Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Great Big Lawnmower Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/homeowner/support/dealer-locator/?dealer=49005

Got it here. :D

Just check when you are ringing them whether the price includes VAT or not.

With me they price the quoted first was Ex VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭Manuel

Back to ride-ons ;) ...

I have been browsing this and other forums, and I have a question:

I read people dissing the rear discharge "chute" mowers for always clogging up in our beautiful Irish summer mowing weather, and indeed I have had this experience too when using borrowed ride-ons.

But what is the alternative, and I presume it will cost more?

One thing I have noticed going around to all the local dealers is the domestic ride-ons available for a certain cost (2-3K) seem to be basically all the bloomin same, with the only real variation being HP ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Rear Discharge Chutes are ok imho, depending on the brand/design.
    Rear side chutes up long side chutes into bags are crap, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

Manuel wrote: »
    Back to ride-ons ;) ...

I have been browsing this and other forums, and I have a question:

I read people dissing the rear discharge "chute" mowers for always clogging up in our beautiful Irish summer mowing weather, and indeed I have had this experience too when using borrowed ride-ons.

But what is the alternative, and I presume it will cost more?

One thing I have noticed going around to all the local dealers is the domestic ride-ons available for a certain cost (2-3K) seem to be basically all the bloomin same, with the only real variation being HP ....
    snapper ride-on isn't the same.

side discharge collectors are usually only suitable for dry grass as found in the U.S. during summer. Not suitable for our damp grass.
    some side discharge are better than others. If it is a single blade deck and the chute doesn't have elbows on it then it'll probably be OK.
    double or triple bladed decks with side discharge collector will not work well in Ireland.

John Deere or Twin Cut rear discharge collectors work well. some of the cheaper american made rear discharge machines don't work as well.

Lawn sweepers regardless of whether they are drawn behind the mower or powered by the mower are uniformly rubbish.

All good angles there from MM.
    The thing I find about lawnmowers is the ability of their owner/operators to use them properly.
    Like I know a bloke who has one and is always giving out feck about the blockage of grass from the side discharge chute.
    Nothing to do with the fact that he always goes to mow the lawn when the grass is damp??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Rear side chutes up long side chutes into bags are crap, end of.

can someone please tell me, whats the purpose of that design...cause i'm baffled by it:confused:

fryup wrote: »
    can someone please tell me, whats the purpose of that design...cause i'm baffled by it:confused:
    it's perfectly adequate for most of U.S. during the summer but once grass is heavy, moist and sticky like here in Ireland it is useless.
    it's easier and cheaper to design a deck where blades rotate in one direction which is why system is preferred from a cost point of view.

Machines like the twin cut and john deere have a more complicated setup with toothed belts driving contra rotating timed blades which work better but are more expensive to engineer.

Final question:
    I've come across a used Castelgarden 13.5/102 which is coming into a local dealer as a trade-in. He has serviced it himself since new so stands over it, changed the belt in it last year. It's 5 years old, so now I'm wondering how many more years am I likely to get out of it if looked after? Second-hand price is tempting, even though a big hardware shop not far away are selling off their last 13.5/90s for 1699. They're manual, as is the used one I'm looking at.

Thanks. Appreciate all the great advice.

check rear axle/gearbox; that's what takes most stress on a TwinCut.
    If the bag is torn that will be big expense to replace.

• Advertisement

Manuel, I'd Buy the new one for €1699 - and ask for 2 years warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dub14

Hi - i'm new here and looking for a bit of help

I've a brand new McCulloch 40-450C and I used it for the first time today and it has all ceased up on me. I didnt (I know !!!) check for oil before I used it. I have checked now and while it isnt dry it isn't full either.

If I have ceased the engine is that something I can fix (or get fixed) or is it an expensive mistake on my part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

seems so, I personally know lots of deal to be had. Seems you're not in the know thats all but then I have been wheeling and dealing in gardencare equip a few years on and off and know a few contacts. If you think I'm bul****ting you fair enough but there's a whole world out there outsdie Kildare you know!

