Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lions Tour

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Ruggabugga101

Hes misses a Lions your all for a micky mouse rainbow cup game - poor bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Gutted for him. Reminds me of Cian Healy getting injured in the first game in Australia, so much promise for a great Lion's tour cut short

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Hes misses a Lions your all for a micky mouse rainbow cup game - poor bastard.

Blessing in disguise maybe. Will miss out on the growth opportunity but he will be in better shape for ireland next year. Also we get to spread the risk keeping one tight head at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Biggar and Simmonds off injured today

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Blessing in disguise maybe. Will miss out on the growth opportunity but he will be in better shape for ireland next year. Also we get to spread the risk keeping one tight head at home.
    Gutted when I heard the news because I want Irish lads on tour, but I'm starting to think we are better off. We won the 6 Nations in 2014 and 2018 after having less guys than our rivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

It might be a blessing in for Ireland , but I'd say on a personal level he must be gutted, most players want to experience being a lion and to miss his chance due to a nothing cup must be very demoralizing. He's only 25 so hopefully he'll make the next one .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Biggar and Simmonds off injured today

Wonder if Sexton gets the nod if Biggar misses out. He hasn't played since the squad announcement. George Ford is the other option I guess.

Stander and Vunipola are possible options at number 8 I guess. If he still wants to go for a more like for like replacement for Simmonds, he could go for Fagerson maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    Wonder if Sexton gets the nod if Biggar misses out. He hasn't played since the squad announcement. George Ford is the other option I guess.

Stander and Vunipola are possible options at number 8 I guess. If he still wants to go for a more like for like replacement for Simmonds, he could go for Fagerson maybe.

He'd have to. Gatland would be nuts to not call him up at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »

If sexton is fit , there's no way Warren would pick Ford over him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭irelandrover

He'd have to. Gatland would be nuts to not call him up at that point.

Gatland said he wasnt brought as he wasnt reliable enough to be fit throughout. That hasnt changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,566 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Gatland said he wasnt brought as he wasnt reliable enough to be fit throughout. That hasnt changed.

Gatland wants to win . Think the injury stuff was a convenient excuse

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Biggar could be less reliable if he's injured now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭septictank

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Sexton is only listed as a maybe for the game against Dragons and hasn’t played in nearly 2 months. Gatland would be mad to consider bringing a player who has unresolved confusion issues.

• Advertisement

Ronan Kelleher with a bit of a curate's egg of an invitation

https://insider-voice.com/ronan-kelleher-joins-british-and-irish-lions-training-camp-in-jersey-as-a-prostitute-front-rugby-union-news/
    Irish prostitute Ronan Kelleher has joined a Lions training camp as cover, due to a shortage of prostitutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Someone used google translate from a French article then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Not really.

LCD and George not available yet. One gets injured or suspended and the replacement is already up to speed in the set up

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Not really.

LCD and George not available yet. One gets injured or suspended and the replacement is already up to speed in the set up

I think you need to read the comment again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Squad doing Altitude training

Can someone give me a quick overview of why that is ?. Would the climate be that different in South Africa even in there winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

PTH2009 wrote: »

Can someone give me a quick overview of why that is ?. Would the climate be that different in South Africa even in there winter

Altitude training isnt anything to do with climate, it’s related to oxygen levels with regards to height above sea level. As Jo’Burg is several thousand ft above sea level, any team that tours in SA will do this prior to departure. I think even the ‘97 touring squad done such training.

It’s an underestimated advantage SA have in the series that most of their squad will be well used to playing at height. It’s no coincidence that two tests are in Jo’Burg!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Most of the tour will be played over a mile above sea level. There's around 20% less oxygen in the atmosphere at that altitude than at sea level, so it's harder to breath, especially when your playing rugby.

The weather has nothing to do with it.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Johannesburg and Pretoria are both at fairly high altitude (~1700M and ~1300m above sea level respectively) so playing in both locations for players typically based 1000M+ lower in Europe would have an impact on Oxygen levels and intakes.

