Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭thesandeman

What does she be talking to J O'B about? Irish issues? I presume it's not hair and makeup anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭archfi

To be fair, usually when she skewered UK pols like Farage on Brexit/NI etc, so I'd say that's relevant and fair enough. That particular clip was well publicised here and there and elsewhere.

I've probably gone overboard in my second comment but her show does have an awful lot of reporting on UK politics (non-Irish related)

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I think she sees herself as some English politics expert which is cringe.

It is almost a daily slot now to feature some boring rubbish from England. The other day about a politician most people in Ireland haven't heard of and his tax affairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭maebee

Surely this is an editorial decision. I could be wrong but I doubt very much that CB picks the guests for the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,033 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I'd expect that of a current affairs magazine style programme. She will also look at issues arising in other countries.

I enjoy it. Very parochial view you have there if I may be so bold.

• Advertisement

Well you're making the point. Instead of focusing on issues from other countries, she has a daily slot on England. It is parochial of Irish radio to consistently discuss only English and American stories.

Lazy radio.

I don't remember the programme being this bland with previous hosts.

I do think the presenter must have a say in the topics covered. She can reflect what topics she's comfortable speaking about within the editorial team.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

It was certainly a much better show when Sean O'Rourke presented.

Like night and day.

I think she was RTE's great promise but she seems to have been promoted beyond her ability.

She was sacked off the tv. Let's see how much longer they give her on the radio.

Definitely. He's streets ahead of Claire Byrne.

• Advertisement

The shennanagins in the UK are rather newsworthy these days though and I think a lot of Irish are interested at the moment for obvious reasons. I'd be more irritated by the Royal fascination but I just zone out for that.

I would disagree that Irish people are interested in strikes in England, Sunak or Starmer. I suspect many Irish people don't even know the names of the leaders of the parties in the UK. Maybe Irish journalists find this interesting, but the public likely don't.

I disagree. The general public might be dis-interested but anyone interested in current affairs would be interested in political developments and the direction of our neighbouring island.

Perhaps but not daily. I think that's the point I was making.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Claire Byrne eh? Where will I start. When the slot became available there was a lot of speculation about a replacement. Hard shoes to fill for sure as SOR was excellent. Sarah Mc Inerney sat in for six months or so iirc. Sarah was also really good in the role and people warmed to her. This was widely seen across all SM sites and would've been well known by RTE. Lets say that was a 6 mth trial. On that basis, what should've happened is CB then does a trial and the results are assessed.

But no, that's not the way it works in the Montrosian millionaire factory. As RTE are a public service orientated organisation [sarcasm] they take the decision to go against public sentiment and give the show to CB who is untested in this radio slot and Sarah (who was widely liked and respected) finds her talents diluted with that clown Cormac on drivetime.

So having made yet another massive mistake, what happens? Well Claire does what Claire does - packs the show with her agency colleagues making for a dull and predictable show day after day, but that's okay cos her mates are earning the money right?

All this results in the show struggling to get sponsors (bar the Govt stepping in with a Solas sponsorship for a few months and more recently Allcare pharm - the RTE go-to company to offer cheap rates to, to save face) and mainly relying on Govt adverts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭archfi

Covid Byrne is back-ack-ack!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Like a red rag to a bull with you guys 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Whistling past the graveyard on the panel... Far right,sinister elements, and the new buzzword "tropes" even Gabi threw in that video made by that eegit abusing a migrant as if that was representative of the feeling among the general populace , all the usual nonsense .. Looks like the media and political classes here are extremely slow learners

Tropes - another American term unfortunately introduced here. The very ones complaining about the far right influence from America are the ones using imported American terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Does Claire pick the content and guests or would that be down to the production team? Lots of NK contributors almost every week but not sure whose responsibility it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjordan

Surprised there isn't any discussion on this morning show with Philip BH as Claire's stand in. It featured something of a car crash interview with Mary Conway of the Irish Property Owners Association who managed to talk herself into a series of indignant knots and uncomfortable silences, whilst trying to advance the interests of private landowners. Didn't cover herself or her organisation in glory and unlikely to elicit much sympathy from the general public even if some of the claims she made had a degree of validity.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

I only caught a small part of the debate but that was some bold statement she made regarding charity organisations manipulating homelessness figures to suit their own agenda/Government funding. Didn't catch if she elaborated on it when pushed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

An unbelievable display of ineptitude on national radio.

PBH gave up on her at the end to save further embarrassment.

My local TD, Cathal Crowe, wasn't too impressed at being named as a Sinn Féin TD today by PBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

She didn't, he moved on because she said (can't remember the exact words) she just wasn't going to elaborate/back up the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,106 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Another holiday for CB? kids must be off school.

Great jobs if you can get them. Amount of holidays these rte stars get is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

but that was some bold statement she made regarding charity organisations manipulating homelessness figures to suit their own agenda/Government funding.

It would be most naive not to think that could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Also a touch naive to make the allegation on national radio if not prepared to back it up.

She didn't really need to go that route when she had the Constitution at her back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Does anyone find her depressive?

She is clearly very clever but by God! She is a hard listen. She has no charm or lilt in her voice. It's as boring as hell. I always feel as if I am on a downer with her. Very little by the way of a spark or a witty comment or a joke . Too depressing to listen to. If it's not Brexit , it's coronavirus.

Advertisement