Just back from a week's holiday and am checking up on some posts. Didn't mean to infer that anyone was bullsh1tting about prices etc but was just reporting on my frustrating experiences with several lawn mower sales centres here in north Kildare. While these guys appeared to have loads of stock lying round the place, and I was the only guy in their store, they just wouldn't entertain any reduction in their asking price. Even when I asked for an extended warranty (bearing in mind that the mowing season is coming to an end and so the mower won't be used over the winter) they also refused to budge on extending the warranty to at least 18 months. I walked away and left them to their mowers but it was a reminder that the Celtic Tiger days of wanting top dollar for everything are not entirely gone yet.

As for buying outside Kildare, I did consider buying up north but if something goes wrong and I can't fix it myself, then it'd be a long trek back up north to get it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 whats a board?

Hello.

I am wanting to buy a lawnmower but I am not sure about which ones are good and reliable.

I live in a regular house and my back garden maybe 1/8 of an acre and front garden is less.

Yet mowing the grass is a chore. What I am looking for is a petrol lawnmower that makes it easy and that will last for a very long time(perhaps a decade or two). It has to be at least 18" cutting width.

My budget is around €400 but I don't want to overpay for something, that is I don't want to pay €400 for something which is not worth it. I am not sure about which ones are reliable....

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/shopping.a...catid=102.10.1
    user_online.gifreport.gif quote.gif

Just back from a week's holiday and am checking up on some posts. Didn't mean to infer that anyone was bullsh1tting about prices etc but was just reporting on my frustrating experiences with several lawn mower sales centres here in north Kildare. While these guys appeared to have loads of stock lying round the place, and I was the only guy in their store, they just wouldn't entertain any reduction in their asking price. Even when I asked for an extended warranty (bearing in mind that the mowing season is coming to an end and so the mower won't be used over the winter) they also refused to budge on extending the warranty to at least 18 months. I walked away and left them to their mowers but it was a reminder that the Celtic Tiger days of wanting top dollar for everything are not entirely gone yet.

As for buying outside Kildare, I did consider buying up north but if something goes wrong and I can't fix it myself, then it'd be a long trek back up north to get it fixed.

no worries - but for the same token the way they're sorting you on price, there's no guarantee they'd be any use to you after sales warranty/service.
    Heading up north could well be in your favour, what you'd save would buy you a nice trailer for the car for the run if you don't have one already.:)
    Like those head up their arse dealers don't deserve you hard earned.

Still haven't purchased :rolleyes: but just wondering if any of you out there possess a Partner ride-on? It's the best price I've got for the spec. Unfortunately it would be coming from the warehouse so I haven't actually seen it. Apparently the brand is a part of Husqvarna Group, so they should be ok I guess. Just looking for some reassurrance cos I can't find any reviews online ....
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whytie99

that Partner mower is an AYP rebadged I'm 99% sure on that-I have another rebadged version ofthe same mower. It's been grand but spare parts have been problematic. If you hve a guy who can service the brand and get spare parts then it's a grand mower to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Scouserfan

Need to buy my first ride-on before next spring and have looked at this model. We have 3 acres which we will probably fence off to about 1 acre of lawn(when it is finished). Want to buy a decent mnower now and not have to be trading up every so often. Going to cost approx 5,500 to buy new.
    Am I mad ?
    Is it a good price or can I do better ?
    Is it worth the extra ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 whytie99

sounds like a mad amount of money-at least double what a good ride on would cost.

I know but I want this to last for years and am told that the only used kubotas around are ancient because they last so long

Well, kutoba's do last but so do Iseki's and proper John Deere's.
    Basically what you want is a professional built commercial machine that landscapers/contacter would use/buy to use daily - then you'd have a machine to last you over a decade or even 2 if you maintain and use it properly.

• Advertisement

Well, kutoba's do last but so do Iseki's and proper John Deere's.
    Basically what you want is a professional built commercial machine that landscapers/contacter would use/buy to use daily - then you'd have a machine to last you over a decade or even 2 if you maintain and use it properly.
    friend of mine bought a john deere but said it is a nightmare when it comes to picing up wet or damp grass. it is not designed to do so apparently being an american machine. it is a direct rear chute machine also, not a side exit.

