Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Child minder working in my home...

Options
  • 07-04-2021 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering how much on average it costs to have a child minder work in my home for 1 day a week on average? Two children, 1 and 4 years old. I havent a clue how much or where to look for this service??... I'm based in Kildare

Comments

Once its in your own home, its minimum wage per hour, plus you need to register as an employer with Revenue.

However, before you go down that path, you might find it difficult to find someone who will do just one day a week (if it prevents them working a 5 day week somewhere else).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,386 ✭✭✭ando

Once its in your own home, its minimum wage per hour, plus you need to register as an employer with Revenue.

However, before you go down that path, you might find it difficult to find someone who will do just one day a week (if it prevents them working a 5 day week somewhere else).

Bugger, register with Revenue!!!! My wife is on post spinal operation recovery, cant hold the baby for another 10 weeks and I need someone to come in on average once a week while I go to the work office

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was going to suggest Au Pair, but give corona times, I guess that's not practical.

Is the wife going to be there at the same time resting, or also absent? Would a local babysitter not suffice?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Only if you're an idiot.

About €60 is the answer OP.

ando wrote: »
    Bugger, register with Revenue!!!! My wife is on post spinal operation recovery, cant hold the baby for another 10 weeks and I need someone to come in on average once a week while I go to the work office

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just telling you what the legalities are around employing a childminder to work in your own home.

By the way, minimum wage per hour applies to Au-pairs too.

Its up to you if you choose not to do things above board. Once you're aware of and accept the not insignificant risk that you could be opening yourself up to if you don't.

I hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

(eta) FWIW, for your needs, which are temporary, I'd engage with an agency who will take care of all the legal aspects without you having to worry about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ax530

would a babysitter work ? a student living close by ? they would not be away at college these days.
    When we could go places I used to get an older teen to mind my children, if I going out at night , out for a walk or exercise in the evenings and sometimes during day over school holidays when I working at home.
    For the day over holidays I would give her 50€ or 25€ for half day.
    Always found older teens work well as they like doing arts crafts, playing ect.
    I never registered with revenue, was ad hoc when 1 day this week 3 the next ect.
    Hope your wife recovers well.

I'm just telling you what the legalities are around employing a childminder to work in your own home.

He's hiring a self employed contractor. I don't take on a plumber as an employee to do a few bits around the house. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He's hiring a self employed contractor. I don't take on a plumber as an employee to do a few bits around the house. :rolleyes:

Going off topic, but you do if you can't or don't have the time to do them yourself.

OP has already stated the reasons.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

A childminder or au-pair working in the children's home is not a self employed tradesperson.

They are classed as employees and as domestic workers, and as such are entitled to minimum wage, etc.

Look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Hi op, we employ a child minder in our home. Once you're doing this you're classed as an employer and yes you will have to register as one with Revenue and do payroll and pay an appropriate wage. Its straightforward once you have it set up. I didn't want to do things under the table as several au pairs have been able to take cases and get substantial settlements when their employers didn't do what they were supposed to you. Its not an independent contractor when the person is providing child care in your home. Totally different to occasionally providing a service like plumbing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Our children go to Childminder’s home. It’s probably cheaper and they love the change of scene. You could consider that as an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Once its in your own home, its AT LEAST minimum wage per hour, plus you need to register as an employer with Revenue.

Fixed your post.

Advertisement