Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oul TV ads ..

Options
  • 16-12-2020 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

So, I was looking for something on YT and
    fell into a rabbit hole :D

https://www.youtube.com/user/haribokey/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

100s and 100s of old TV ads ( but not the one I was looking for )

Who knew that Arnotts did TV ads

was new one on me

I guess there is a generation that does not know what came before Tesco

Stars a very young looking Maurice Pratt :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

And the prices in old pounds as well! Did Roches Stores have adverts too? I can't remember any. Always loved Roches, they had absolutely everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

My memory is of the radio ads that were always on at Sunday lunchtime. The News had to be on while we had dinner, which was ok, but it was interspersed with ads for 'Cheno-Unction, a queer name but great stuff', and more off-puttingly, detailed discussions of scour. I did try moving the dinner a bit but the dratted news was on for an hour. Eventually Sunday dinner moved to the evening, same as the rest of the week, the ads had a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    It's the breakfast radio I remember. Always ads for farming products, talk of "mastitis" while I'm trying to eat my porridge. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Cheno Unction - it's a quare name but great stuff.
    As a city child that fascinated me. I still have no idea what it was for. Something unpleasant I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Sports endorsement used to be a lot simpler. There was a time when a Kilkenny hurler advertised a cream called Cheno Unction (for rubbing on cows’ udders, but you knew that) with the tagline: “It’s a quare name, but great stuff”.

All through the ’80s, a variety of animal medicine companies linked hurling prowess and curing ungulates. Joe Cooney got a flighty bullock in a headlock while trying to dose it, and Joe Rabbitte protected a sheep from worms and still managed to go on one of his trademark surging runs. Little did John Fenton know that when he scored a goal from a 50-yard ground-stroke, against Limerick, that he was also “smashing through mastitis”.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-20290978.html

Apparently its still available, its a
    Dairy Ointment with Fly repellent contains neem oil as a natural fly repellent. Used as a repellent on cuts, sores, grazes, bruises, minor skin abrasions and chapped teats

We were living, with two toddlers, in a very temporary house in shocking condition and with very minimal furniture while we waited 4 months through the summer for the house we had bought to be built. It ended up taking till mid January, 'camping out' had turned into surviving! The name of that stuff brings up a vivid picture of the one half sorted room we mostly lived in!

• Advertisement
Advertisement