Scouserfan wrote: »
    friend of mine bought a john deere but said it is a nightmare when it comes to picing up wet or damp grass. it is not designed to do so apparently being an american machine. it is a direct rear chute machine also, not a side exit.

if you want a mower to collect wet grass, then its 12k you'd need to be spending.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

My lawnmower is giving me grief when starting. Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Before pulling the rip cord I need to press the plunger a few times to start it. This squirts a small amount of petrol into the intake. It also appears to start some sort of siphon from the tank which is necessary to keep the petrol flowing from the tank.

My problem is that this plunger is no longer effective. I can pump it hundreds of times and no petrol is drawn up. So it sounds that perhaps I have some sort of air/vacuum leak. The thing is, if I remove the small carburettor and then reattach it the primer works. Then I can start the engine and it runs perfectly. If I stop the mower and leave it for an hour it will start again but it does take a quite a few pumps of the primer before I can feel resistance and hear the petrol being squirted. If I leave the mower overnight then the problem is back and I need to remove & refit the carb to get it started.

I have checked the gasket between the carb and the tank and appears OK. I have also attempted to start the engine by first pouring a small amount of petrol down the carb but the engine only runs until the small amount of petrol is used so I reckon that the primer also gets some sort of siphon going.

The lawnmower has a Briggs & Stratton 3.5HP 4 stroke engine if that's of any help.

Any suggestions or comments as to how to fix it would be appreciated. I'm getting sick of having to remove and refit the carb every time I want to cut the grass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Have you pulled the carb apart and checked that there is no debris in the carb galleries?
    I would do this, and also order a new carb gasket kit and fit it.
    Also remove the fuel tank and rinse it out with clean petrol, the carb is part of the tank and can pick up crap out of the tank.
    Start with a clean tank and carb and if it is still doing it then maybe fit a part from a scrapped mower, plenty around.
    I could get an old one if you needed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Cheers. Maybe I'll start with a new gasket kit.

Any ideas where I'd get one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would say nearly any shop that services Lawnmowers. B+S 3.5HP is a Very common engine.
    Maybe €10 for the kit? I am not sure but it shouldnt be much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

Lidl had a hand mower for sale last week.

Did anyone buy one and if so, is it any good?

They also sold a power mower for €100. Same question as above...

Thanks. btw, I have a small lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

I have a Toro mower - 5 years old. Never gave any trouble - until now. The canvas bag is torn - the plastic base has split in several places. Phoned the dealer I bought it from and asked for a new bag - just the bag itself - not the steel frame. He checked out the price and called me back - the distributors wanted €106 for it.

To be fair to the dealer, he was appalled at the price as well. Has anyone any ideas as to where I might buy a bag online?

Poulgorm wrote: »
    I have a Toro mower - 5 years old. Never gave any trouble - until now. The canvas bag is torn - the plastic base has split in several places. Phoned the dealer I bought it from and asked for a new bag - just the bag itself - not the steel frame. He checked out the price and called me back - the distributors wanted €106 for it.

To be fair to the dealer, he was appalled at the price as well. Has anyone any ideas as to where I might buy a bag online?

Well, bar forking out the €106, have you considered getting one made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 lionbok2009

Hi Guys,

Could someone tell me how to repair small electric flymo mower? the thing is the mower only works when i tug the wire above my head. i checked the wires inside and they are all properly connected, any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 899 ✭✭✭bauderline

Folks,

I have salvaged a petrol flymo (circa 1985) that my mother was about to dump in the skip, it runs but needs a good overhaul. I always though they were a nice handy yoke for doing certain parts of the garden and would like to get this one fixed.

Any suggestions of where I can source parts and/or get it repaired by someone who knows what they are doing ?

Dublin / North East / North West would all be suitable for me if you are suggesting anyone.

Thanks a million.

