wasn't sure which bands were considered pure electronic.

Another one I remembered was a song, again here on boards, Gary Numan 'My name is ruin' that I liked.

I was curious because its not something I'd normally listen to, so I looked him up and came across this. & was like eh no thanks, that's not for me.. Boring as fcuk :D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_cuTWOXAvHw&t=485s

Sorry couldn't get link to embed

I am a huge fan of Gary Numan and I am pretty sure that I have submitted My Name Is Ruin in one of the competitions (maybe best song of the 10s). And I have seen him live 4 times and think he is a great performer, so how dare you??? :D:pac:

Having said that, Numan wouldn't be my first thought of electronic music, at least based on recent output. But some of his old stuff, like Cars and Are Friends Electric could be included under the electronic umbrella.
    As Arghus said Prodigy would be a great example and I have some of their songs on my mind for a couple of categories - I just want to avoid obvious choices though, so I will see.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Irish Aris wrote:
    I am a huge fan of Gary Numan and I am pretty sure that I have submitted My Name Is Ruin in one of the competitions (maybe best song of the 10s). And I have seen him live 4 times and think he is a great performer, so how dare you???

Pretty sure it was my Walrus :D

Necro wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was my Walrus :D

ah, yes, the album walrus, you are right.

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I am a huge fan of Gary Numan and I am pretty sure that I have submitted My Name Is Ruin in one of the competitions (maybe best song of the 10s). And I have seen him live 4 times and think he is a great performer, so how dare you??? :D:pac:

Having said that, Numan wouldn't be my first thought of electronic music, at least based on recent output. But some of his old stuff, like Cars and Are Friends Electric could be included under the electronic umbrella.
    As Arghus said Prodigy would be a great example and I have some of their songs on my mind for a couple of categories - I just want to avoid obvious choices though, so I will see.

:D:D

OK OK I'll give him another chance at some stage. Maybe i gave up too soon after that particular link. Just wasn't for me.

Yeah now that its been pointed out to me that the likes of The Prodigy are electronic, its as clear as day!

It never registered with me what the genre was that those type of songs were. I think I just liked the songs and never thought much deeper into it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

Almost have my entry done.

Number 7 is the hardest category for me it seems.

Advertisement