Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"How was that their highest charting single?"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Canadian band Simple Plan were quite popular with pop punk fans in the early 00s with songs like I'd Do Anything, Shut Up and I'm Just a Kid, but it wasn't until 2008 and 2012 that they would reach the UK top 40 with "When I'm Gone" (#26) and the Sean Paul collaboration "Summer Paradise" (#12) respectively.

The Trammps are easily best known for their 1977 disco hit "Disco Inferno", but believe it or not it never made the UK top 10! It only peaked at #16.

The band outcharted it with the less well-known "Hold Back the Night", which reached #5 in 1975.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,857 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Alvin Stardust will forever be remembered for the classic ‘My Coo Ca Choo’... :cool:

Yet it only reached number two in the UK singles chart. His follow-up single that NOBODY remembers, ‘Jealous Mind’, hit the top spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Alvin Stardust will forever be remembered for the classic ‘My Coo Ca Choo’... :cool:

Yet it only reached number two in the UK singles chart. His follow-up single that NOBODY remembers, ‘Jealous Mind’, hit the top spot!

I mentioned that in Post 9 back in 2018!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106420922

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

The only non-collaborative single from the Pogues to reach the UK Top 20 was "Tuesday Morning", which peaked at no. 18 in 1993. It featured Spider Stacey on vocals, as Shane McG was outside the wire at that time.

A fine song, which I really like, but nobody appears to have much recall for it

• Advertisement

BOSTIK wrote: »
    The only non-collaborative single from the Pogues to reach the UK Top 20 was "Tuesday Morning", which peaked at no. 18 in 1993. It featured Spider Stacey on vocals, as Shane McG was outside the wire at that time.

I've heard it on Non Stop 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,782 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in fairness "Fairytale" is a Pogues record that features Kirsty MacColl rather than a full collaboration.

MacColl's own biggest hit was "A New England" which is pretty well known, but for some reason I though her cover of "Days" had done better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I've heard it on Non Stop 90s.

I included it on Part 1 of my More Forgotten '90s series

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

Betty Boo's Doin' the Do reached no 7 in summer 1990. That was outcharted by the less remembered follow up single Where are you baby which reached no 3. she never made the top ten after that

All I Really Want to know is what's the highest charting UK hit from Jagged Little Pill?

You Oughta Know it's not Ironic

Or Hand In My Pocket

You'll Learn it's this one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

All I Really Want to know is what's the highest charting UK hit from Jagged Little Pill?

You Oughta Know it's not Ironic

Or Hand In My Pocket

You'll Learn it's this one

Yeah that's a pretty unremarkable song. Her highest charting song in UK overall is Thank You from the next album in 1998. If it weren't for the video of nekkid Alanis I'd say people would be asking why it got to no 5

You knew it was 2011 when Royseven's "We Should Be Lovers" was everywhere. The recently reformed Dublin six-piece had the most played song by an Irish artist on the radio that year. But this wasn't reflected in its chart position - it only reached #16.

The band outcharted it by TEN positions, for two weeks no less, in September of 2006, with the almost completely forgotten track, "Older".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

On the phone, so can't double-check to see if it's been posted already, but I learned today that Neil Diamond had ten #1 singles in the US - none of which were 'Sweet Caroline', which only made it to #4

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ha watched Alan partridge last night “you can keep your Jesus here’s the real king of the Jews Neil diamond”

El Tarangu wrote: »
    On the phone, so can't double-check to see if it's been posted already, but I learned today that Neil Diamond had ten #1 singles in the US - none of which were 'Sweet Caroline', which only made it to #4

Just looked it up, he only had 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Just looked it up, he only had 3.

Cheers - i came across it on a podcast, so perhaps they were just using a figurative 'ten'.

The UK chart peaks of George Michael's Listen Without Prejudice singles is surprising, and gives an inaccurate picture of the overall success, popularity and lasting impact of that era - given how much the album sold

Praying For Time #6
    Waiting For That Day #23
    Freedom! 90 #28
    Heal The Pain #31
    Cowboys And Angels #45

Then look at the Older era from 1996/1997

Jesus To A Child #1
    Fastlove #1
    Spinning The Wheel #2
    Older #3
    Star People '97 #2
    You Have Been Loved / The Strangest Thing #2

The power of promotional vidoes, extra B-sides, mixes, multiple formats and tempting prices (the cheap era of two part CD singles for no more than £1.99) - whereas Listen Without Prejudice had one music video between all the singles and mostly instrumentals as B-sides.