P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,918 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Poulgorm wrote: »

There are often Toro parts on ebay. Use ebay.co.uk . So many items are not listed on the irish site. The postage won't be much on a bag so see what the UK Toro dealers will charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

Discodog wrote: »
    There are often Toro parts on ebay. Use ebay.co.uk . So many items are not listed on the irish site. The postage won't be much on a bag so see what the UK Toro dealers will charge.

Thank you for that, Discodog: I will give it a try

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭newbuild06

Morning all
    Just a quick query, we have a fairly big site but i want to get a self propelled lawn mower to cut it, should keep me fit.
    I want to get one that both cuts and mulches, not too bothered if it is new or second hand as long as it is reliable.
    I have about €350 to spend would anyone know of a good mower that i could get ?

thanks
    NB06

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Hi folks I have a ride on lawnmower and rather than disconnecting the battery over the winter I said I'd start it every week to keep the battery charged. Needless to say I left it a few weeks over the cold weather and now it's dead. All I'm getting is a clicking sound which I presume means the battery is dead. What is the best option from here? Can they be jumped?
    Cheers

Yes they can but it would be better to give it a long trickle charge.

Discodog wrote: »
    Yes they can but it would be better to give it a long trickle charge.

Cheers what's a long trickle charge exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

I know with my Castlegarden ride on , I got a plug in battery charger with the mower. Thankfully haven't had to use it yet, I have also been running it for 10 mins each week over the winter.

Secman

TheBazman wrote: »
    Cheers what's a long trickle charge exactly?

Use a car battery charger that has a trickle charge setting & is self regulating. Most battery chargers will do this. Then leave it on charge for a couple of days.

You can jump it & rely on mowing the lawn to charge the battery but it may not do the battery a lot of good.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭danyosan

I'm hovering between a simplicity 18.5HP dedicated mulcher and a 19HP snapper with mulching kit.

The simplicity is €3150
    The snapper is €3000

Which one should I go for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

danyosan wrote: »
    I'm hovering between a simplicity 18.5HP dedicated mulcher and a 19HP snapper with mulching kit.

The simplicity is €3150
    The snapper is €3000

Which one should I go for?

Hi Danny,

I just sent you a private message. I'm in the business and would be happy to do a fellow boards member a good turn. As it happens, I'm both a Snapper and a Simplicity dealer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

bauderline wrote: »
    Folks,

I have salvaged a petrol flymo (circa 1985) that my mother was about to dump in the skip, it runs but needs a good overhaul. I always though they were a nice handy yoke for doing certain parts of the garden and would like to get this one fixed.

Any suggestions of where I can source parts and/or get it repaired by someone who knows what they are doing ?

Dublin / North East / North West would all be suitable for me if you are suggesting anyone.

Thanks a million.

P.

You're local Husqvarna or Jonsered dealer is also the local Flymo, Partner and McCullough dealer too. They'll get you whatever parts you require. To find you're nearest dealer, check out www.forestandgarden.ie for a full list of nationwide dealers.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭secman

Saw an advert in one of the sunday papers yesterday, think it was Business Post, a special on Husqvarna ride on up to 31st March, region of €1,500. Seems very good value.

Secman

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

For those of us with small gardens, what are the best mowers? I'm talking about your average 3\4 bedroom house in an estate.

Wheeled or hover?
    Electric or petrol?
    Any particular make?

I've always gone with Flymo hovers but the last time I got a 'compact' version and I don;t think it's very good. Any suggestions? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I was wondering if anybody would be able to help me pick out a mower. We have about 1/2->3/4 of an acre to mow. So im looking for a powerfull, powered walk-along mower. Currently, the models I have been looking at in my local area are as follows:

"Active" (Im told that they used to be called Harry), Briggs + Stratton 6Hp engine, 21" cut, Alloy deck, €675.

Honda, Honda engine, 6Hp , 21" cut, Steel deck, €670.

Oleo Mac, Briggs and Stratton, 21" cut, 6.75Hp, Alloy deck, €695.

Snapper, Briggs and Stratton, 21" cut, 6Hp, Steel deck, €620.

Snapper, Briggs and Stratton, 22" cut, 7Hp, Alloy deck, €750.