Basically , when you spend extended time at Altitude you produce more red blood cells to allow you to process/extract oxygen more efficiently as there is less oxygen per breath at those heights.

So - Someone just arriving from Dublin or London and hoping to play at 1700M above Sea level could expect to be completely gassed by half-time as they don't have enough red blood cells to extract the same amount of oxygen that they'd be getting at sea level.

Hence the need for preparation . In the past the tours were much longer so they could acclimatize somewhat naturally.

Equally , those moving from High to low altitude find it much easier on their systems as their high Red Blood cell count means they are super efficient with the higher oxygen levels available at sea level.

It's why all the distance runners do Altitude training before big competitions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's why all the distance runners do Altitude training before big competitions.

isnt the new thing to train at sea level and recover at altitude? cant for the life of me remember where i heard it being discussed but i have a recollection of this being the new theory, could have been on one of the rugby podcasts or maybe rogan (less likely as i dont really listen to him much anymore)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,037 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Did they do altitude training prior to the 2009 tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Did they do altitude training prior to the 2009 tour?
    From a quick google. they had plans to do a warm weather training camp at altitude in Spain but it didnt happen due to player unavailability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,910 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Thanks for the answers

Would the Southern Hempisphere teams do similar training for the Nov Internationals when they head here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Would the Southern Hempisphere teams do similar training for the Nov Internationals when they head here

Altitude training?

Thanks for the answers

I don't think you understood the answers. There is only one team that plays games at altitude. That is SA when playing on the High Veldt. Other teams need to acclimatise to the reduced levels of oxygen at altitude before travelling and playing at altitude. You don't need to do it at sea level (or close to it) where everyone else North and South plays because oxygen levels are normal.

So no, nobody needs to acclimatise to head North.

• Advertisement

I don't think you understood the answers. There is only one team that plays games at altitude. That is SA when playing on the High Veldt. Other teams need to acclimatise to the reduced levels of oxygen at altitude before travelling and playing at altitude. You don't need to do it at sea level (or close to it) where everyone else North and South plays because oxygen levels are normal.

Higher oxegen level in the blood would help shirt term.even if they came north to be fair. I'm not sure how long it lasts though

Higher oxegen level in the blood would help shirt term.even if they came north to be fair. I'm not sure how long it lasts though
    But they don't need to acclimatise to travel North, which was the question. And the Aussies, NZ and Argentina definitely don't because the don't play at altitude anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

But surely travelling North is going higher up, so it would be beneficial for SH teams to acclimatise to playing at altitude before November tests.

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

TRC10 wrote: »
    But surely travelling North is going higher up, so it would be beneficial for SH teams to acclimatise to playing at altitude before November tests.

:pac::pac:

Nope, because they are in the southern hemisphere things are inverted, so when they come to play here in November they are actually going down - so no altitude worries

KevinK wrote: »
    Nope, because they are in the southern hemisphere things are inverted, so when they come to play here in November they are actually going down - so no altitude worries

Altitude is height above sea level, irrespective of whether it is northern or Southern Hemisphere. If any of the venues are high above sea level, altitude may be an issue as air is thinner.

Argentina sometimes play in Salta which is similar in altitude to Pretoria

Dav010 wrote: »
    Altitude is height above sea level, irrespective of whether it is northern or Southern Hemisphere. If any of the venues are high above sea level, altitude may be an issue as air is thinner.
    Whoosh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭crisco10

isnt the new thing to train at sea level and recover at altitude? cant for the life of me remember where i heard it being discussed but i have a recollection of this being the new theory, could have been on one of the rugby podcasts or maybe rogan (less likely as i dont really listen to him much anymore)

I heard Sonia O'Sullivan chatting about it a few weeks ago on a running podcast. I think it's more about not training TOO high that your performance drops so much that it's useless. A lot of altitude training camps have the accommodation as high as possible to maximise the oxygen deprivation during recovery and rest, but actual sessions are a bit down the mountain (so still at altitude).

Whoosh!