The UK chart peaks of George Michael's Listen Without Prejudice singles is surprising, and gives an inaccurate picture of the overall success, popularity and lasting impact of that era - given how much the album sold

Praying For Time #6
    Waiting For That Day #23
    Freedom! 90 #28
    Heal The Pain #31
    Cowboys And Angels #45

Jesus To A Child #1
    Fastlove #1
    Spinning The Wheel #2
    Older #3
    Star People '97 #2

The power of promotional vidoes, extra B-sides, mixes, multiple formats and tempting prices (the cheap era of two part CD singles for no more than £1.99) - whereas Listen Without Prejudice had one music video between all the singles and mostly instrumentals as B-sides.

That's interesting.

British industrial band Nitzer Ebb had a few songs in the lower reaches of the UK charts, but their signature "Join In the Chant" never charted there at all.
    Their three top 75 hits are "Ascend", "Godhead" and "Kick It", peaking at #52, #56 and #75 respectively.

U2, from a relatively early stage in their career, had plenty of hits in Ireland - the big fish in a small pond syndrome! Their first Number 1 single in Ireland was The Unforgettable Fire in 1985. The Joshua Tree album was of course a major breakthrough for them worldwide, spawning two Number 1 singles in the US.

Like Ireland, in the UK, U2 had a number of hits before that breakthrough album. What is a surprise is that Desire in 1988 was their first Number One single in the UK.

• Advertisement

Portishead's "Sour Times" is the only US top 100 single by the band, outperforming their most famous song "Glory Box". In the UK, "All Mine" was their only top 10, reaching #8.

Ultravox had just one entry on the Billboard Hot 100, and it was not "Dancing with Tears in My Eyes", which only bubbled under at #108, or "Vienna", which didn't chart at all in the US. Instead, it was the forgotten "Reap The Wild Wind"(#71). Averted by the former two songs in their native UK, where they were both Top 10 hits.

The original most-played version of I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers stalled in the UK Charts at Number 11 in 1988. Their first hit single was Letter from America which reached Number 3. Another of their singles, King of The Road, reached Number 9. It wasn't until they re-recorded I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) for Comic Relief in 2007 that it actually reached Number 1, but it's still the original version that gets the most play.

The original most-played version of I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) by The Proclaimers stalled in the UK Charts at Number 11 in 1988. Their first hit single was Letter from America which reached Number 3. Another of their singles, King of The Road, reached Number 9. It wasn't until they re-recorded I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) for Comic Relief in 2007 that it actually reached Number 1, but it's still the original version that gets the most play.

Never knew that!

Eo03VhZW4A88JHG?format=jpg&name=large

In this winter 1988 face-off, you had (I’m Gonna Be) 500 Miles on Now 13 and Sunshine On Leith on Hits 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Praying For Time #6
    Waiting For That Day #23
    Freedom! 90 #28
    Heal The Pain #31
    Cowboys And Angels #45

Jesus To A Child #1
    Fastlove #1
    Spinning The Wheel #2
    Older #3
    Star People '97 #2

I never knew 'Older' did so much better than 'Listen Without Prejudice' - an album I must have played every day for a year :o LWP is far superior, imo.

I guess it had to do with being quite far removed from his previous album 'Faith' which had a much more commercial pop edge to it.

Stiff Little Fingers had 3 UK top 40 singles - but none of these were "Alternative Ulster" or "Suspect Device". Their only top 20 hit was the #15 "At the Edge".

"Just Fade Away", which never reached the top 40, was in the charts for longer than "Nobody's Hero", which did reach the top 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

No surprise really. Most people in the UK dont realize Ulster is in the UK and would not understand the language of the troubles so wouldn't get the double entendres of Suspect Device

• Registered Users Posts: 20,341 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Manic Street Preachers have, according to wikipedia, the record for most top 40 songs in the UK with 34. However, they have only had 2 number 1s

Some of their big radio play songs didnt get there like Motorcyle Emptiness(#17), A Design of Life(#2), Kevin Carter(#9), Australia(#7), Everything must go(#5), You Stole the sun from my heart(#5), Tsunami(#11) or Your love alone is not enough(#2).

The number ones were "If you tolerate this, your children will be next" (fair enough) and "Masses against the classes" (instantly forgotten)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,504 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

2 great songs and really surprised they were number ones as they would be pretty political and not the most pop friendly. If I had to guess I would have said Your Love Alone and Everything Must go or maybe Design for Life

No way in hell Masses is instantly forgotten either

Advertisement