Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Sinn Fein have a social media problem?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

astrofool wrote: »
    Let's start with the first question. Is a SF social media post about commemorating a bomber relevant to a discussion about SF having a social media problem?

If it is, how are they going about solving that problem so it doesn't keep on occurring?

If it isn't, do you deny that there is a problem at all, and thus this thread shouldn't even exist?

There certainly is a problem with SF. Is it a problem 'for' SF?

Not sure it's a huge problem for them, you'd have to ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There certainly is a problem with SF. Is it a problem 'for' SF?

Not sure it's a huge problem for them, you'd have to ask them.

In your opinion, what is the answer? You're active on this thread enough, you surely have an opinion of your own on it by now without engaging the army council first?
    Let's start with the first question. Is a SF social media post about commemorating a bomber relevant to a discussion about SF having a social media problem?

If it is, how are they going about solving that problem so it doesn't keep on occurring?

If it isn't, do you deny that there is a problem at all, and thus this thread shouldn't even exist?

In your opinion, what is the answer? You're active on this thread enough, you surely have an opinion of your own on it by now without engaging the army council first?

A comment like that knocks you off my list of people I am willing to discuss anything with.

Did somebody mention abusive posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Now in the comments you have people advocating for opening up the country and others advocating for a zero covid approach. People are criticising the vaccine rollout, claiming our country will be lost (whatever that means) and coming out with all sorts of tripe, cemetery unchecked, and in their own minds Mary Lou is standing up for their interests against "FFG". Mary Lou is happy to sit on the fence and not get into specifics.

Sinn Feins position is to promote as much populism as possible to gain votes so that they can fulfill their ballot box agenda.

It goes way back, of you can recall how Pearse called for burning the bond holders after the 08 crash, ignoring the implications for our reliance on the ECB.

Their latest stunt is the bill to do away with dual insurance pricing. Sounds great, but in practice it'll hurt people like me who are willing to shop around and change insurers to get a cheaper deal.

Instead we will all be paying higher insurance, because there is no incentive for insurers to lower prices when their competitors can't do it either. Push the populist idea but totally ignore the underlying causes of high insurance such as extremely high court awards, legal fees etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,060 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

A comment like that knocks you off my list of people I am willing to discuss anything with.

You got lucky astro

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You got lucky astro

No more of this carry on please. Use the report function please.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

This is deflecting again, on this thread, topics around SF's issues with social media are being discussed, some are blaming SF for allowing this to happen, some are defending SF's position, or lack of a position, depending on which issue is currently happening. I'm arguing in good faith, and I don't believe I should be ignored as a result, and you can peruse my posting history to that effect.

But, if you are coming down on the side of consistently defending SF in these matters, then your own opinion, and not that of SF, should surely be taken into account, otherwise you are arguing in bad faith, and if so, others on the discussion should be allowed to know that, which is why I asked twice so directly (and unnecessarily needled you about the army council, which would be avoided if you stopped deflecting to SF on what your opinion should be, I would expect similarly high standards from yourself with any posts about FF and FG going forward, and hope you won't be similarly offended if cases where you fall below these standards are consistently pointed out).

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

They are accepted - more than any other party at the last election.

They haven't been accepted as a party of government yet.

All of the political parties that have spent time in government - FF, FG, Labour, Greens, Independents - refused to do business with Sinn Fein because they didn't see it as fit for government.

The Greens, who would have been most open to it, did explore the possibility, but resiled very very quickly.

blanch152 wrote: »
    They haven't been accepted as a party of government yet.

All of the political parties that have spent time in government - FF, FG, Labour, Greens, Independents - refused to do business with Sinn Fein because they didn't see it as fit for government.

The Greens, who would have been most open to it, did explore the possibility, but resiled very very quickly.

And look who 4 of those are - 2 that have swapped power between them since the foundation of the state and their cannon fodder coalition partners.

And look who 4 of those are - 2 that have swapped power between them since the foundation of the state and their cannon fodder coalition partners.

Between the five of them, they still have the vast majority of people in this country voting for them.

• Advertisement

Between the five of them, they still have the vast majority of people in this country voting for them.

And they'll keep swapping power as their vote share continues to drop. The main two...from 86% to just over 40%.

Anyway, way off topic.

And they'll keep swapping power as their vote share continues to drop. The main two...from 86% to just over 40%.

Anyway, way off topic.

Not necessarily.

The social media problem of Sinn Fein is probably why 75% plus of voters will swap between all other parties except Sinn Fein.

Not necessarily.

The social media problem of Sinn Fein is probably why 75% plus of voters will swap between all other parties except Sinn Fein.

That's great...show us the data on that one?

That's great...show us the data on that one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Irish_general_election

Sinn Fein's highest vote was 24.5% in the last general election. Unless and until they get over 25%, my proposition holds.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Irish_general_election

Sinn Fein's highest vote was 24.5% in the last general election. Unless and until they get over 25%, my proposition holds.

Before the last election you were putting a ceiling of 18% on them. They are now running much higher in the polls at around 28-30%. Obviously social media 'problems' are not living up to your expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

S.F. claim to be in government in the North when things are good. When they are not they said "its Westminster controls the budget" Even when the FFFG Green government are messing up in the South SF still cant seem to break the 30% mark in the polls. Some of their younger TDs who have capabilities are never heard while all we get is McDonalds who is getting a bit wearying, Louise O Reilly ( who was a good Health spokesperson and should have been left there) and "Up the Ra" Cullinane who is spokesperson for "stating the bloody obvious"

https://www.independent.ie/news/sinn-fein-urges-councillor-paddy-holohan-to-remove-post-backing-beauty-salon-owner-40136910.html

As long as SF have gobsh!tes like Holohan representing them, they will continue to have a social media problem.