Masport, Briggs and stratton, 20", 6.75Hp, Steel deck, €690

Murray, Briggs and Stratton, 22", 6.75, Steel deck, €550

CastleGarden, Briggs and Stratton, 20", 6.75Hp, Steel Deck, €550

Basically, i just want to find out the most reliable. Im leaning on getting the Active, as it has the Alloy deck and the Honda doesnt, although im not sure about the brand, does anybody know about them?
    Im told that the new Snapper lawn mowers arent half as reliable as the old ones since they started making them in China, is this true?
    Are the Oleo-Mac, Castlegarden walk along mowers, and Masport lawn mowers any good?

And finally, does anybody know of any good website that might be cheaper that delivers to the Rep. of Ireland? Ive had a look at http://www.esaleslocal.com/pedmowers.htm that deliver from the north to the south for 20€ and was wondering if there are any more like it?

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Hi Folks wondered if you advise me on which lawnmower to buy. I have a hovermover and tbh its the biggest pce of crap ever. I have been saying for years I will change it. I believe honestly its not my mower but more my garden so perhaps I am being bad to it.

Anyway I am considering something with 4 wheels and petrol for the power.

My budget is little so was looking at the following..... Feel free to laugh ye pros's

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=7678&loc=P&catid=102.10.1

This one has a plastic deck which while it should not rust I imagine it will be fragile if i stand on it in the shed.... It cost 150 Euro

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7300411/Trail/C$cip=1500029960%3EC$cip=1500030013.htm

I like the fact this is self propelled although no fook all about them after that.

What concerns me about buying any of these is life span in the parts like the blades and availability of blades etc. My instinct says as soon as o get the mower buy a spare blade and coat it in oil to protect it.

Would you go for one of these and if not why not...

Is there a better lawnmower around the same price. For example is the lidl lawmower a better offer... Granted it does not pop up much. I can wait.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7303951/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/2%7Ccat_14418702%7CLawnmowers%7C14418813/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418813%7CPetrol+mowers%7C14418820.htm

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7302859/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/2%7Ccat_14418702%7CLawnmowers%7C14418813/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418813%7CPetrol+mowers%7C14418820.htm

Sorry another 2 I spotted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

hi
    SchrodingersCat I can recomend Honda lawnmower. we are using 2 hondas lawnmowers ( one 5years old, second 2 years old) in the season 5 days a week, and they are still going well. no problems at all, just need remember about the service, change the oil, clean the air filter. good luck with the choice

Joey the lips You will never get very good petrol lawnmower for less than 200e, but If you dont wont spend more and you have small garden this lawnmower should be good enought for you. she has 1 lever cutting height adjuster what is very comfortable, and is self drive.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7300411/Trail/C$cip=1500029960>C$cip=1500030013.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

hi
    SchrodingersCat I can recomend Honda lawnmower. we are using 2 hondas lawnmowers ( one 5years old, second 2 years old) in the season 5 days a week, and they are still going well. no problems at all, just need remember about the service, change the oil, clean the air filter. good luck with the choice

Joey the lips You will never get very good petrol lawnmower for less than 200e, but If you dont wont spend more and you have small garden this lawnmower should be good enought for you. she has 1 lever cutting height adjuster what is very comfortable, and is self drive.
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7300411/Trail/C$cip=1500029960%3EC$cip=1500030013.htm

Will you repost that link again thanks.

actually forget that... It worked.

What in your opinion is a good cheap lawnmower over the 200 mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

Hi Joey
    I didnt say that you can get good lawnmower for 200e, good small lawnmower cost about 400e http://http://www.almachinery.ie/sites/productdetails.aspx?p=1049
    but probably you dont need lawnmower like this one above, because you gonna use lawnmower once a week for 15 min or mayby even every second week. I just wonna say that you can go for this lawnmower from argos
    http://http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7300411/Trail/C$cip=1500029960%3EC$cip=1500030013.htm
    and she will work well in your garden and will be much better than electrical one. just remember to check oil before each cutting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement