Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I did something in my Garden

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Been a busy 2 days in the garden.
    Had more beds of spuds, some seeds and the rest of the beds broadforked.
    Also got 4 loads of woodchip down on the paths a
    Everything covered in case of Frost this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

If I can get myself up and out early enough tomorrow, I might be able to get one of them finished before the weather changes.

Mission accomplished ... even though I didn't manage to get up early :pac: and despite revising the "pillar" design to be lower and longer than originally planned (it's essentially a short retaining wall now).

The change in the weather has been postponed (our met office is gradually forecasting less and less precipitation - we might get a few mm by the end of the week :( ) but I'm all out of "fresh" stone, so this seems like a good time to do something different for a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

larch timber charred it and sealed it with osmo oil.

Did you char the timber yourself? And if so, how - it looks like there was a lot to treat? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Did you char the timber yourself? And if so, how - it looks like there was a lot to treat? :)

Used a roofing torch and tank of propane. It took about 5 hours to do it all. But it was kind of therapeutic... id never used one before its handy enough, I did have a bucket of water and the hose next to me incase I set myself on fire :)

Finished the kids' play area this morning, adding a mud kitchen and a border from leftover cobble lock paving stones to retain the mulch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNSP6T_hsro/

I made a start on moving this greenhouse, I got all the glass off it, will dismantle the frame next weekend the house has been closed up for about a decade so some of the panels have been broken but still will be a cheap greenhouse once i get it moved.

also got a few free pots from the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Finished weeding the Forth Bridge long border. Finally got round to planting a good few of the garden centre's worth of plants waiting for a home.

Put down about 35kg of maincrop spuds today. Carlos. Sarpo mira, fir apples and blue Danube. Broadforked the beds first. It really is a greet piece of equipment ðŸ˜

Also pulled up the last of last years parsnips.

did you sow the spuds by hand?

I planted 3kg and am seriously thinking about investing in a small potato planter in the future if go over 10kg of seed spuds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Finished the kids' play area this morning, adding a mud kitchen and a border from leftover cobble lock paving stones to retain the mulch.

Great job!

Side note: can I ask how the cobble lock drive way went and if you were given a square metre cost? Hoping to get a quote for ours this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Zardaz

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNSP6T_hsro/

I made a start on moving this greenhouse, I got all the glass off it, will dismantle the frame next weekend the house has been closed up for about a decade so some of the panels have been broken but still will be a cheap greenhouse once i get it moved.

also got a few free pots from the yard.

What a jungle! Good find all the same.
    Try and keep the gable frames intact when moving it.
    The old aluminium bolts might be a bit corroded together, and might shear off on you. So the less unbolting you have to do, the better.
    You'll still probably have to buy some spare bolts and clips and seals.

• Advertisement

Great job!

Side note: can I ask how the cobble lock drive way went and if you were given a square metre cost? Hoping to get a quote for ours this year.

Very happy with it. Shop around for the stone you use. Some fade quicker than others and some have colour guarantees. I've cleaned it with washing powder once and haven't had any issue with weeds. Down 18 months now.

I didn't get a cost per sqm as there was a few other bits tied into the job.

Zardaz wrote: »
    What a jungle! Good find all the same.
    Try and keep the gable frames intact when moving it.
    The old aluminium bolts might be a bit corroded together, and might shear off on you. So the less unbolting you have to do, the better.
    You'll still probably have to buy some spare bolts and clips and seals.

The cottage went upfor sale about a decade ago, a farmer bought is for the land( about 30 acres) and its been closed up since, which is a pity its the last mud walled cottage in the area. I remembered the woman who lived in it gardening so said id ask about the glass house and save a few euros

I've managed to save most of the clips, the seal is gone in a few places alright

between that and replacing a few panes it'll still be a cheap enough greenhouse.

Its funny how rural areas are though a neighbour pulled up while i was working at it and had a chat about how the garden used to look

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

I gave me ma a dig out by visiting all her plants in pots. She had not idea she had so many pots until I brought them all into a central spot/workstation.

Stuff got planted out or divided up, fresh mix went in and old mix went under hedges and into bags depending on hazard or not. A lot of roots were teased and drainage improved, all top dressed, really looking forward to forthcoming bang off this work.

IMG-4978.jpg

IMG-4981.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

:( did a bit of diggin today and snap!

how do i get the broken bit out of a fork??

TeHgMC1c6c9UMGz91psHlwwm5OdvEB5TrqruaqQnh2gXqzt8dCZYn-p2qdQYLhwsxYqGDRk7MDngKA0p7O3M-lRCtEgnywqx6Y5RKK1HsWKcOpOTmKo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

You could try drill it out..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

First you get four candles...

You could try drill it out..

tried but i haven't got a drill long enough :o

tried to chisel it out but its like teak inside :o

Started a biological inoculant today for the garden.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

fryup wrote: »
    :( did a bit of diggin today and snap!

how do i get the broken bit out of a fork??

I had the same with a hoe this week - I drilled in the biggest screw I could find and then levered it out with a claw hammer. A lot of hard work!

ya you wonder is it worth it? just buy a new one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bill Hook

Started a biological inoculant today for the garden.
    What does this involve?

Bill Hook wrote: »
    What does this involve?

Rice in a jar of water to start with. Then a bigger container with molasses, bacteria sources, soil grass etc and time.
    Plenty of into in the Internet. Adds fungi to your garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Bill Hook

It sounds a bit like the Korean JADAM thing, I read about it last year but I'm too lazy for that sort of stuff. Be interested to hear how it goes so keep us posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

fryup wrote: »
    tried but i haven't got a drill long enough :o

tried to chisel it out but its like teak inside :o

If you have a suitable area or a a firepit you could burn it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,139 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I was very reluctant to try synthetic handled tools but had very little choice in what was available. I have now a couple of True Temper tools and they are fine and not expensive. You might check to see if replacement wooden handles are available before you fight further with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭blackbox

The price of handles is ridiculously high compared to the price of a full tool.

I hate waste but couldn't justify the amount of work required for so little reward.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,535 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

blackbox wrote: »
    The price of handles is ridiculously high compared to the price of a full tool.
    simple supply and demand. they probably sell 100 tools to every one tool handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

simple supply and demand. they probably sell 100 tools to every one tool handle.

My floor mop handle has rusted away... I used to buy from lenahans hardware in Dublin by internet but they seem to be down. They sell handles separately at a fair price

i'd call to a builder's merchants first anyway, they may sell replacement handles are are probably the cheapest option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

i'd call to a builder's merchants first anyway, they may sell replacement handles are are probably the cheapest option.

Lenehans do that. Will try phoning tomorrow. It was on the list I was trying to get to them.

Advertisement