Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 in 1 instant hot water tap

Options
  • 01-03-2021 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭

Not quite home automation, but didn’t get a reply over on the plumbing board.........and figured someone here might have some experience

I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone that has any recommendations and/or experience with these instant hot water taps?

I need to replace my kitchen tap the stem of which broke recently.
    So I’m thinking of splashing out on one of these 4in1 taps with hot water, boiling, cold and filtered cold!

Couldn’t find a post younger than 6 years on this topic on boards.

Appreciate any insights, experience and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Hardly IOT, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

degsie wrote: »
    Hardly IOT, in fairness.

IOT "Immersion On Tap"

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

IOT "Immersion On Tap"

Yea, I know....:) ...... it is automating the heating of my hot water on demand..... ;)

where would you post it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've a boiling water tap, filtered and hot, i think the 4 is sparkling water. It's brilliant, not only for making tea but very handy for cooking, it's also surprisingly cheap to run, about the same to run for 24 hours as it would be to boil a kettle 3 times

So I hear, how long have you had it? They seem to make a lot of sense!

they do versions now with boiling water, hot water, straight cold and filtered cold........what brand is yours?

I don’t see any downside other than the upfront cost? They will pay for themselves in a couple of years right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,825 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Where can you get them? I presume it needs hefty wiring done by an electrician. What wattage are they,? if anyone has a link to an Irish supplier I'd be very grateful.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Where can you get them? I presume it needs hefty wiring done by an electrician. What wattage are they,? if anyone has a link to an Irish supplier I'd be very grateful.

Yea, franke and grohe do them. I believe it’s a standard 13 amp plug

https://www.franke.com/ie/en/hs/expertise/special-features/omni-product-information.html

https://www.grohe.ie/en_ie/for-your-kitchen/watersystems/grohe-blue/watersystems.html

ctlsleh wrote: »

Thanks for those links I didn't realise there was an under-sink boiler I thought they heated the water instantly as it flowed similar to an electric shower. Don't think there's enough room under the sink tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

Check out Quooker .ie, we got one installed with the kitchen and it was a crazy purchase at the time, but if you asked me to buy one again i would say YES!

Great for Tea/Coffee, Cooking, Cleaning, Sterilising etc....

We didn't get the Filtered water part as we read on line it needs annual servicing etc..... but we might add it later.

The heater works off a standard 3 pin plug, the Flask that fits under the sink is small enough so should fit most kitchen cupboards.

To keep it inline with IOT we did add the Lidl smart plug and setup a routine to turn it off at night time and back on in the morning

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

We've had ours for about 2 years now, to second what has already been said if it was to break we'd replace it straight away regardless of the cost, it's amazing the amount of space no kettle frees up. I'm not sure about the annual service for the filter water, but ours is just a filter, I replace it yearly but I can do it myself. I used to have it connected to an IoT plug but it was costing more to heat the water in the morning rather than keeping the water at 98 degrees. The 1 thing that concerns me is that we're in a very hard water area and I don't know how to descale it but I'll deal with that when the time comes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Don't have one at home, but when were were getting our company was getting our new office fitted out, I insisted on us getting one in the kitchen. We got a Zip commercial one, but they make a domestic version too. https://water4you.ie/index.php/pages/zip-hydrotap. Not sure how the cost compares to the others recommended in this thread, so it might not be ideal.

Sad thing is, they only finished fitting it the day before we had to abandon the office last March due to the pandemic, so I only got to use it once.

There's a fairly hefty unit under the sink doing all the filtering and boiling. They do versions that do carbonated water, fruit juice and all kinds of shenanigans. Personally, I'd love a filtered/instant boiling one in my house. Maybe someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I don't see any pricing, I presume they are moon money? Anyone that has one, how much did it cost ?

sumo12 wrote: »
    I don't see any pricing, I presume they are moon money? Anyone that has one, how much did it cost ?

Now that is the ceist of the day..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,933 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's some prices of a few different ones. Looks like you're talking €500 up to a few grand, depending on make and model. Plus installation.

https://www.taps4less.ie/Boiling-Water-Taps.html

They aren't that expensive, I got mine for around GB£380 I think, there's loads of options out there, for example

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-in-1-Instant-Hot-Cold-Boiling-Water-Kitchen-Tap-Filter-Tank-Twin-Lever-Four-Co/174437310271?hash=item289d461f3f:g:dlsAAOSwnYdfYNzl

They aren't that expensive in fairness I was expecting them to be higher.

My brother spent over €100 on a kettle with some special keep alive function around the same time as I bought the tap, he's replaced his already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Just specced a new kitchen. Getting the Quooker with boiling / cold filtered / sparkling. €1,200 is the price the kitchen company is charging, which presumable includes a margin on their part. As mentioned above, runs off 2 x 3 pin standard plugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

We've a Grohe Red one. On our 3rd one in 4 years. The first 2 "broke" less than a year after installation....essentially because of hard water. In fairness both were replaced under warranty. Water is from our own well and after 2 of them broke, we installed a decent external water softener system to remove the limescale. The built-in filter in the Tap unit wasn't strong enough to soften our water. Since then, we've had no issues.
    So my advice is ensure the water isn't excessively hard as they are expensive to install/replace. And as others have said, the tank takes up most of the cupboard under the sink. But very handy to have and wouldnt be without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭eusap

ArthurG wrote: »
    Just specced a new kitchen. Getting the Quooker with boiling / cold filtered / sparkling. €1,200 is the price the kitchen company is charging, which presumable includes a margin on their part. As mentioned above, runs off 2 x 3 pin standard plugs.

I would ask for clarity on that price, our quooker flex cost €1500 and at the time the kitchen company said it does all 4 but when i checked it was €1500 for the Tap and Tank, the cold filtered/sparkling was another 1200€

• Advertisement

eusap wrote: »
    Check out Quooker .ie, we got one installed with the kitchen and it was a crazy purchase at the time, but if you asked me to buy one again i would say YES!

Great for Tea/Coffee, Cooking, Cleaning, Sterilising etc....

We didn't get the Filtered water part as we read on line it needs annual servicing etc..... but we might add it later.

The heater works off a standard 3 pin plug, the Flask that fits under the sink is small enough so should fit most kitchen cupboards.

To keep it inline with IOT we did add the Lidl smart plug and setup a routine to turn it off at night time and back on in the morning

very clever with the IOT switch, im sold!
    Running costs low?

My only concern is that it stops working after 4-5 years and completely blows out the biz case

hero25 wrote: »
    We've a Grohe Red one. On our 3rd one in 4 years. The first 2 "broke" less than a year after installation....essentially because of hard water. In fairness both were replaced under warranty. Water is from our own well and after 2 of them broke, we installed a decent external water softener system to remove the limescale. The built-in filter in the Tap unit wasn't strong enough to soften our water. Since then, we've had no issues.
    So my advice is ensure the water isn't excessively hard as they are expensive to install/replace. And as others have said, the tank takes up most of the cupboard under the sink. But very handy to have and wouldnt be without it.

very useful information, thanks for that! any advise on which water filter you used?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭hero25

went with one that resembles this https://www.processpro.eu/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/vandens-minkstinimas.jpg - that tank's approx 3 to 4 ft high

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jacobs_Stripe

Hey!

Just wondering if I go with the basic Quooker that just gives boiling water is there a filter that needs to be changing or any servicing involved?

Or is it just installation and then that's it, no changing filters or servicing required?

Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

Anyone try replacing the Quooker filter with non branded version?

Post edited by samdeluxjones on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

i have just the boiling water tap. i rang the support to check if i can connect a 3rd party water filter to quooker and they said no.

How often should it be changed?

Advertisement