Sorry, I did wonder if it was serious and didn’t read lead up, my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

Dav010 wrote: »
    Sorry, I did wonder if it was serious and didn’t read lead up, my bad.

Ah was a silly comment on my behalf, the previous comment had made me smile and figured why not add to it.... but not really adding much to the thread.

inverted.jpeg

Ah was a silly comment on my behalf, the previous comment had made me smile and figured why not add to it.... but not really adding much to the thread.

It reminded me of a funny clip I saw with a South African player talking about some of the funny things that happened during his career. He mentioned a scene on a bus during SA’s trip to play Ireland, as the players were driving along the coast from their hotel to Landsdowne Road, Percy Montgomery (the SA version of Trigger McAteer) asked if anyone knew if the game was being played at altitude. There was silence, then an eruption on the bus as the guy behind him turned Percy’s head to face the sea which was a few meters away.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,850 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if anyone's interested in joining a predictor game for the Lions Tour....

Join boards.ie Lions Tour, my Lions Tour Predictor league on @Superbru! You can find my pool here:

https://www.superbru.com/lions_tour_predictor/pool.php?p=12357508

or by downloading the Superbru app and searching for the pool with code:

sagotaps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

theres another boards.ie group on superbru for predicting results

code to join pool is emitiris

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Odds on the outhalf for the 1st test v Sa have changed. Biggar is now at even money and Farrell is 2/1. Seems the odds are leaning more towards Farrell. Any thoughts on who'll start at 10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Odds on the outhalf for the 1st test v Sa have changed. Biggar is now at even money and Farrell is 2/1. Seems the odds are leaning more towards Farrell. Any thoughts on who'll start at 10?

Considering gats is picking and Farrell was poor in the 6 nations is playing rugby against plumbers and milkmen I’m surprised Farrell is 2/1.

I’m wondering would he consider playing Simmons at 6. He could be a real handful at 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Considering gats is picking and Farrell was poor in the 6 nations is playing rugby against plumbers and milkmen I’m surprised Farrell is 2/1.

I’m wondering would he consider playing Simmons at 6. He could be a real handful at 6.

Farrell is 2nd favourite to start in the centre after Henshaw. Based on his form in the 6 nations I don't think he merited a place in the squad.

Can't see Simmonds starting at 6. I think Beirne will start because of his work at the breakdown and he's also a line out option

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Farrell is 2nd favourite to start in the centre after Henshaw. Based on his form in the 6 nations I don't think he merited a place in the squad.

Can't see Simmonds starting at 6. I think Beirne will start because of his work at the breakdown and he's also a line out option

I don’t think Simmons is going to be first choice to play in the tests. It’s one thing bringing him on tour. It’s another giving a fella his first international game in years in a lions test.

Beirne on the other hand has a great chance of starting in the tests

I don’t think Simmons is going to be first choice to play in the tests. It’s one thing bringing him on tour. It’s another giving a fella his first international game in years in a lions test.

Beirne on the other hand has a great chance of starting in the tests

Yeah I think it's very telling that there's no "out and out" 6s in the squad....yet there's 6 locks, 4 of whom can play at blindside (Itoje, Henderson, Lawes and Beirne).

The make up of the 2nd row and back row is going to be the most fascinating selection IMO.

I think "Out and out 6s" are becoming a thing of the past a bit really. Most teams are moving away from a Ruddock/O'Mahony/Robshaw/Kaino/Elsom type player, and using either a 3rd Lock like Lawes/Fardy/Du Toit/Beirne or playing with a 2nd Openside like Pocock/Curry/Navidi/Savea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think blindside is a straight shoot out between Lawes and Beirne. Lawes is a real dark horse to be in the 6 jersey. Gatland is a fan and he was a test Lion in 2017. All of his recent caps for England have come at blindside and given his injury interrupted season, he's going to be fresh and raring to go when they touch down in SA.

With the options that the Lions have selected at 7 and 8, I can't see the Lions going with anything but a big unit at blindside against PSDT and co.

• Advertisement
Advertisement