"In another Facebook post, Mr Holohan said you can “bet your house” gardai would not attend a meat plant in the same numbers as those who attended Ms McTiernan’s beauty salon. “Aldi has 100s of People a day pass through, this shop probably wouldn’t see 100 a month,” he said."

What a clown, but there are still people on here that will defend him.

https://www.independent.ie/news/sinn-fein-urges-councillor-paddy-holohan-to-remove-post-backing-beauty-salon-owner-40136910.html

As long as SF have gobsh!tes like Holohan representing them, they will continue to have a social media problem.

"In another Facebook post, Mr Holohan said you can “bet your house” gardai would not attend a meat plant in the same numbers as those who attended Ms McTiernan’s beauty salon. “Aldi has 100s of People a day pass through, this shop probably wouldn’t see 100 a month,” he said."

Correct and right, can’t se the big picture, sure hadn’t we gloamers here ‘attacking’ the Gardai for feeling Megaphone Murphy’s collar early in the morning when the world and his wife knows if it was later by invitation, the Jobstown mob would be there, bristling with Samsungs and IPhone6Ss to make as much trouble as possible.

Boy Blue would be there agitated as ever.:D

The problem with Holohan is not so much himself (Although he is a liability and the SHinners should get rid) but the selective attention to him on social media, and the 'quality' of our councillor stock in the country in general. A 'councillor' in this country of any party is liable to do or say anything.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-20175093.html

https://www.pbp.ie/calls-for-public-apology-over-fascist-comments-from-fine-gael/

The problem with Holohan is not so much himself (Although he is a liability and the SHinners should get rid) but the selective attention to him on social media, and the 'quality' of our councillor stock in the country in general. A 'councillor' in this country of any party is liable to do or say anything.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-20175093.html

https://www.pbp.ie/calls-for-public-apology-over-fascist-comments-from-fine-gael/

You are indeed correct that any councillor of any party is liable to do or say anything.

The problem for Sinn Fein is that in playing Stupid Councillor Bingo, the person with the Holohan card is calling Full House, before anyone else marks their card.

• Advertisement

The social media problems of Sinn Fein continue.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sinn-fein-mp-hazzards-china-solidarity-tweet-prompts-backlash-40141595.html

A tweet from one of their MPs has resulted in a backlash from the Alliance, Greens, SDLP, FF, UK Labour, and interestingly Amnesty International.

Quite a stir that one has made.

The social media problems of Sinn Fein continue.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/sinn-fein-mp-hazzards-china-solidarity-tweet-prompts-backlash-40141595.html

A tweet from one of their MPs has resulted in a backlash from the Alliance, Greens, SDLP, FF, UK Labour, and interestingly Amnesty International.

Quite a stir that one has made.

While it is fun to stir, I presume all members of the Alliance, Greens, SDLP, FF, UK Labour have stopped buying and are giving away all items they own that were made in China, in solidarity of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

While it is fun to stir, I presume all members of the Alliance, Greens, SDLP, FF, UK Labour have stopped buying and are giving away all items they own that were made in China, in solidarity of course.

Ah cmon now, a sinn fein representative has praised Xi for eradicating inequalities and asserted "solidarity" with the Chinese regime, while Xi has presided over a stupid number of human rights abuses.

You could have said you agree, or disagree, or disagree but think he has the right to free speech, or that his views don't align with sinn fein, or any other number of logical conclusions, etc etc

Instead you go through some serious mental gymnastics to try and deflect to *everyone else* apart from either sinn fein or the guy who tweeted How in jaysus' name does the opposition buying Chinese goods even factor into your thinking here? Like you can be in favour of ff/fg/sf or whoever, but if you get to this level of deflection you need to seriously consider your level of critical thinking. Its symbolic of a political system like the USA, where you pick a colour (red or blue) instead of a political party - we do not want to go down that road.

Some of the sinn fein leadership are very capable - but this weird cult-like following that they have cultivated, that they are the saviours to "FFG" and "Liebour", is bizarre. No political party is perfect, sinn fein followers would do well to understand that sometimes its OK to criticise the party or its representatives

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ridiculous.

That tweet is pure CCP propaganda.

So, what's SF's stance on the oppressed people of Hong Kong shortly about to be re-colonised? :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,919 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No political party is perfect, sinn fein followers would do well to understand that sometimes its OK to criticise the party or its representatives

Old habits and all, in the past that'd get you face down in a ditch in Monaghan.

Life ain't always empty.

Ridiculous.

That tweet is pure CCP propaganda.

So, what's SF's stance on the oppressed people of Hong Kong shortly about to be re-colonised? :rolleyes:

They won't care what happens them, they have been freed from the yoke of British imperialism. That they lose all democratic freedoms as a result is the price you pay to be free from the Brits.

Folks, you are mistaking 'social media problems' with dislike of a political stance.

If somebody picks out a single policy of Trump or Biden or any western leader, I for one, do not take it as a general endorsement, nor should others. Easy targets and venting with agendas and all that. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Folks, you are mistaking 'social media problems' with dislike of a political stance.

If somebody picks out a single policy of Trump or Biden or any western leader, I for one, do not take it as a general endorsement, nor should others. Easy targets and venting with agendas and all that. ;)

Exactly, it's comedy central in this place. Wasn't too long ago the boyos in FG rolled out the red carpet to vice president of China, including Coveney, Noonan and others and welcomed them here and there were no concerns over human rights etc.

No mistake here, we are well able to evaluate these policies.

No need for ‘sermons’ I would suggest.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Exactly, it's comedy central in this place. Wasn't too long ago the boyos in FG rolled out the red carpet to vice president of China, including Coveney, Noonan and others and welcomed them here and there were no concerns over human rights etc.

Yes, the age old 'integrity problems' have been replaced with the new fangled 'social media problems'. :)

Advertisement