Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

series vs UAE and Afghanistan

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

McCarthy had lost it indeed and feeds Ashgar 3 short ones in the next over that go 6, 6, 4 when they'd 18 left to win. 260-3 off 45.2. Campher only bowled 4 overs, probably would have been worth going back to him earlier with the way he had been bowling before today. I'd have tried him before McCarthy and Chase again, likewise Stirling before going back to McBrine and Singh though I guess their two 5-fors bought them the nod. Have to give credit to the two lads who put on 184 ?chancelessly?, hard to believe it was the same pitch as the last game with the lack of turn (or anything else) for all our spinners.

The WC qualifying means we have to dust ourselves off and take something out of the series on Tuesday, no dead rubbers in this format! I'm going to guess Little comes in (I'd guess for Young) if he's been showing he's up to speed in training.

Maybe for the last game I'll keep my mouth shut!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Jesus that Ireland team is very very poor. Mccarthy and Young aren't even an associate level attack as the UAE proved. Does Gareth Delaney offer anything?

Considering how they struggled against the UAE this is not unexpected.

Irish cricket is finished, nothing coming through that could be even remotely considered test level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Stirling is world class and Campher looks very promising. As for the rest it's just average at best. Tough times.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Better start today. Four wickets taken although a handy partnership starting to develop now. A few changes to the team including KOB dropped

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It just seems to be a perennial problem with Ireland in getting a good start with bowling and then letting their lower order run away with things. Its 100% a mindset issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Humberto Salazar

Seems like there is a huge reliance on Stirling. If he goes that's it you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Seems like there is a huge reliance on Stirling. If he goes that's it you would think.

He has gone, and so has tucker, lots of walking wickets to come, so it looks like another defeat, I'd love to be wrong, but it's groundhog day

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭fergiesfav

Woeful absolutely woeful.

They obviously all go to bed dreaming about Rashid Khan. They can't bowl to him, can't bat against him. I doubt in the history of the game a single player has terrorized a team like he does to Ireland.

This Irish team is probably the worst team for 15 years.

Not matter what situation they get the opposition in thy cannot finish them off. To let 163/7 become 266 is criminal and shows up how little threat the bowling side offers, particular the medium pacers. This happens time and again.

The batting side is much too reliant on Stirling. Balbirnie is an all or nothing type, you'd never depend on him. The rest are at best guys that shouldn't be batting higher than 7 in international cricket. How many times does it look like Ireland are well set for a big total only to look like headless chickens trying to up the scoring rate.

I'm convinced they don't do any bowling coaching. If any coach is teaching his bowlers to bowl repeatedly short on soft slow pitches, he obviously doesn't understand the game. The economy rates for McCarthey, Young, Little (bowled well today) and Adair are embarrassing. If they are being coached to bowl like that the coach needs to be removed.

It was a good ride while it lasted, but unless CI go down the passport route they'll be overtaken by Scotland soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

That's a crushing defeat earlier. No use being on top for the first 35 overs of each inning just to let it fall away like that.

Overall I have faith in the team - if not the coaching. How Khan does for us every match with bat or ball is infuriating. How the players have not been told to look for 3-3.5 an over off him and forget the boundaries by now is beyond me.

I feel we are paying the cost for holding onto some of the last generation for too long. A lot of this squad has still only played 5 or so series. They need to be given time.

Adair, Campher, Tucker, Delany, McCollum, Tector all need time. They've all played less than 20 ODIs barring Tucker. And he shouldve been given the gloves a long time ago.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

It just seems to be a perennial problem with Ireland in getting a good start with bowling and then letting their lower order run away with things. Its 100% a mindset issue.

We see it over and over again where they just can't finish off a team, and it's been like that for years

• Advertisement
Advertisement